RAY SHERO = NEW GM. Coach decision is Shero's.

ghdi

Success in the new NHL? Shero was a failure in Pittsburgh, he won 2 cups with Crosby and Malkin, he should have much more on his resume. He gutted the Penguins with bad trades, and drafted extremely poorly. Take a look at their first round draft picks outside of Ollie. 

But he's won. Full stop.

No one we could've hired was going to come here with a Stanley Cup ring in their past. Anyone we could've possibly hired would've come with the asterisk and extra scrutiny of, "Are they experienced for this job?"... It could've been Mike Babcock being hired as GM; we would've asked, "Does he have enough experience to be GM?"... It could've been an assistant GM on his way out of a losing team, and we would've asked, "Does his record at [losing team] indicate he'll be effective here at the Devils?"

Hell, we could've hired (probably not) Peter Chiarelli or Dean Lombardi and use their non-playoff position and some of their recent moves (and Boston's or LA's potential/maybe current decline) against them. No hire would've been perfect, honestly. We're not getting Ken Holland or Stan Bowman or Steve Yzerman right now.

In typical Lou fashion, not a single soul had a clue until the last second

Definitely going to miss this. Although I'm glad with the hiring, I'm not a fan of the transparency with which Shero might maybe conduct himself with, it won't be easy to get used to lol

Well all the naysayers got their wish, now we'll see how the armchair GM's do. I just hope you're all at least thankful for the fact Lou's the only reason we even have a team in New Jersey and not Nashville.

3 Cups.. 5 SCF's.. 7 Eastern Conference Finals appearances.. 10 Division Titles. His resume speaks for itself. It was an outstanding run.. but unfortunately, it was time.

Edited by Beezer34

Shero really worries me, his drafting record was crap in Pittsburgh.

And Lou's drafting record the last 10 years hasn't been crap?

You can't blame the GM alone for drafts. They may have the final say, but its the scouting departments who do the legwork. And I'd argue that especially since the Penguins started contending, they've been picking low almost exclusively, trading picks for now players, and have still found successful NHL'ers. And their first rounders have been pretty decent when they've had them. 

And Lou's drafting record the last 10 years hasn't been crap?

You can't blame the GM alone for drafts. They may have the final say, but its the scouting departments who do the legwork. And I'd argue that especially since the Penguins started contending, they've been picking low almost exclusively, trading picks for now players, and have still found successful NHL'ers. And their first rounders have been pretty decent when they've had them. 

Lou's draft record has been average - great with defensemen/goalies, bad with forwards.  People ONLY look at the forwards though when assessing Lou's drafts.

We've picked pretty low too other than Larsson, the pick we traded for Cory and the one we haven't used yet this year.  

I'm still a little worried that there doesn't seem to be a clear indication where the team is heading and who's ultimately calling the shots, although I suppose it's a little to much to ask for that kind of clarity at this point.

Dunno, I guess it's the enormous holes in the organization that would exist whether Lou stayed or was out of the picture completely that makes the announcement feel less eventful than I thought it would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lamoriello as president and Shero as GM is a very strong management team.

Yep,  it is... this move was needed, and it's a good one for the franchise. It's always good to have another set of experienced eyes and grey matter in running the decisions of a franchise.  I've found it more advantageous  having additional executive voice, suggestions, ideas, and even some counter opposition to some of the continued legacy operations of the past.  Sometimes when you have created a dynasty, especially by a legend, it can manifest into surrounding yourself only in your visions and even resulting in hierarchical 'Yes Men' and 'Sycophants'. 

Adapt with the complexity of the times, with fresh minds, with successful experienced expertise... It's a WIN-WIN for the Devils organization at all levels, as well as for all the supporters/fans.

Lot of questions about this one - Shero's 50 in July, so he's at least probably around the average age of a GM. Is he ready to tear this team down-ish for a few years? If this is at ownership's behest, surely they recognized that the team was heading in the exact wrong direction - I mean the numbers over the last few months were abysmal.

How much control will Shero have? I see that Lou put him in charge of the coaching hire and that makes sense - Shero probably has better contacts around the game than Lou does at this point. But as team president, does Lou have final say on trades and what-not? I suspect he does. So that will be a curious transition. And who's hiring scouts and overseeing that whole thing? Anyway, this is not the presser I thought the team would be having today, but it does represent a step in the right direction, I think - Shero at least has zero loyalty to this roster, and that's good, because there's really only 3-5 players on this roster who are deserving of it.

