Devils 2014-2015 Off Season Thread

Jerzey

Jeez , the more I think about it the longer I think this rebuild is going to take. Being generous, let's say NJ is ready to compete for a playoff spot in 2017-2018, so two more seasons after this. Current players under contract:

Mike Cammalleri- top 6 forward..... 35 years old

Adam Henrique- top 6 forward....27 years old

Ryane Clowe- guessing he's not in the picture

Andy Greene- 35 in Oct of 2017

Cory Schneider- 31

Safe to assume Cammalleri and Greene regress a bit- especially Cammy who is oft-injured. That's a top pairing LD we're going to have to find and ANOTHER top 6 forward we may have to upgrade

Edit: Forgot Zajac who will be a fine 3C, passable 2C

Zajac is a 2nd line, 3rd line center paid like a superstar 1st line center. I hope he sends a huge Christmas present every year to Parise and Kovalchuk. Because their play on the ice and abrupt exit made Zajac's worth skyrocket ridiculously. To think he was signed to a $46 million NTC contract by Lou and only had 25 points and 11 goals last year is borderline laughable. 

Zajac is a 2nd line, 3rd line center paid like a superstar 1st line center. I hope he sends a huge Christmas present every year to Parise and Kovalchuk. Because their play on the ice and abrupt exit made Zajac's worth skyrocket ridiculously. To think he was signed to a $46 million NTC contract by Lou and only had 25 points and 11 goals last year is borderline laughable. 

What other NHL superstar center is paid an average $5.75 million per on his contract?  Toews, Malkin, Crosby, etc. are all paid a ton more per year.

I think Zajac's salary is about average IMO.

Zajac is a 2nd line, 3rd line center paid like a superstar 1st line center. I hope he sends a huge Christmas present every year to Parise and Kovalchuk. Because their play on the ice and abrupt exit made Zajac's worth skyrocket ridiculously. 

The same could be said for like 90% of good centers (not superstars like D84 mentioned) around the league. Zajac's numbers say more about how horribly the team's been set up than about him being a "not good" player.

Zajac makes very slightly above average in my opinion, but just so slight that it will appear average after this or next offseason when deals are struck. 

I'd (still) say Zajac is a little better overall player than Rangers' Derrick Brassard and so it makes sense he's making a little bit more money. Put Zajac with Rick Nash (in this year's form) and you'll see similar numbers, or better. Nothing about Zajac's play tells me otherwise. We're a BAD team.

Edited by DJ Eco

It's funny that Zajac gets paid more than John Tavares. Lol. But what's not funny is Zajac will be making between $5.5 to $6 mil until 2020 with a NTC.

zajac is not as much of a flaw as what everyone makes him out to be..he does alot of other things well and we all know what i mean when i say that. Although yes i do agree we do need a little more offensive production out of him but it would help if he had some talent on his wings

Devils need RW and it's debatable how many NHLers that will be available. Two good players that they could take a flier on for relatively cheap and with very little risk:

Toni Rajala:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16035

Bud Holloway:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11620

I really like both guys. Won't be your first liners obviously, but the Devils need players. Both are skilled and can work in your middle six. Rajala certainly fits the "dynamic" description. 

During the WChampionships, and during Josefsons interview after playing France was he mentioned how they really needed to hold a very talented Damien Fleury?(rw) He's not that young but wondered if he was scouted? He scored 5 goals.

It's funny that Zajac gets paid more than John Tavares. Lol. But what's not funny is Zajac will be making between $5.5 to $6 mil until 2020 with a NTC.

You do realize that Zajac signed an extension right before he was to be a UFA while John signed his when he was a RFA right? You know the difference correct?

During the WChampionships, and during Josefsons interview after playing France was he mentioned how they really needed to hold a very talented Damien Fleury?(rw) He's not that young but wondered if he was scouted? He scored 5 goals.

He's wasn't good enough to stick with an SHL club. I don't think he's very good.

Let's check back in 3 years when he's 27 the kind of contract he'll be making. My guess is Toews/Kane money.

He's paid like a superstar? Ha! Overpaid, probably. Paid like a superstar, stupid.

Based on what, 2 cherry-picked contracts?

Ah, there's your cherry picked stat. Go away, troll.

