Jerzey

Devils 2014-2015 Off Season Thread

Mike Richards...the player traded for partying too much, and was too out of shape last year to play in the NHL. Ha! Either way...winning a Stanley Cup is not the way you measure leadership or work ethic. Might as well sign Dustin Penner or Jarret Stoll.

Tootoo, Elias, Henrique, Greene, Zubrus, Ruutu, Zajac, Cammalleri...there's enough leadership in the locker room to pass on any important lessons to the younger players...the younger players that have proven absolutely nothing in the league and have been gifted nothing. They'll be working their ass off as it is anyway. Also, you play for Lou Lamoriello...no need to worry about any of the extra-curricular stuff either.

yeah yeah, he's also the guy who scored only 9 less points than our top line center while playing 27 less games. 

.... Ha. 

yeah yeah, he's also the guy who scored only 9 less points than our top line center while playing 27 less games. 

.... Ha. 

You've lost the argument, so you change the argument. Keep doing you SD.  This comment has absolutely nothing to do with what we were talking about. 

You've lost the argument, so you change the argument. Keep doing you SD.  This comment has absolutely nothing to do with what we were talking about. 

lost the argument? and changing the argument? where? Im saying he'd still be useful here based on the what we have. You say he's sh!t yet he had the same production than our top line center. How is that changing argument?

His salary was a problem in LA. On the cheap Richards would be an upgrade on many of our players and he's been captain in the NHL and yes he's a hard working player, good defensively and plays the game the right way. of course he's not was he was years ago but he's in his early 30s. 

I don't see Ryder in anyone's lines.. are we just assuming he won't be a starter on opening day?

A starter, maybe .. but he's a UFA, so it won't be on a line with NJ. 

Anyone go to the Q&A today?

Big issues with it, but it is par for the course with this management. Introducing Zacha like he is Gretzky, he has done nothing YET. 

Was impressed with Blitzer that he stayed for the whole draft good on him. 

Anyone go to the Q&A today?

Big issues with it, but it is par for the course with this management. Introducing Zacha like he is Gretzky, he has done nothing YET.

Was impressed with Blitzer that he stayed for the whole draft good on him.

Are you gonna tell us the "big issues" or are they just trivial things that you're blaming on ownership?

LOL at your "big issues".

Today was one of the most smoothly run season ticket holder events I've been to in my 5+ years of attending. Doors opened on time. Lines moved. Food was good. Things weren't just an unorganized mess as usual where no one (attendees or those in charge) know what's going on. I actually really enjoyed the Q&A itself as well. The surprise of Zacha attending was great and an awesome way to introduce him to New Jersey and the fans. I also thought EJ Hradek did a great job running it and asked questions that I actually wanted to know the answer to instead of just fluff. I had a great time today.

Well they didn't start till 4:50 when they were supposed to start at 4.  They didn't really have time for a lot of audience questions, which is probably a good thing judging by half the audience questions.

LOL at your "big issues".

Today was one of the most smoothly run season ticket holder events I've been to in my 5+ years of attending. Doors opened on time. Lines moved. Food was good. Things weren't just an unorganized mess as usual where no one (attendees or those in charge) know what's going on. I actually really enjoyed the Q&A itself as well. The surprise of Zacha attending was great and an awesome way to introduce him to New Jersey and the fans. I also thought EJ Hradek did a great job running it and asked questions that I actually wanted to know the answer to instead of just fluff. I had a great time today.

Yeah I thought EJ did a pretty good job with it too.

i missed the event but would love to know if there was anything of substance to report.

as for EJ, he lives in NJ and works for the NHL doing NHL radio and such. I see him at Devils games often.

i missed the event but would love to know if there was anything of substance to report.

as for EJ, he lives in NJ and works for the NHL doing NHL radio and such. I see him at Devils games often.

nice. I do remember when I was at game 1 of the finals against the Kings. He was outside up on a podium and I yelled hey EJ!! He turned around and was like "Go Devils!!" but I just thought he was just pleasing the home crowd

What's EJs history with the team? Like why is he at the event?

According to Triumph, EJ is tight with ownership. Loughlin is being phased out, and I would imagine Cangi won't be back once his contract runs out.

• Like 1

According to Triumph, EJ is tight with ownership. Loughlin is being phased out, and I would imagine Cangi won't be back once his contract runs out.

Very interesting, didn't know this.

The entire MSG crew is so below average its painful. Wouldn't mind having new faces in there too, although I really do not mind Cangialosi. He grew on me.

Very interesting, didn't know this.

The entire MSG crew is so below average its painful. Wouldn't mind having new faces in there too, although I really do not mind Cangialosi. He grew on me.

This was actually news to me too and news I'd question if the source was a regular poster on a fan board.  I always find the color commentary more annoying in general than the play by play guy.  But I could honestly care less about who calls the games.

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/john-hynes-remembers-new-devil-kyle-palmieri-as-driven-competitive-highlights-from-today-s-event-1.1364850

so many good quotes and encouraging stuff here. I already love Shero and Hynes so much so far. They are doing completely the opposite of what i hated about Lou and Deboer.

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/john-hynes-remembers-new-devil-kyle-palmieri-as-driven-competitive-highlights-from-today-s-event-1.1364850

so many good quotes and encouraging stuff here. I already love Shero and Hynes so much so far. They are doing completely the opposite of what i hated about Lou and Deboer.

Love this.

Love that they're conscious of the young guys on D, and not blocking them out with fvcking useless dead weight veteran defensemen (see: Salvador, Harrold, Fraser).

Love that they're conscious of age when looking at acquiring players. There's a clear understanding that this team needs youth to move forward. The Gomez's and Bernier's needed to be shown the door, and they're doing it.

I'm actually getting excited about this season. I'm not expecting playoffs, but it sounds like we might actually see some progress in lieu of plugging holes with old ex-Devils and/or over-the-hill veterans.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't see Ryder in anyone's lines.. are we just assuming he won't be a starter on opening day?

Ryder's contract is up, he will be a UFA. Shero hasn't mentioned that he won't re-sign him but I think it's probably because it's obvious that Ryder has no intention of playing here anymore after he was healthy scratched for half the year

One of the things I was looking forward to when Lou was finally done was getting a GM that actually said things when questioned. This is great to see.

The fact that he even acknowledged the idea of having an exciting team (when mentioning Ottawa) probably had Lou grinding his teeth.

Also, I do like the fast attack support mantra they are using. Sounds better than status quo.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

One of the things I was looking forward to when Lou was finally done was getting a GM that actually said things when questioned. This is great to see.

The fact that he even acknowledged the idea of having an exciting team (when mentioning Ottawa) probably had Lou grinding his teeth.

Also, I do like the fast attack support mantra they are using. Sounds better than status quo.

Just felt more and more like Lou's time was done here.  Felt like it was time for a change. 

We'll see if Shero's vision comes to fruition, and how long it takes.  But yeah, so far in the early going, he does feel like a breath of fresh air.  No arguments there. 

Loughlin, while an incredibly nice guy, is absolutely awful at radio PBP. I would have no problem moving Matt to the studio to replace Deb if they wanted to keep him around (if not, I'd be fine with EJ in that role), but they need to bring in Don LaGreca as the full time radio PBP guy. Even though he has become a Rag shill, he's still a NJ guy who is (was) a Devils fan, and he's very good at PBP.