Not sure what there is to tear down. That's like saying, I'm not sure if I'm ready to bulldoze this abandoned house that's already been set on fire and had the windows blown out. This team is as bare bones as they come. Aside from Cam and Schneider, this team is probably the worst in the league going forward. I'm really excited to see what Shero does. I think a few buyouts are in order. Sal and Zubs come to mind right away. Edited by Jerry Lundegaard

Not sure what there is to tear down. That's like saying, I'm not sure if I'm ready to bulldoze this abandoned house that's already been set on fire and had the windows blown out. This team is as bare bones as they come. Aside from Cam and Schneider, this team is probably the worst in the league going forward. I'm really excited to see what Shero does. I think a few buyouts are in order. Sal and Zubs come to mind right away.

Sals Contract is up but Zubs is probably going to be bought out now

Not sure what there is to tear down. That's like saying, I'm not sure if I'm ready to bulldoze this abandoned house that's already been set on fire and had the windows blown out. This team is as bare bones as they come. Aside from Cam and Schneider, this team is probably the worst in the league going forward. I'm really excited to see what Shero does. I think a few buyouts are in order. Sal and Zubs come to mind right away.

Sal isn't under contract, so it's a safe bet that he won't be back at all.

So far as Zubrus, I imagine there are some GMs that are more averse to eating salary than others. Lou has been pretty willing to buy out players in the past, not sure what thoughts Shero has on the issue. Whatever the case, Zubrus whether he stays or goes, won't effect how the team does one way or the other.

People ONLY look at the forwards though when assessing Lou's drafts.

It shouldnt be a surprise. You need forwards to win hockey games too. Part of the reason we're one of the worst scoring teams in the entire league is due to our lack of quality offensive scouting over the last 10 drafts. Outside of Henrique, we have barely anything to show for in respect to offense. The Pens were in a much different situation as they were trying to "win now" every year and picking 25-30 most of the time they were open to trading those picks for immediate help.

And again, scouting departments are huge in respect to drafts. Neither Shero nor Lou can be overly praised or criticized for draft decisions. 

Edited by ghdi

I'm still a little worried that there doesn't seem to be a clear indication where the team is heading and who's ultimately calling the shots, although I suppose it's a little to much to ask for that kind of clarity at this point.

Dunno, I guess it's the enormous holes in the organization that would exist whether Lou stayed or was out of the picture completely that makes the announcement feel less eventful than I thought it would.

I assure you that when it comes to the roster, Ray Shero is now calling the shots. Shero had options. He wasn't coming here to not call the shots.

It shouldnt be a surprise. You need forwards to win hockey games too. Part of the reason we're one of the worst scoring teams in the entire league is due to our lack of quality offensive scouting over the last 10 drafts. Outside of Henrique, we have barely anything to show for in respect to offense. The Pens were in a much different situation as they were trying to "win now" every year and picking 25-30 most of the time they were open to trading those picks for immediate help.

And again, scouting departments are huge in respect to drafts. Neither Shero nor Lou can be overly praised or criticized for draft decisions. 

And Shero inherited a forward core with Crosby and Malkin.  Who did he draft there, the overrated Jordan Staal?  A little easier to put in crap when you have two gems already in place.

And who hires/oversees the scouting departments?

Edited by NJDevs4978

That seems a little much Sokar. I think those guys will be resigned given Lou's input, the coaching input and the reality of what the currently has.

Doubtful now. This is meant to institute change.

I hope Conte is replaced

I imagine it probably won't happen until after the draft. I believe Shero said that he is still getting himself acquainted with the scouting staff, and I would imagine that the bulk of their work is done.

The other thing is that Lou evidently was taking with Shero even before the season ended. He certainly could have held out for something else if he was unhappy with the scouting situation, if it means he wants to replace them entirely but wouldn't be allowed to.

And Shero inherited a forward core with Crosby and Malkin.  Who did he draft there, the overrated Jordan Staal?  A little easier to put in crap when you have two gems already in place.

And who hires/oversees the scouting departments?

And he got a pretty nice return for the overrated Jordan Staal when he declined a contract offer.

EJ Hradek, "Ray, how long has this process been going on? About talking to Lou, phoning him, talking to the owners, when was there the first contact... you guys started communicating/negotiating towards this?

Ray Shero, "Ohhh.... probably about 1980-81"

laughs and chuckles by all....