Ahh there he is...Mr. Know-It-All.  I'm guessing your big, condescending mouth is awfully quiet in the presence of actual people, as opposed to typing behind a computer screen like a keyboard warrior. Just a hunch I have...

Ahh there he is...Mr. Know-It-All.  I'm guessing your big, condescending mouth is awfully quiet in the presence of actual people, as opposed to typing behind a computer screen like a keyboard warrior. Just a hunch I have...

Condescending or not, it's clear you don't understand the difference between the leverage a player has when RFA vs UFA. 

O dude cmon. you're comparison of Tavares was ridiculous, don't get all worked up because someone called you out on it

Simple as this. When Tavares is Zajac's age when he signed the extension, his contract will probably be 2 times what Zajac's making. We can thank a rising cap, and the precedent set by the Blackhawks with Kane/Toews.

Edited by DJ Eco

I still see a lot of people (mostly on other message boards and social media) who are STILL whining and acting like Zajac's contract is gigantic.  Is it a long contract?  Yeah it is.  Has he lived up to it?  I would say in all ways except for scoring.  He really needs to put more pucks in the net in the worst kind of way.

However, $5.75M average is basically on-part with what a lot of 2nd line centers make in the league.  He is not making superstar money.  If this was 2009 then this contract would be huge, but it's 2015 and 1st line centers on UFA contracts are making $7M+.

Plus we really aren't in any dire cap situation at all so really it's not a huge deal anyways.

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/05-18-2015/1085/2015-nhl-arena-experience-rankings/

The NHL, and hockey in general, continues to be one of the best games to see live. We've updated our rankings for the 2015 season, and present our list from 1-30. Our ratings take into account the concessions in the arena, the overall atmosphere, the neighborhood where the arena is located, the fans, access to the arena (including traffic, parking, and ability to move around inside), the overall return on investment, and one category for any extras or unusual amenities. We encourage you to share your experiences by rating any arenas you've seen in the NHL. For our full review of each facility, just click on the arena name. Let the debate begin...

25. Prudential Center - Home of the New Jersey Devils

The Devils are an old school franchise. Even though they have fallen on some hard times as an organization, the team still does a good job at creating a solid hockey atmosphere. There are many things around the Prudential Center that showcase the greatness of the Devils franchise. The banners from the 1995, 2000, and 2003 Stanley Cup titles hang prominently from the rafters. Three of the Devils' all-time greats, Scott Niedermayer, Scott Stevens, and Ken Daneyko have their numbers hanging in the rafters of the Prudential Center

Final Thoughts

If you are looking for great hockey, as well as tradition, the Prudential Center is the place for you. It is a much more inexpensive option for hockey fans in the New York City area than Madison Square Garden. The Devils have a great history, great fans, and put a quality product on the ice consistently. The Prudential Center is a beautiful facility, and one you should definitely check out.

Food & Beverage    xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf 5

Atmosphere    xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf 3

Neighborhood    xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf 2

Fans    xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf 4

Access    xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf 4

Return on Investment    xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf 4

Extras    xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf 3

Yikes. 25th. I thought we'd be a lot higher than that.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/05-18-2015/1085/2015-nhl-arena-experience-rankings/

Food & Beverage    xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf 5\

Atmosphere    xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf 3

Neighborhood    xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf 2

Fans    xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf 4

Access    xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf 4

Return on Investment    xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf 4

Extras    xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf 3

NEWARK, NEWARK, NEWARK

Food & Beverage    xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf xui-blue-star.png.pagespeed.ic.IuUYX-JLf 5

That sounds awfully complimentary to land us in 25th place. And he called MSG after the renovations "a work of art", wow.

Edited by DJ Eco

I think we all liked you a lot better when you were Beetlebum...nah, we really didn't like you then either.

So called golden boys O'Neill and Weber failing yet again.

What a disgrace this franchise is becoming. Lou being marginalized, Marty cast aside like an old dish towel, it is disgusting. People can bring up Yzerman moving to Tampa, but his development off the ice was Detroit centric.

absolutely stunning.

Marty being cast aside like an old dish towel is such an ignorant thing to say.  exactly the opposite was the case. we hung on to him longer than we should have and, even then, marty still didn't go without a few passive aggressive comments.

and if you're referring to how you think he should have a place in the front office then im even more stunned by your comments