What NHL forward is currently worth the 6th pick

sundstrom

You just know Lou is moving this pick, guys.

Patrick Sharp or someone from Boston (Lucic?) are the ones that jump out at me.

And I'll be furious if it happens.

Ok stop. Lou isn't trading the 6th pick in the draft for 32-year old Patrick Sharp or fvcking Milan Lucic. Lou gets a lot of sh!t, and he deserves criticism, but it's this kind of post that drives me nuts. Lou may be on the downside, but if he made a trade like this, I'd be the first one angling to put him in an assisted living facility.

You just know Lou is moving this pick, guys.

Patrick Sharp or someone from Boston (Lucic?) are the ones that jump out at me.

And I'll be furious if it happens.

Lucic's and Sharp's stock are as low as they've ever been (Lucic, for reasons of a bad season, and Sharp for cap/age reasons). He can get either of these guys for much cheaper. With the cap situation the way it is, Chicago and Boston will be begging for suitors for these two.

Edited by DJ Eco

he won't trade 6 for anything but a surefire 1st liner that is locked up for minimum 3 years if it's a player. again, i think that depending on how the picks fall, i would deal 6 with columbus for 8 and 38. a 1st and 3 2nds in this draft would be pretty good.

100% agreed. I know with the recent results it's easy to sh!t on Lou but when's the last time he's made a bad trade? I mean you at least have to give him some respect in that area.

what is this I don't even... It's not like we're taking about trading for a plug or grinder, anyone mentioned here is a bonafide top line player, something we desperately need and have probably a 1 in 4 chance of getting via daft at #6.

Kessel had the unfortunate issue of never playing with a center yet he scores goals at a rate that anyone on our current roster can't even dream of. But I agree we should be prioritizing centers over wingers, especially lw.

It's big picture here. The Devils have 1 top 6 forward. They need to draft and develop their own forwards. Take a step back and grab a forward with the 6th pick, then grab a forward next year in the top 10. No one is going to deal a young proven top line winger for a 6th overall pick anyway.

Let the Devils sink or swim next year, but don't throw a life jacket for next season. If everything clicks, and this team somehow makes the playoffs, so be it. But for now, I'll gladly take two forwards with the 6th pick and then let the chips fall with a similar roster next season.

Edited by devilsrule33

Ok stop. Lou isn't trading the 6th pick in the draft for 32-year old Patrick Sharp or fvcking Milan Lucic. Lou gets a lot of sh!t, and he deserves criticism, but it's this kind of post that drives me nuts. Lou may be on the downside, but if he made a trade like this, I'd be the first one angling to put him in an assisted living facility.

To everyone, but particularly you MD:  I'm not trying to outright bash Lou here, but whether he's of the opinion that Devils need a rebuild, or are "a piece" away from being in the playoffs is up for debate imo.

I really don't think it's outlandish to think that Lou will consider a package of a veteran player and a pick for our 6th.  Again, just imo.

To everyone, but particularly you MD: I'm not trying to outright bash Lou here, but whether he's of the opinion that Devils need a rebuild, or are "a piece" away from being in the playoffs is up for debate imo.

I really don't think it's outlandish to think that Lou will consider a package of a veteran player and a pick for our 6th. Again, just imo.

I don't think it's outlandish at all to think Lou could trade the pick for immediate help. But Lou isn't senile here. He knows how it works. He isn't gonna trade that pick for an older vet or a soon-to-be UFA like Ryan O'Reilly. If he moved it, it'll be for an established NHL player who can score and is under 30 years old. Think Taylor Hall. Now I don't think Edmonton would move Hall for #6 straight up- but that is the type of player Lou would be looking to add if he moves the pick.

It's big picture here. The Devils have 1 top 6 forward. They need to draft and develop their own forwards. Take a step back and grab a forward with the 6th pick, then grab a forward next year in the top 10. No one is going to deal a young proven top line winger for a 6th overall pick anyway.

Let the Devils sink or swim next year, but don't throw a life jacket for next season. If everything clicks, and this team somehow makes the playoffs, so be it. But for now, I'll gladly take two forwards with the 6th pick and then let the chips fall with a similar roster next season.

I am not sold on trading the pick, but the thing that concerns me is there is uncertainty in who we should pick at 6- just look at the posts in this page alone and there are disagreements. Not all of Brazal, marner, crouse, etc will be top 6 players. Some of these guys have been ranked anywhere from 4-15 in various rankings, and prospects are a lot like cars- once you take them off the lot their value drops. The pick is likely more valuable now than the prospect we pick there will ever be.

Obviously the return has to be right, but people saying they are 100% against trading the pick are obtuse.

I am not sold on trading the pick, but the thing that concerns me is there is uncertainty in who we should pick at 6- just look at the posts in this page alone and there are disagreements. Not all of Brazal, marner, crouse, etc will be top 6 players. Some of these guys have been ranked anywhere from 4-15 in various rankings, and prospects are a lot like cars- once you take them off the lot their value drops. The pick is likely more valuable now than the prospect we pick there will ever be.

Obviously the return has to be right, but people saying they are 100% against trading the pick are obtuse.

I've already explained why I said that. We will not get the return you think we're going to get with just that pick. We're going to have to add something pretty substantial to get a good return. Our assets suck right now. Losing two assets for one doesn't make sense. It's basic math.

If we were a team with a wealth of assets like Nashville or the Islanders then sure, package the pick. But we're not.

Also Barzal can potentially be our 1c. We haven't had a true 1c in years. It's worth the risk, to me at least, to see if he can become that. Then trade Gelinas + a 2nd for some young scoring help. To me that's getting the best out of the assets we have. Trading the pick is a panic move IMO.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

A sixth round pick doesn't guarantee a player who is going to make a big change for a franchise and teams know that. They won't overvalue pick #6. Just for reference...

2000 - Scott Hartnell

2001 - Mikko Koivu

2002 - Scottie Upshall

2003 - Milan Michalek

2004 - Al Montoya

2005 - Gilbert Brule

2006 - Derick Brassard

2007 - Sam Gagner

2008 - Nikita Filatov

2009 - Oliver Ekman-Larsson

2010 - Brett Connolly

2011 - Mika Zibanejad

Also Barzal can potentially be our 1c. We haven't had a true 1c in years. It's worth the risk, to me at least, to see if he can become that. Then trade Gelinas + a 2nd for some young scoring help. To me that's getting the best out of the assets we have. Trading the pick is a panic move IMO.

I just said I don't love barzal, but this is a plan I think a lot of people could get behind. Add a potential 1c with the pick, whoever it is, and package gelinas and a pick for another top 6 forward. Adding one half way decent free agent anywhere, d or forward, that's a team I'm really excited to watch come October. It's not going to be a playoff contending group, but I think we'd be a year away from being close with a really young core.

I've already explained why I said that. We will not get the return you think we're going to get with just that pick. We're going to have to add something pretty substantial to get a good return. Our assets suck right now. Losing two assets for one doesn't make sense. It's basic math.

If we were a team with a wealth of assets like Nashville or the Islanders then sure, package the pick. But we're not.

this is fine, I can totally get behind this. What I take issue with is the idea that trading it is a "panic" move. All I've said is that if the return is enough, I'd be willing to move it or package it.

Neither of us know what the return could be, it would depend on teams being in cap or rebuild situations. Value is relative to every team.

A sixth round pick doesn't guarantee a player who is going to make a big change for a franchise and teams know that. They won't overvalue pick #6. Just for reference...

2000 - Scott Hartnell

2001 - Mikko Koivu

2002 - Scottie Upshall

2003 - Milan Michalek

2004 - Al Montoya

2005 - Gilbert Brule

2006 - Derick Brassard

2007 - Sam Gagner

2008 - Nikita Filatov

2009 - Oliver Ekman-Larsson

2010 - Brett Connolly

2011 - Mika Zibanejad

just a reminder that we traded ninth overall two years ago for Cory, who was our MVP this year and looks to be a top 5 goalie in the league, and there is only one player on this list that ever in their career exceeded Cory's current value. Edited by dmann422

Pffff in your dreams you'd the be first one. I've been waiting in line for years now.

This is what's gonna happen:

Lou keeps the #6 pick and drafts Matt O'Connor from Boston U, forgetting that he's an undrafted free agent goaltender and could have him for no pick at all.

Most of the board implodes and then erupts on a manhunt for Lamoriello.

A minority from the board sets up defenses outside of Lamoriello's office while also having celebratory drinks as they feel we finally have our goalie of the future and Lou has made yet another flawless move.

I sit back and laugh hysterically as they come to take me away in a sleeveless coat to a nice-padded wall room for the remainder of my days.

Lou doesn't have to trade this pick, if Lou wants, when its his turn he can walk up to the podium pick player x.  Every team knows the Devils need offense, so if a team want our pick Lou can decide how much or how little it will take to get the pick from him.  If Lou does make the trade I think it will be a team that is in cap hell like Boston

What I would offer Toronto is this.

6th, Merrill, Panthers 2nd, and Boucher for Kessel and Nylander

What I would offer Edmonton is this.

6th, Merrill, for RNH (Larsson for Merrill if asked)  and since I then have a top center, I find a way to get kessel (zajac? Henrique? + 2nds)