What NHL forward is currently worth the 6th pick

sundstrom

There was some discussion over Twitter last night about how the Devils would be inclined to trade the 6th pick for a current NHL forward. While I don't believe there is an NHL forward that another team would trade for 6th that makes sense for NJ, I wanted to list any forward that I would consider trading #6 for knowing exactly the shape the Devils are in - namely that they are far from one forward away from being a successful team.

Here is a list of forwards that I think you could conceivably link to #6

Corey Perry - would. no chance he's traded NMC

Ryan Getzlaf - would. no chance he's traded NMC

Patrice Bergeron -  30 years old. 7 more years on his contract. no thanks.

Milan Lucic - even though this is Neely 2.0 and that's who runs the team and wants more guys like him, i suppose he'd be considered. one more year until UFA so can't even consider it.

David Krejci - intriguing - but gets expensive quickly. basically what the devils were hoping zajac would be.

Johnny Gaudreau - would. no chance. why would calgary do this?

Sean Monahan - would. no chance. why would calgary do this?

Eric Staal - expensive, older, UFA in a year. downward slope of his career - would be a mistake of epic proportions

Jordan Staal - overrated, not offensive enough - makes no sense.

Jeff Skinner - coming off a terrible year - devils don't need LW. not worth the gamble

Marian Hossa - very good player but a lot of miles already on him and wouldn't be enough on his own. also very expensive and has cap recapture on him if that matters.

Patrick Sharp - starting to slow down, older. screams of a team not realizing that they need to rebuild and thinks they're better than they are

Matt Duschene - would. don't know why Colorado would though

Ryan O'Reilly - i like him, but i think 6 is too much. the fact that he is unsigned after next year is also a big time flag.

Gabriel Landeskog - would. no chance Colorado would.

Nathan MacKinnon - would. no chance Colorado would.

Ryan Johansen - would. no chance Columbus would.

Tyler Seguin - would. no chance Dallas would.

Jamie Benn - would. no chance Dallas would.

Val Nichuskin - intriguing but would pass. not enough of a track record to know if it's worth the gamble.

Taylor Hall - probably would. but miles and injuries already on him worry me. i don't think edmonton will deal him.

Ryan Nugent Hopkins - would. who knows how edmonton is going to play this out.

Jordan Eberle - no. way overrated and would be the type of move that someone sees more than is there and gives too much for him.

Sasha Barkov - don't think FL would and I'm not convinced that it makes sense for either team at this point.

Jonathan Huberdeau - would. don't see why FL would.

Anze Kopitar - would. no chance. LA won't move him.

Jeff Carter - would, but wouldn't be happy about it because there's already age there and he's proven that when he's not happy, you don't want him.

Zach Parise. Ha. won't happen and wouldn't want it to.

Max Pachioretty - would. don't love adding another LW to the mix but he's very good and worth #6.

Alex Galchenyuk - not good enough for #6.

Filip Forsberg - would. no reason for Nashville to do this.

James Neal - would not. doesn't advance the ball enough for NJ to part with #6.

John Tavares - would. no chance he's traded

Kyle Okposo - i like him but not enough for #6.

Ryan Strome - would think about it but in the end, probably not enough for #6

Derek Steppan - would but why bother discussing.

Mika Zabinijad - no - hasn't proven that he's the real thing so why gamble #6 on this.

Claude Giroux - would but why bother discussing.

Jakob Voracek - would but why bother discussing.

Gino Malkin - would. will never happen

Sidney Crosby - would. will never happen

Patrick Hornqvist - not remotely enough for #6

Chris Kunitz - absolutely not. this would be a fireable offense.

Joe Thornton - no. too old. devils are too far away for his impact to really help

Patrick Marleau - no. looks like he is on decline.

Logan Couture - would. can't see SJ doing it.

Joe Pavelski - would but age frightens me.

Thomas Hertl - not fooled by rookie campaign. too risky.

Alexander Steen - too old and not fooled by last year's good year

David Backes - no. one more year until UFA. wrong side of 30

TJ Oshie - no. just not enough offense of out him on his own.

