Devils 2014-2015 Off Season Thread

Jerzey

Have we bought out Zubrus yet? i'd surely re-sign Gomez before keeping Zubrus. Say i wouldnt be counting pennies

1 year of $4 million of waste or 2 years of $2 million wasted? Let's be real here.

We're not going to be contenders this season, why suffer Zubrus' contract anymore than absolutely necessary?

Wonder if we'll dip into the Undrafted UFA market at all, I was very surprised to see Denis Godla out of Slovakia go undrafted. Guy won Top Goaltender and Tournament MVP at the WJC's, maybe bring this guy on so your 1-2 in Albany can be Wedge and Godla? In 2 years when Blackwood is ready to step into the AHL, Wedge won't be there (either moved on or backup in NHL) and the 1-2 at that point can be Blackwood-Godla. Never a bad idea to stock the cupboards in youth at any position, I think a signing like that would be beneficial. Same scenario would work for Veini Vehvilainen out of Finland.

Ryder's contract is up, he will be a UFA. Shero hasn't mentioned that he won't re-sign him but I think it's probably because it's obvious that Ryder has no intention of playing here anymore after he was healthy scratched for half the year

He stunk up the joint!  No one in their right mind would sign this guy.

Wonder if we'll dip into the Undrafted UFA market at all, I was very surprised to see Denis Godla out of Slovakia go undrafted. Guy won Top Goaltender and Tournament MVP at the WJC's, maybe bring this guy on so your 1-2 in Albany can be Wedge and Godla? In 2 years when Blackwood is ready to step into the AHL, Wedge won't be there (either moved on or backup in NHL) and the 1-2 at that point can be Blackwood-Godla. Never a bad idea to stock the cupboards in youth at any position, I think a signing like that would be beneficial. Same scenario would work for Veini Vehvilainen out of Finland.

With Maxime Clermont gone, I can't help but think that's the kind of move they will have to make for sure. 

One guy I had my eye on was Eetu Laurikainen but he signed with Edmonton in May. I don't have my full list in front of me but one guy I'd have some interest in is Ken Appleby who just helped Oshawa to a Memorial Cup. He is 6'4", 205 lbs. and was just passed over in his 3rd draft year. He has solid numbers though with a .918 SV% in 92 OHL games. This past season he had a .924 SV% with a Goals Saved Above Average of 33.24 which was 3rd among OHL goalies. In 2013-14 he had a .920 SV% with a GSAA of 12.26 which put him 9th among OHL goalies.

She's fine, but she does so much of the matter of fact commentary. "Yeah Mike Devils are down 3-0 so they definitely will want to score some goals"

I blame that on having the freaking Ben Stein of play by play sitting next to her.

I'll never forget listening to a playoff road game on a long drive and not realizing we had scored until Sherri broke the play down saying what a great goal. Laughlin is so damn poor.

Since I'm pretty lazy, and didn't read anything from the STH event this week, why are we talking about replacing Laughlin? Just cause EJ was running the Q & A?

Semin was placed on waivers with the intent to buyout his contract.

I would love to take him on with a 1 year/1.5 million "show me" deal. Best case senerio he becomes the first line winger we need and rebounds tremendously. Worst case? One year, we don't re-sign him or trade him midseason

I would love to take him on with a 1 year/1.5 million "show me" deal. Best case senerio he becomes the first line winger we need and rebounds tremendously. Worst case? One year, we don't re-sign him or trade him midseason

honestly this is another no-brainer to me.  sign him and MSL for one-year deals.  that gives us MSL, Palmieri, Semin down the right side.  Ill take that with MINIMAL repurcussions

Except lot of other teams will think the same about Semin.. and quickly the smart 1.5m for one year will goes up to something not as smart and too risky...

The same can be said about Frolik who is seen as the top price... It should be a bad FA year to have such a player being the new Vanek, Parise or... Semin ; ) 

Frolik is not a bad player and does a lot of different things pretty well (except PP)... but i'm pretty sure someone will overpayed .. Maybe not MASSIVELY but... enough to be seen as a bad idea

And yes. It could be us ! 

You would think deals like the David Clarkson one would give teams some pause before overpaying for the likes of Michael Frolik or Matt Beleskey every year...Yet here we are, with teams lining up to gladly overpay. No one ever learns.

Edited by MadDog2020

If there were going to be a bidding war for Semin, then the Canes would've just traded him with half the salary retained.  It's that no one wanted him unless they gave up more to get rid of him.  I can see him signing for a year 2 mil but not much more.

Not that i wanna break the bank for him.. But what's wrong with this player ? 

His stats are inflated. More than half of his scoring came on lines centered by Getzlaf or Kesler. He's not likely to replicate that here. He could, but the terms he's going to get are a turnoff. He is legitimately David Clarkson 2.0.

Edited by ghdi

You would love to, but there is no way he's going to sign for that little. If he gets offers like that, he goes to Russia.

The only way we get him on a one year deal is with money. I honestly see no problem giving Semin 1 year at 4-5M per. We're not going to be anywhere near the cap this year. Worst case scenario he's sh!t and gone a year from now. Best case he produces and we re-sign him at a fair deal or some playoff team gives us a nice return for him at the deadline. The money is not the problem for us with a guy like Semin, we can outbid someone easily for a one year deal, but we dont want to get locked into a lengthy deal with him.

There are very few guys I would even consider more than 1 year for from this crop. One guy also waived today I wouldnt mind kicking the tires on is Cody Hodgson, but obviously not at his current term.

You would think deals like the David Clarkson one would give teams some pause before overpaying for the likes of Michael Frolik or Matt Beleskey every year...Yet here we are, with teams lining up to gladly overpay. No one ever learns.

Have you ever watched Michael Frolik? He isn't a flash in the pan player, and was drafted in the top 10.