RAY SHERO = NEW GM. Coach decision is Shero's.

ghdi

I just read the article you posted from 1991 about Stevens refusing to report. Holy moly...the whole team was up in mutiny. As someone who started watching the Devils in 1994 it seems like an insane twilight-zone universe in which Lou isn't at the helm of the world's steadiest ship. Daneyko was holding out, Muller walked out, Stevens refusing to even come to New Jersey, arguments over $500,000.... what a time that was

Well if you figure that $500,000 for playing on another team was more than Muller was making total and that was on top of Stevens' contract that was already more than double what Cap'n Kirk was making...... I can understand a bit of jealousy there.

Shero the Hero.

I like the change.  Absolute respect for everything Lou has done, and I'm glad he's staying with the organization as president.

That being said, I'm curious where the responsibilities fall.  I hope the following are now out of Lou's hands:

1)  Drafting

2)  Free agent acquisition

3)  PR/fan interaction

I suspect (3) was already taken away when the new owners took over.  Lou (and Conte) have done a pretty miserable job drafting anything but defenders, so I hope Shero gets to bring in his own staff to get things done.  Same thing with free agents - Lou has signed some stinkers outside of Cammy in recent years.  

I wouldn't mind Lou sitting in on / directing contract negotations, assuming his mid-season tactics (or lack thereof) are done away with.

Was time for a change.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Drafting was always mostly out of Lou's hands.  I'm not sure why people think GMs have a ton to do with drafting - there's so much in the day to day operation of the franchise that a general manager has to be concerned with that he can't get out to see these guys (the major exception being when that team is picking high in the draft).  Now that he's President, it's hard to imagine much changing there.

Free agent acquisition - good luck at finding anyone good at that.  Shero's got a decent history but he doesn't have Crosby and Malkin as enticements anymore.  

PR/Fan Interaction - Devils players are not going to be permitted to use twitter.  Lou is still the team President.  I don't expect salary information to be released when the player signs.  I expect the organization to be as careful with the media as it was when Lou was around, although Shero may say a little more - Lou's been saying a little more in recent years, or at least it feels that way.

Edited by Triumph

Drafting was always mostly out of Lou's hands.  I'm not sure why people think GMs have a ton to do with drafting - there's so much in the day to day operation of the franchise that a general manager has to be concerned with that he can't get out to see these guys (the major exception being when that team is picking high in the draft).  Now that he's President, it's hard to imagine much changing there.

Free agent acquisition - good luck at finding anyone good at that.  Shero's got a decent history but he doesn't have Crosby and Malkin as enticements anymore.  

PR/Fan Interaction - Devils players are not going to be permitted to use twitter.  Lou is still the team President.  I don't expect salary information to be released when the player signs.  I expect the organization to be as careful with the media as it was when Lou was around, although Shero may say a little more - Lou's been saying a little more in recent years, or at least it feels that way.

The amount of picks you have is connected to the GM. Losing a 1st round pick to get out of cap hell is on a GM. Losing a 1st round pick because of cap circumvention is on a GM (the owners were able to get a 30 pick back). Making sure you have the right staff scouting the right areas looking for specific needs/style is on a GM. Your scouts can say we really like this big physical defenseman in the 3rd round, but a GM can lay out what the organizational needs are at this time. These are the kind of players we should be looking at in later rounds. I bet Lou and Conte are on the same page as far as of that goes.

Edit: I guess my first point isn't so relevant to the previous discussion, but more so the success or failure of a team's drafting record.

Edited by devilsrule33

The amount of picks you have is connected to the GM. Losing a 1st round pick to get out of cap hell is on a GM. Losing a 1st round pick because of cap circumvention is on a GM (the owners were able to get a 30 pick back). Making sure you have the right staff scouting the right areas looking for specific needs/style is on a GM. Your scouts can say we really like this big physical defenseman in the 3rd round, but a GM can lay out what the organizational needs are at this time. These are the kind of players we should be looking at in later rounds. I bet Lou and Conte are on the same page as far as of that goes.

Edit: I guess my first point isn't so relevant to the previous discussion, but more so the success or failure of a team's drafting record.

I'm again not sure how much I want to hang the loss of that 1st round pick on Lou for the cap circumvention, but Shero's record of stockpiling draft picks ain't great either.  

I'm sure Lou and Conte are on the same page there, I just doubt very much that Lou hired someone who is on a significantly different page than he (and Conte) is about these issues.  Plus again Lou is still the President - I don't think a lot about how the organization does things is going to change when he's at the top.  

I'm again not sure how much I want to hang the loss of that 1st round pick on Lou for the cap circumvention, but Shero's record of stockpiling draft picks ain't great either.  