Jaden Schwartz - would. don't see why blues would though.

Vlad Tarasendko - would. don't see why blues would though.

Steven Stamkos - would. will never happen.

Jonathan Drouin - probably would but lack of shot totals scares me that he might not be a goal scorer in the NHL.

Phil Kessel - discussed ad nauseum. would not. expensive. would be the type of salary that could stop devils from doing other things eventually. saving grace is he's a RW who scores. Devils #1 priority.

James Van Reimsdyk - would rather it to Kessel but still not sure. borderline if I'd go with this. but he's another LW, the one thing the Devils do not have open roster spots for right now.

Nazim Kadri - not good enough for #6.

Tyler Bozak - see Chris Kunitz only worse.

Bo Horvat - i don't see that this is a move that makes sense at this point. wouldn't even know what to think of it.

Alex Ovechkin - would. will never happen

Nick Backstrom - would. will never happen.

Blake Wheeler - not nearly enough for #6

_____

In a previous thread, Triumph stated that the Devils should not be trading this pick for a player and I have to agree. If they want to turn 6 into say, 8 and 38 from Columbus, I think you have to do that.

if toronto want to go into full tank mode and deal say, kessel (with retained salary) and JVR for #6 and gelinas, ok. but i just don't see it happening.

Galchenyuk not good enough for 6?? I would take him... Really love his play.

And i would take Kessel if we can bargain something. I have to say a number 6 overall could be a great player, but you have to consider that it could end up being nothing. I wouldn't be surprise if we get kessel (with retained salary) for pick number 6. He have a lot of year in front of him and would put us on the playoff map quickly.

Rantanen, Barzal or other might become great player, but you have to admit that Kessel's production is attractive. those guy would pan out in the Nhl in 2-3 years... I think we have to try to be competitive more quickly for 2 reason.,

Our defense will be at his highest level in 2 seasons.

Schneider would still be great in net.

Boucher should have become a top 6 forward. (Matteau part of the top 9)

So in my mind... I would love drafting 6. But i can understand Dealing for Kessel.

Other things, i think by winning the lottery, The Oilers will try to trade one of their young stud. We need to trade a young defense... Would try to get Yakupov or RNH for sure.

Thinking about the Devils next year with boucher + Matteau in and having Kessel and Yakupov up front look sexy for sure.

I made a thread two weeks ago discussing the merits of trading the pick andt seems like general thought was that he return would not justify moving it. The feeling I get is that because out forward prospect pool is so dry, the hope that is attached to the pick is exponentially increased.

I think the closest value straight up would be a guy like JVR. Anyone like couture or Schwartz and we'd have to add.

I'm fine holding onto the pick, but realistically whoever we draft is unlikely to be a top line player like most of the guys you listed.

No way I think the pick should be moved, but I wouldn't be upset if it was Barkov for some reason. I can't imagine it happening, Florida should be coming up in the next few years. They won't be happy with the run they made this year next season.

I'm watching bo horvat and I need some convincing from myself that Schneider was worth it. Bringing him in would be fantastic. But don't move the pick.

Edited by thecoffeecake

I made a thread two weeks ago discussing the merits of trading the pick andt seems like general thought was that he return would not justify moving it. The feeling I get is that because out forward prospect pool is so dry, the hope that is attached to the pick is exponentially increased.

I think the closest value straight up would be a guy like JVR. Anyone like couture or Schwartz and we'd have to add.

I'm fine holding onto the pick, but realistically whoever we draft is unlikely to be a top line player like most of the guys you listed.

That's why i'm not against a Kessel trade.

A desperate, out-of-touch, selfish GM would trade the 6th pick. I have trouble seeing a deal that really works for both teams out there with that pick.

A guy like Kessel has had the unfortunate issue of never playing with a good center in Toronto. It's just as bad here. That's the main issue with any winger the Devils trade for.

A desperate, out-of-touch, selfish GM would trade the 6th pick. I have trouble seeing a deal that really works for both teams out there with that pick.

