Changes to Prudential Center

DevsMan84

Or to drown out our own fans.  Either way, the volume was ear splitting at times.  Not sure I buy it being the equipment as much as what they were trying to accomplish with it.

If they were drowning out our own fans, they would only do it during the goal song.  It was ear-splitting the entire game.  I think it is both partially just the volume level and partially the actual equipment.  Went to the pre-season game at Barclays that was loud, but didn't have that ear-splitting noise to it that our sound system has.

Besides the horrible sound the timing is also bad which has nothing to do with the equipment.  I had season tickets until this past year and there were plenty of times (in past seasons) the crowd would start a "Marty" or other chant and they would blast the music and drown it out.  That is just clueless when the fans are actually cheering and you still blast the bad music.

I have to admit I really do not remember chants being interrupted by the sound system.  I say this because I rarely heard any chants to begin with that didn't somehow involve the Rangers, Flyers or Crosby.

I do think the song selection is lame and is getting worse every year.  It seems that heavy metal is on a lot of fans wish lists that I've heard either on here, twitter, FB, etc. but I don't think it should be mostly that either.  They really do need to get a better play list going.

I have to admit I really do not remember chants being interrupted by the sound system.  I say this because I rarely heard any chants to begin with that didn't somehow involve the Rangers, Flyers or Crosby.

I do think the song selection is lame and is getting worse every year.  It seems that heavy metal is on a lot of fans wish lists that I've heard either on here, twitter, FB, etc. but I don't think it should be mostly that either.  They really do need to get a better play list going.

It would happen if there was a big play before a TV timeout.  There were more than a few times the crowd would be into it and then they would blast the music for the timeout rather than letting the crowd cheer.  Not something that happened every game necessarily but it did happen.

It would happen if there was a big play before a TV timeout.  There were more than a few times the crowd would be into it and then they would blast the music for the timeout rather than letting the crowd cheer.  Not something that happened every game necessarily but it did happen.

In their defense they have always blasted music during TV timeouts and other stoppages and this is going back to even the CAA days.  If you want to make a chant count, the crowd should be doing it during the play.  I rarely heard one this year while the puck was in play and I remember hearing them all the time.  I know this team doesn't have much to cheer for, but I wish our fans would focus more on cheering for our team than telling the Rangers/Flyers/Crosby how much they suck.

But this is another discussion.  Regardless whether it be the actual equipment, the play list or the timing, they need to work on it.

I never thought so either, until I started a) going to games at other arenas, and b) working in the arena during games. In some places (upper concourse by the Boardwalk/bar/elevators), it's brutally loud. I was also shocked at how quiet Philly and Florida felt after being at Devils games all year, in terms of the volume of music.

In the meeting they blamed the fact that the speakers were old (not sure if I buy that) and were of lower quality (that I do buy).  

I don't really buy it. As recent as Spring 2014, the sound was just fine. I noticed a sharp difference in sound quality beginning a few months later September 2014 at our very first preseason game.

I'm no expert, but it could be as simple as them maybe having let go one of the guys who originally installed the sound system, and who knew how to calibrate/test/set it up each year. A good sound guy is incredibly important. As someone in nightlife, even I knew which frequencies were dialed up and which ones needed to be limited (if someone were to put me in front of the soundboard). It happens all the time in nightlife, there's a change in ownership, old sound guy gets fired and it could be a multimillion dollar sound system but it's possible that a new sound guy doesn't have the bearings on how to get the best sound out of the existing system; it could sound like sh!t.

Either way, hope they fix the situation! New speakers aren't too expensive so that's good.

Edited by DJ Eco

Whoever did the visualization for the images (and it was obviously a very cheap Chinese company at that-- I can do views twice as good and I'm not even a year out of college) couldn't have taken ten seconds to photoshop some scale-figures actually WEARING SOME fvckING DEVILS JERSEYS?!?

I am in the belief that was done on purpose as the new owners have not made it any secret they want to present the arena as more than just where the Devils play.  I think they felt putting in a recently retired Devil was enough lol.

Whoever did the visualization for the images (and it was obviously a very cheap Chinese company at that-- I can do views twice as good and I'm not even a year out of college) couldn't have taken ten seconds to photoshop some scale-figures actually WEARING SOME fvckING DEVILS JERSEYS?!?

Funny, the first thing I thought when I saw the people in those renderings was, "Wow, that's a very favorable female-to-male ratio in those lounges."

Starting this only because if I put this into the Rock sub-forum, it will just get lost into that abyss.

Major changes are coming to the Rock next year. The club seats are getting cut down, the lounges for the club seats are getting complete makeovers and the Goal Bar is being completely re-done into mini-suites.

Club Seats: These are being restricted now to all of sections 8 & 19 and only the first few rows of sections 7, 9, 18 and 20. They are the only ones who will have access to the Fire and Ice Lounges and they are bringing back free unlimited food and soft drinks. The just-released seating chart shows this and the grey seats in sections 7, 9, 18 and 20 will not have access to the clubs, but instead will be given "15-minute" cards. Basically its good for unlimited food on the concourses but are restricted to use them only once every 15 minutes. Still not a bad deal IMO.

Goal Bar: Apparently this is being converted into mini-suites where the owners of them will have access to all events at the Rock, even non-Devils events. Not entirely sure on any other specifics with that and the Goal Bar will now be known as the "Bud Light Premium Lounge." For those of you who didn't have a seat there but liked to go the bar before and after games, that is no longer allowed. Instead they are going to move the "everyone" bar to another "under-utilized" location within the Rock. Was not told where at this point.

