Devils 2014-2015 Off Season Thread

Jerzey

Anyone go to the Q&A today?

Big issues with it, but it is par for the course with this management. Introducing Zacha like he is Gretzky, he has done nothing YET.

Was impressed with Blitzer that he stayed for the whole draft good on him.

Are you gonna tell us the "big issues" or are they just trivial things that you're blaming on ownership?

LOL at your "big issues".

Today was one of the most smoothly run season ticket holder events I've been to in my 5+ years of attending. Doors opened on time. Lines moved. Food was good. Things weren't just an unorganized mess as usual where no one (attendees or those in charge) know what's going on. I actually really enjoyed the Q&A itself as well. The surprise of Zacha attending was great and an awesome way to introduce him to New Jersey and the fans. I also thought EJ Hradek did a great job running it and asked questions that I actually wanted to know the answer to instead of just fluff. I had a great time today.

Well they didn't start till 4:50 when they were supposed to start at 4.  They didn't really have time for a lot of audience questions, which is probably a good thing judging by half the audience questions.

LOL at your "big issues".

Today was one of the most smoothly run season ticket holder events I've been to in my 5+ years of attending. Doors opened on time. Lines moved. Food was good. Things weren't just an unorganized mess as usual where no one (attendees or those in charge) know what's going on. I actually really enjoyed the Q&A itself as well. The surprise of Zacha attending was great and an awesome way to introduce him to New Jersey and the fans. I also thought EJ Hradek did a great job running it and asked questions that I actually wanted to know the answer to instead of just fluff. I had a great time today.

Yeah I thought EJ did a pretty good job with it too.

i missed the event but would love to know if there was anything of substance to report.

as for EJ, he lives in NJ and works for the NHL doing NHL radio and such. I see him at Devils games often.

nice. I do remember when I was at game 1 of the finals against the Kings. He was outside up on a podium and I yelled hey EJ!! He turned around and was like "Go Devils!!" but I just thought he was just pleasing the home crowd

According to Triumph, EJ is tight with ownership. Loughlin is being phased out, and I would imagine Cangi won't be back once his contract runs out.

Very interesting, didn't know this.

The entire MSG crew is so below average its painful. Wouldn't mind having new faces in there too, although I really do not mind Cangialosi. He grew on me.

Very interesting, didn't know this.

The entire MSG crew is so below average its painful. Wouldn't mind having new faces in there too, although I really do not mind Cangialosi. He grew on me.

This was actually news to me too and news I'd question if the source was a regular poster on a fan board.  I always find the color commentary more annoying in general than the play by play guy.  But I could honestly care less about who calls the games.

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/john-hynes-remembers-new-devil-kyle-palmieri-as-driven-competitive-highlights-from-today-s-event-1.1364850

so many good quotes and encouraging stuff here. I already love Shero and Hynes so much so far. They are doing completely the opposite of what i hated about Lou and Deboer.

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/john-hynes-remembers-new-devil-kyle-palmieri-as-driven-competitive-highlights-from-today-s-event-1.1364850

so many good quotes and encouraging stuff here. I already love Shero and Hynes so much so far. They are doing completely the opposite of what i hated about Lou and Deboer.

Love this.

Love that they're conscious of the young guys on D, and not blocking them out with fvcking useless dead weight veteran defensemen (see: Salvador, Harrold, Fraser).

Love that they're conscious of age when looking at acquiring players. There's a clear understanding that this team needs youth to move forward. The Gomez's and Bernier's needed to be shown the door, and they're doing it.

I'm actually getting excited about this season. I'm not expecting playoffs, but it sounds like we might actually see some progress in lieu of plugging holes with old ex-Devils and/or over-the-hill veterans.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't see Ryder in anyone's lines.. are we just assuming he won't be a starter on opening day?

Ryder's contract is up, he will be a UFA. Shero hasn't mentioned that he won't re-sign him but I think it's probably because it's obvious that Ryder has no intention of playing here anymore after he was healthy scratched for half the year

One of the things I was looking forward to when Lou was finally done was getting a GM that actually said things when questioned. This is great to see.

The fact that he even acknowledged the idea of having an exciting team (when mentioning Ottawa) probably had Lou grinding his teeth.

Also, I do like the fast attack support mantra they are using. Sounds better than status quo.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

One of the things I was looking forward to when Lou was finally done was getting a GM that actually said things when questioned. This is great to see.

The fact that he even acknowledged the idea of having an exciting team (when mentioning Ottawa) probably had Lou grinding his teeth.

Also, I do like the fast attack support mantra they are using. Sounds better than status quo.

Just felt more and more like Lou's time was done here.  Felt like it was time for a change. 

We'll see if Shero's vision comes to fruition, and how long it takes.  But yeah, so far in the early going, he does feel like a breath of fresh air.  No arguments there. 

According to Triumph, EJ is tight with ownership. Loughlin is being phased out, and I would imagine Cangi won't be back once his contract runs out.

Loughlin, while an incredibly nice guy, is absolutely awful at radio PBP. I would have no problem moving Matt to the studio to replace Deb if they wanted to keep him around (if not, I'd be fine with EJ in that role), but they need to bring in Don LaGreca as the full time radio PBP guy. Even though he has become a Rag shill, he's still a NJ guy who is (was) a Devils fan, and he's very good at PBP.

Serious question, would WFAN let a ESPN NY guy have such a prominent role?

I don't think it would be up to WFAN. Pretty sure it would be up to the Devils. Now ESPN may not let LaGreca do it. That I could see. Edited by MadDog2020

Loughlin, while an incredibly nice guy, is absolutely awful at radio PBP. I would have no problem moving Matt to the studio to replace Deb if they wanted to keep him around (if not, I'd be fine with EJ in that role), but they need to bring in Don LaGreca as the full time radio PBP guy. Even though he has become a Rag shill, he's still a NJ guy who is (was) a Devils fan, and he's very good at PBP.

90% of the time you have no clue what's happening when Loughlin does PBP, so I agree in full.

Lou is gone now. Which means my endless rambling and bashing of his decisions is gone too. We're still gonna have to live with the consequences of his actions for quite awhile but i'm gonna try to avoid going back at it. We turned the page and look forward now.

But with Shero wanting to build a FAST, EXCITING team. Ready to take the time to build a good team and no rush everything with patching work. Letting vets walk to give a chance to younger guys. Saying all the right things (and actually answering questions). Seeing Zacha been introduced and mixed with the fans/medias right away makes it look like the management wants to give more to the fans. (hopefully now training camps will be open to public like any other damn team in the league).

It's definitely a breath of fresh air. 

90% of the time you have no clue what's happening when Loughlin does PBP, so I agree in full.

I can't even listen to the Devils radio broadcast. Thankfully the NHL app allows me to stream the away broadcast every time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk