Devils 2014-2015 Off Season Thread

Jerzey

I'm ok with these PTO's. It doesn't mean they have to be signed. Look at Anton Strahlman.

If a kid like blandisi earns a spot, great. If not, a guy like Kennedy or stempniak makes the squad. They will make peanuts.

The only kid forward that is making the team almost for sure is matteau anyway because he is waiver eligible.

I'm ok with these PTO's. It doesn't mean they have to be signed. Look at Anton Strahlman.

If a kid like blandisi earns a spot, great. If not, a guy like Kennedy or stempniak makes the squad. They will make peanuts.

The only kid forward that is making the team almost for sure is matteau anyway because he is waiver eligible.

If we'd have a guy like... Huberdeau or something rotting in the AHL cause were have too many vets taking the spots.... then i'd be pissed. But we have nothing really. I want to see what the kids have but i don't see any of them making the team this year really outside of Matteau like you said

As long as we don't invite any veteran defensemen to camp I'm happy.

There are no forward prospects worth worrying about, honestly.

Let PZ get his games, then send him back to the minors. Matteau makes the squad in a bottom 6 role. Besides them..?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm a fan of the Tlusty move. Cheap, 1 year contract so there is practically no risk and he can provide a nice offensive boost.

I like the Stempniak invite. He's a vet that can fit a positional need. I watched all 53 of his Rangers games last year and he did pretty well in a limited role. Still capable of chipping in all 3 zones and did well in moving the puck in transition. Solid passing numbers for a guy in a bottom 6 role too. I'd have no problem with him making the team out of camp.

I don't feel as strongly about Kennedy as I do Stempniak, but no harm in bringing another vet in.

Stempniak and Kennedy are both solid depth guys - wouldn't mind either of them on the team.  With Tlusty, the Devils now look like this:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri

Henrique-Elias-Tlusty

Ruutu-Josefson-?

Matteau-Gionta/Kalinin-Gionta/Tootoo

So if everyone else flops, having Kennedy or Stempniak to play RW would not be a bad idea at all.

Right. And this still allows Blandisi or Zacha the chance to make it if they really impress

I also imagine that Shero wouldn't have a problem sending Gionta to the AHL to make room for a younger player that was really impressive. 

And fwiw, on Friedman's latest 30 thoughts, there's this

Asked a few execs about an under-the-radar team that might still make an interesting move or two. No overwhelming favourite, although New Jersey was mentioned a few times. GM Ray Shero is taking the long view and his owners are patient (see Philadelphia 76ers), but he’s got a ton of flexibility. It’s not just cap room. After signing Jiri Tlusty, the Devils are at 43 contracts, although it could go to 45 if John Quenneville and Pavel Zacha make the roster. The max is 50.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-what-voynovs-return-to-russia-could-mean/

I also imagine that Shero wouldn't have a problem sending Gionta to the AHL to make room for a younger player that was really impressive.

And fwiw, on Friedman's latest 30 thoughts, there's this

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-what-voynovs-return-to-russia-could-mean/

I'm not sure what "big move" we could make. Aside from Larsson and Severson we don't have a lot of high value players. Well, unless they trade Greene or Schneider, which I don't think is happening. What I could see transpiring NJ taking a terrible contract for a pick/prospect