Fire and Ice Lounges: These are being completely re-vamped and below are the renders of what they will look like. Gone are the Fire and Ice motifs so I doubt they will keep their current names. Looks A LOT more modern and overall better than the current set up, which had grown long in the tooth much quicker than expected and never looked quite as good as the renders that were shown when the Rock was being built.

gallery_3795_169_85880.jpg

New Fire Lounge:

gallery_3795_169_59850.jpg

New Ice Lounge:

gallery_3795_169_99964.jpg

The fire lounge looks like a Japanese restaurant and the ice lounge looks like a ballroom. I don't like it. But I'll never pay $275 for these seats anyway so my input is moot.

The fire lounge looks like a Japanese restaurant and the ice lounge looks like a ballroom. I don't like it. But I'll never pay $275 for these seats anyway so my input is moot.

that's funny because I actually thought the same thing.  I still think it looks better than what we have now, which to me is and has always looked kinda goofy.

that's funny because I actually thought the same thing.  I still think it looks better than what we have now, which to me is and has always looked kinda goofy.

The Fire and Ice Lounges were interesting concepts that didn't quite come together (and as many of us have noted, they ultimately aged very badly very quickly).  Did the Fire Lounge ever actually offer little brick oven pizzas?  Wasn't that supposed to be one of the early selling points?  And the ice trays on the bar counters that were originally part of the Ice Lounges (for keeping drinks cold)...were they no longer being used for that purpose?   Both lounges seemed so cool when TV cameras first took us there...but after I hung out at the Fire Lounge after a few games early it was kind of like, "Meh, ok."  Chico was a big reason people stayed as long as they did the nights I went...as always, he was great with the fans and never seemed to mind chatting with them after games.

I could be nuts, but I think the Devils really thought a lot of fans were going to pile into both lounges after games.  Most of them want to simply get home ASAP, especially on work and school nights.

The new concepts replacing the F&I Lounges are strictly "there" to me...they're not bad, but they're pretty forgettable and don't elicit much of a reaction either way, and have the typical "in a professional sports building" feel...basically, if those places were along some bar crawl, they wouldn't stand out at all.  I understand the whole trying to bring some kind of bar/restaurant experience to sporting events, but I'm one of those weird people that buys tickets to sit in my seat.  If I want to watch a game at a bar and enjoy that experience (complete with food and beer), I'll either head downstairs in my home or go to a proper bar.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

The Fire and Ice Lounges were interesting concepts that didn't quite come together (and as many of us have noted, they ultimately aged very badly very quickly).  Did the Fire Lounge ever actually offer little brick oven pizzas?  Wasn't that supposed to be one of the early selling points?  And the ice trays on the bar counters that were originally part of the Ice Lounges (for keeping drinks cold)...were they no longer being used for that purpose?   Both lounges seemed so cool when TV cameras first took us there...but after I hung out at the Fire Lounge after a few games early it was kind of like, "Meh, ok."  Chico was a big reason people stayed as long as they did the nights I went...as always, he was great with the fans and never seemed to mind chatting with them after games.

I could be nuts, but I think the Devils really thought a lot of fans were going to pile into both lounges after games.  Most of them want to simply get home ASAP, especially on work and school nights.

The new concepts replacing the F&I Lounges are strictly "there" to me...they're not bad, but they're pretty forgettable and don't elicit much of a reaction either way, and have the typical "in a professional sports building" feel...basically, if those places were along some bar crawl, they wouldn't stand out at all.  I understand the whole trying to bring some kind of bar/restaurant experience to sporting events, but I'm one of those weird people that buys tickets to sit in my seat.  If I want to watch a game at a bar and enjoy that experience (complete with food and beer), I'll either head downstairs in my home or go to a proper bar.   

Hard to do that when only club seat ticket holders could pile in there.  When I first read of the new arena and the ideas they had, it seemed like at least the lounge areas would be open to everyone before or after the game.  This was never the case.  They even enforced the same rule with the goal bar before they opened it up to everyone before and after the game a couple seasons in and then later changed it to anytime but just half of the area.

Fire lounge did have those brick oven personal pizzas when I first went in one in 2011, but it wasn't anything special.  In regards to the ice lounge, the early talk of it made it seem like the entire counter top was made of ice, but in reality it was just half the top in certain sections.  Pretty underwhelming to say the least.

The new lounge concepts have a corporate image through and through, and I think that's smart.  Most of the ticket holders there are corporate and while they are bland, they do not look as goofy as the current lounges so I think it will appeal to that crowd more.

I know some fans are a little up in arms with the trend over the past couple of seasons to "de-Devilize" the arena, but I actually do not mind it really.  It never really did anything for me to see giant stickers of current players on the columns, seeing high school jerseys all around the concourse (they are still there just in the corner), and giant ugly murals (especially the ones with the big player bodies and small, faceless heads yuck!).  I am used to the days of BBA/CAA where there was barely anything on the concourse that suggested the Devils played there and I am fine with it.

I liked having the HS jerseys hanging around the concourse.  And I like a lot of the artwork (although the beetlejuice hockey players one is a little weird).  But at the end of the day, the changes they have made to make it seem less Devils-centric are not a big deal.  Now, if they take the Devils symbol off the urinal heads, then we'd have a problem. 

DM84...I got into the Fire Lounge three times after games, no questions asked. Didn't realize that the lounges were just for club ticket holders after games as well. Kind of dumb, really...I can understand making those areas exclusive during games, but might as well let everyone in afterwards.

DM84...I got into the Fire Lounge three times after games, no questions asked. Didn't realize that the lounges were just for club ticket holders after games as well. Kind of dumb, really...I can understand making those areas exclusive during games, but might as well let everyone in afterwards.

I use to go into the lounges after games to avoid the long bathroom lines. Only got stopped once.

I use to go into the lounges after games to avoid the long bathroom lines. Only got stopped once.

I have walked straight in once this season during a game ... not very well policed at all

I have walked straight in once this season during a game ... not very well policed at all