A guy like Kessel has had the unfortunate issue of never playing with a good center in Toronto. It's just as bad here. That's the main issue with any winger the Devils trade for.

This. Keep the pick and draft the best forward on the board. If Lou trades this pick for Phil fvcking Kessel, I'll go catatonic.

This is supposedly the strongest draft since '03. Yes, where we're picking there is our John Tavares, our Ryan Strome, our Jordan Eberle.  I want Lou/Conte to pick somebody that even if they need another year of "seasoning" .  I want this over JVR, or Skinner etc. 

• Like 1

what is this I don't even... It's not like we're taking about trading for a plug or grinder, anyone mentioned here is a bonafide top line player, something we desperately need and have probably a 1 in 4 chance of getting via daft at #6.

Kessel had the unfortunate issue of never playing with a center yet he scores goals at a rate that anyone on our current roster can't even dream of. But I agree we should be prioritizing centers over wingers, especially lw.

This is supposedly the strongest draft since '03. Yes, where we're picking there is our John Tavares, our Ryan Strome, our Jordan Eberle. I want Lou/Conte to pick somebody that even if they need another year of "seasoning" . I want this over JVR, or Skinner etc.

we could just as likely draft the next jessiman, fehr, or bernier, who were all taken in that 03 draft over guys like kesler, perry and getzlaf.

Nhl scouts and gms do not have a sterling record of picking talent in the draft- it is very much of a crapshoot. That 03 draft is considered the strongest ever and even then out of the 23 forwards taken in the first round only 9-10 went on to become consistent top 6 guys.

At 6 we are much more likely to draft someone like Nathan Horton or Devon setoguchi than we are a Tavares.

Edited by dmann422

This is supposedly the strongest draft since '03. Yes, where we're picking there is our John Tavares, our Ryan Strome, our Jordan Eberle.  I want Lou/Conte to pick somebody that even if they need another year of "seasoning" .  I want this over JVR, or Skinner etc. 

What they say about this draft is that it's as good as top ten to fifteen as you're likely to see for a while.  According to Pronman it's a fairly deep draft after that, but not like 2003.  2013 was actually thought to be the closest to 2003 so far as depth. 

So far as ending up with a  mehish player like Nathan Horton, it's unfortunately a risk that the Devils have to take unless the return is really good.  Florida would have been just as bad had they traded that Nathan Horton pick for a declining forward. 

You just know Lou is moving this pick, guys.

Patrick Sharp or someone from Boston (Lucic?) are the ones that jump out at me.

And I'll be furious if it happens.

NO CHANCE that he deals this pick for either of the two you mentioned.  theres just no way. i don't think i'd give up a 2nd for either of those guys

You just know Lou is moving this pick, guys.

Patrick Sharp or someone from Boston (Lucic?) are the ones that jump out at me.

And I'll be furious if it happens.

If that happens Lou should be instantly fired. Like walked out on the spot. This would be a terrible, terrible return for a 6th. 

Lou should just pick the best available player at 6 in the draft and move on.  Unless a team comes to you with a decent proposal there is no need to go blowing your wad on players past their prime.

For example, if a team like EDM comes to Lou calling to see if he's interested in Hall / Eberle / Yakupov or if Toronto comes calling to see if Lou is interested in Kessel or JVR, then there is no need to actively seek a trade.

I would love my darndest to see Patrick Kane in a Devils uniform some day, but I have a better chance to see Torts coach the Devils to a SC championship than seeing Kane in a Devils uniform.

he won't trade 6 for anything but a surefire 1st liner that is locked up for minimum 3 years if it's a player. again, i think that depending on how the picks fall, i would deal 6 with columbus for 8 and 38. a 1st and 3 2nds in this draft would be pretty good.

I only think Columbus makes that move if someone like Hannifin is available, and at that point you could probably get a little more.  If they're looking for defense, they should end up with one of Zerenski or Provorov if they stay put.  I would only see them trading up for a forward if Marner is available, but he's someone I would want the Devils to take if he's still available.