RAY SHERO = NEW GM. Coach decision is Shero's.

ghdi

I think having Shero in as GM makes NJ a little bit more of a desirable destination for free agents and players with NTCs

Exactly what everyone I've been conversing with are saying...  it will definitely help on the acquisition side, though the 15% NJ Professional Sport state income tax does kill deals.

If Lou was communicating with Shero before the season was even over, it suggests that Lou was thinking about this even before that - perhaps when he wouldn't hire a new head coach, he might've known that this was it for him.

I think Lou staying on as President is to avoid the PR appearance that he's being fired and to help ease Shero in and keep him safe. My guess is Lou walks away fully in another year or two. There was a lot of fire and smoke equally after the ASB that ownership wanted changes.

Edited by coldply123

It's just sad to hear a lot of you basically dancing on the grave of the guy that brought 3 cups because he didn't get another in 10 years.  Big picture, it was going to happen before he won another anyway because of his age but everyone is just excited to see next to Devils General Manager anyone's name but Lou's.  You look at what Shero did and tell me you're excited to see him running things from now on.  Not saying I won't watch every game but why would Shero have any built in trust for any Devil fan.  Just calling a spade, a spade.

Well all the naysayers got their wish, now we'll see how the armchair GM's do...I just hope you're all at least thankful for the fact Lou's the only reason we even have a team in New Jersey and not Nashville.

Shero really worries me, his drafting record was crap in Pittsburgh.

Thats not fair. A few thoughts

1) No one is ignoring what Lou has done for this franchise. No one is trying to disrespect him. There will be a time and a place to honour Lou, and trust me, it will be the biggest celebration this franchise has ever seen, and arguably the most emotional. I'm excited thinking about that day when Lou finally gets his day in the sun with past and present Devils there to serenade him.

2) But today, we live in the present. Lamoriello has not done a good job over the last few years. The proof is there. Being a GM is not unlike a great athlete. There is a finite time for success. Just like we shouldn't have thought Martin Brodeur was going to be great in 2014 because he was good in 2003, we shouldn't think Lou will be fine now because of success in 1993 or 2003. The game has changed.

For a tie Lou and Conte were the gold standard for pretty much everything: finding loopholes, scouting, drafting, finding undrafted free agents, development. That has undoubtedly changed as the league has caught up to them and surpassed them. If Lou wanted to continue to be successful, he would have wanted to adapt in many ways, be it hiring additional scouts, changing draft philosophies, hiring as many young hockey minds as he could or looking to bring in people from other successful organizations. Instead, Lou was happy to work alone and stick with his good friend Conte and a few part time advisors that he may have called from time to time. He was happy to do what he had been doing and to trust who he's been trusting for a very long time.

3) Has, to discuss a further point, the defense is far from set for the future. Most of the early picks have focused on defense, but it's way too early to know what the Devils have. Just because there are prospects means very little. In the same way the Blue Jackets weren't set for forwards because of them drafting Brule, Filatov, Picard, Brassard, Zherdev, etc.

Goaltending is great, but it's not the most important position anymore. The Blackhawks continue to win with pretty much anything in nets. The Kings have been so good for a few years, no one even realizes Quick only shows up for 15-20 games a year. Tampa Bay was an elite team this year with a struggling Bishop. The Devils are in a good spot with Schneider, but that won't help the worst forward group at both at the NHL level and outside the NHL.

4) If anyone is going to defend Lou, but be a little uneasy about the hire, remember...HE MADE THE HIRE. This is the person he felt was best suited for the job. So if you aren't happy with it, that just might be one more strike against Lou where he goes with an obvious safe choice or his need for secrecy affects a plan to find the right successor.

5) It was time for Lou to step down. He's 73 and was practically working by himself. It's possible Lou staying on might not even be the right fit, and Shero has an uneven track record to say the least. However, I think it's better than the alternative. And hey I wanted the change, but that doesn't change the fact that Lou Lamoriello is responsible for 99% of the success that my sports teams have enjoyed. He's a huge reason for some of the most enjoyable moments in my life. He's one of the greatest GMs ever. It's just okay, to say he is not one of the best anymore.

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 1

I'm sorry dr you've been THE biggest Lou cynic on this board this side of Sterio, you don't get to moonwalk now.  Especially after your other thread that's pretty high up on this page.  It's one thing to have issues with Lou, it's another to basically parse every little quote and assume everything Lou says or does automatically means something horrendous and nightmarish is coming.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Lou hasn't worked with Team USA but I can see him being on a very short-list of unofficial consultants.

Sad that the day has come but it had to come.  I became a Devils fan in 1987 and since then have only known 1 GM.  I like that Shero has a successful track record and is a voice from outside of the organization and has zero ties to the glory days in NJ.  Now the question is scouting department and coaching staff.  Does Shero bring in DIsco Dan which I believe would be a HUGE mistake.

When told by Brian online, I thought it was a joke. But it is the right time for Lou to turn GM duties over. He'll go down as the greatest exec in this area. One of the all-time great GMs in sports. Not many can match him. Ken Holland in Detroit is the only one I can think of in hockey. Basketball, I guess Pop with the Spurs and Jerry West (Lakers/Grizzlies). 

I agree with the consensus that Lou was pushed out by the owners. No playoffs three straight years big factor. Lou did it his way. At least he'll still be part of the organization as Team President. It wouldn't be right. He's a legend. They should built a statue for him.

Fyi Hasan wrote a excellent piece on Lou. Fitting tribute to the man.

Are you sure? No Team USA ties?

Closest thing to a connection that I've seen was in the Puck Daddy article- Wysh mentioned that Shero's father was the Devils 1st color commentator, but I don't know if he would have overlapped with Lou's tenure as GM at all.

I'm sorry dr you've been THE biggest Lou cynic on this board this side of Sterio, you don't get to moonwalk now.  Especially after your other thread that's pretty high up on this page.  It's one thing to have issues with Lou, it's another to basically parse every little quote and assume everything Lou says or does automatically means something horrendous and nightmarish is coming.

Why can't you see that I am separating what Lou has done to what is going on with this team now. It's a mess. I've said a few things about Lou after the season ended, so I've been riding him hard for a few months. That's it. I'm not trying to moonwalk at all. But if you can't be harsh towards a GM for a team that's missed the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years, has 2 forwards (combining for under 60 points), under the age of 30, and no forward prospects that did anything in the AHL coming up in the next few years...well then I don't know what to tell you. It's not personal. Just like it isn't that personal when Lou fires coaches or trades away celebrated players.

Lou is one of the greatest ever, but not anymore. It was time for a change. Did I read into some of Lou's quotes, maybe a bit, but I don't think that much. I know a lot of people agreed, but felt great loyalty towards Lou. That's understandable.

Lamoriello as president and Shero as GM is a very strong management team.

This was my first thought as well. I think in this day in age, you need a management TEAM, not a single person calling all the shots, especially at Lou's age. I'm sure Lou will still hold plenty of influence but I'm also excited to have some fresh ideas coming in.

I'm still a little worried that there doesn't seem to be a clear indication where the team is heading and who's ultimately calling the shots, although I suppose it's a little to much to ask for that kind of clarity at this point.

Dunno, I guess it's the enormous holes in the organization that would exist whether Lou stayed or was out of the picture completely that makes the announcement feel less eventful than I thought it would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had two coaches, so now we'll have two GMs !