Jerzey

Devils 2014-2015 Off Season Thread

I'm a fan of the Tlusty move. Cheap, 1 year contract so there is practically no risk and he can provide a nice offensive boost.

I like the Stempniak invite. He's a vet that can fit a positional need. I watched all 53 of his Rangers games last year and he did pretty well in a limited role. Still capable of chipping in all 3 zones and did well in moving the puck in transition. Solid passing numbers for a guy in a bottom 6 role too. I'd have no problem with him making the team out of camp.

I don't feel as strongly about Kennedy as I do Stempniak, but no harm in bringing another vet in.

Stempniak and Kennedy are both solid depth guys - wouldn't mind either of them on the team.  With Tlusty, the Devils now look like this:

Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri

Henrique-Elias-Tlusty

Ruutu-Josefson-?

Matteau-Gionta/Kalinin-Gionta/Tootoo

So if everyone else flops, having Kennedy or Stempniak to play RW would not be a bad idea at all.

Right. And this still allows Blandisi or Zacha the chance to make it if they really impress

I also imagine that Shero wouldn't have a problem sending Gionta to the AHL to make room for a younger player that was really impressive. 

And fwiw, on Friedman's latest 30 thoughts, there's this

Asked a few execs about an under-the-radar team that might still make an interesting move or two. No overwhelming favourite, although New Jersey was mentioned a few times. GM Ray Shero is taking the long view and his owners are patient (see Philadelphia 76ers), but he’s got a ton of flexibility. It’s not just cap room. After signing Jiri Tlusty, the Devils are at 43 contracts, although it could go to 45 if John Quenneville and Pavel Zacha make the roster. The max is 50.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-what-voynovs-return-to-russia-could-mean/

I also imagine that Shero wouldn't have a problem sending Gionta to the AHL to make room for a younger player that was really impressive.

And fwiw, on Friedman's latest 30 thoughts, there's this

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-what-voynovs-return-to-russia-could-mean/

I'm not sure what "big move" we could make. Aside from Larsson and Severson we don't have a lot of high value players. Well, unless they trade Greene or Schneider, which I don't think is happening. What I could see transpiring NJ taking a terrible contract for a pick/prospect

This team may be a pain in the ass to play against. All of a sudden we have really solid depth guys in the bottom 6 and a faster top 6.

iam not expecting us to be "good" or atleast im trying to not expect that.it will hopefully have me set up for less disappointment in the end..but i think we could be better than alot of people are thinking so far. hopefully they surprise us

This team may be a pain in the ass to play against. All of a sudden we have really solid depth guys in the bottom 6 and a faster top 6.

we'll probably stick around the same formula...we'll play good, keep possession of the puck and play well all game, Schneider will stand on his head but we won't be able to score and lose by a goal every single game.

Last year: Komisarek, Kaberle, Fedotenko on PTOs

This year: Kennedy, Stempniak, signed Tlusty late

Its refreshing not seeing early-mid 2000s players at camp.

Edited by Mayday

Or over the hill garbage guys who MIGHT work out if they got 100 rabbit feet up their asses.

Nice not having an antiquated approach

It was borderline embarrassing.

To play devil's advocate though, the truth is that the free agency/PTO/UFA market was crazy different last year (and most previous years) than it is this year.

The market forces created a situation where Tlusty was still unsigned in mid-September and Stempniak needs a tryout. But, yes, to Shero's credit, we stood pat and stayed patient, didn't make any stupid moves; and when September rolled around, we were one of the few teams able to make these signings and possibly accommodate some more players on the roster. We still may be able to pull off an Isles-like Leddy/Boychuk trade, who knows...

Win/win.

Edited by DJ Eco

It was borderline embarrassing.

to me it was straight up embarassing really haha 

i wouldnt mind having a below 30 years old player doing well on a PTO and sticking around for depth.

To play devil's advocate though, the truth is that the free agency/PTO/UFA market was crazy different last year (and most previous years) than it is this year.

The market forces created a situation where Tlusty was still unsigned in mid-September and Stempniak needs a tryout. But, yes, to Shero's credit, we stood pat and stayed patient, didn't make any stupid moves; and when September rolled around, we were one of the few teams able to make these signings and possibly accommodate some more players on the roster. We still may be able to pull off an Isles-like Leddy/Boychuk trade, who knows...

Win/win.

Tlusty said that the Devils were talking to him all summer.  Shero also said 'we have a few things going on' all summer.  In a normal summer they'd've had to pay Tlusty more than $800,000, so Shero did a fine job of waiting out the market on that one.