I'm sure Lou and Conte are on the same page there, I just doubt very much that Lou hired someone who is on a significantly different page than he (and Conte) is about these issues.  Plus again Lou is still the President - I don't think a lot about how the organization does things is going to change when he's at the top.  

On the same token, isn't it healthy in any business  at times to have someone on your staff that offers a different prospective, a devils advocate (no pun int)  instead of being a "yes man" and kissing the bishops ring all the time? I'm hoping with Shero, there is a slight change of culture. Shero seems to be kinda guy that goes out and looks under rocks for players, while Lou (I could be dead wrong about this)  maybe have waited for something to come to him? It's easy for us to sit around and say we gotta get rid of so and so, but, someone has to want them to better their team. 

I wonder if Lou would ever pen his memoirs

If the owners could have picked someone to be GM I'd imagine it would have been someone unoriginal, close to home, someone obvious to the PA bandwagon hockey fan...

like Shero. 

I don't see the move as having Lou all over it.  I don't see it as some brilliant find or historic changing of the guard.  Lou hit a wall.  I'm sure if he doesn't know why he can't get things in gear, it's a fascinating puzzle he'd like to have sussed out before he has that cigar on the beach.

If Shero turns things around then we know Lou's been an a$$hole.  If it takes Shero time to get things moving -- if he can't get a scorer without losing something else equally as significant well then ... everyone else is an a$$hole.  :evil:  :uni:

and I have really gotten sick of my Holden Caufield of the NJDevs role so.... I should probably just shut up because haters don't gotta hate...

leonard-wink.gif

I would also think probably out of necessity, and at least for this year, the draft will basically be business as usual.  There isn't really much more scouting of this year's group left to be done, and, to my knowledge, Shero hasn't done any scouting on his own and hasn't even met with the Devils' scouting staff yet.  So even assuming Shero is supposed to have ultimate say over draft picks, I don't see him altering things for this year's draft unless there's a pick that strikes him as really crazy. 

If the owners could have picked someone to be GM I'd imagine it would have been someone unoriginal, close to home, someone obvious to the PA bandwagon hockey fan...

like Shero.

I don't see the move as having Lou all over it. I don't see it as some brilliant find or historic changing of the guard. Lou hit a wall. I'm sure if he doesn't know why he can't get things in gear, it's a fascinating puzzle he'd like to have sussed out before he has that cigar on the beach.

If Shero turns things around then we know Lou's been an a$$hole. If it takes Shero time to get things moving -- if he can't get a scorer without losing something else equally as significant well then ... everyone else is an a$$hole. :evil::uni:

and I have really gotten sick of my Holden Caufield of the NJDevs role so.... I should probably just shut up because haters don't gotta hate...

leonard-wink.gif

I also don't feel like this is a Lou move. He seems to be trying to hard again with the association with Shero to make it seem legit.

"I certainly once saw Ray Shero once at GM meeting and he said hello, so we have a long history, and I am very aware of his work".

I would also think probably out of necessity, and at least for this year, the draft will basically be business as usual.  There isn't really much more scouting of this year's group left to be done, and, to my knowledge, Shero hasn't done any scouting on his own and hasn't even met with the Devils' scouting staff yet.  So even assuming Shero is supposed to have ultimate say over draft picks, I don't see him altering things for this year's draft unless there's a pick that strikes him as really crazy. 

Shero worked a lot with USA hockey this year. He's seen a lot of young players this season. In fact, I remember someone tweeting they were at  junior game or World Junior game and Shero was there. BUt again, GMs rarely scout themselves.

My question is what Shero will make of the following situations:

1.  Larsson - UFA

2.  Havlat / Ryder (what SHOULD happen to these two is a given, but hey, you never know)

3.  Tootoo / Bernier / Gionta / Gomez - bring them back?

4.  Zubrus / Elias - find suitors / waive / declare them as declining role guys?

5.  Try to find a package deal for Zajac (I would take Eric Staal / Jordan Staal in return for example)

Lot's of questions...oh yeah, and find a coach too.

My question is what Shero will make of the following situations:

1.  Larsson - UFA

2.  Havlat / Ryder (what SHOULD happen to these two is a given, but hey, you never know)

3.  Tootoo / Bernier / Gionta / Gomez - bring them back?

4.  Zubrus / Elias - find suitors / waive / declare them as declining role guys?

5.  Try to find a package deal for Zajac (I would take Eric Staal / Jordan Staal in return for example)

Lot's of questions...oh yeah, and find a coach too.

Larsson is not a UFA this offseason if that's what you're getting at.

Havlat/Ryder would not be here whoever the GM is.

Gionta is under contract next year.

Zajac is not getting the return you envision.

Zubrus might be bought out, although it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.  He has one year left on his deal, and it isn't like there are impact players who space isn't available for because he's taking up a roster spot.

Elias should not be waived or bought out under any circumstances.  And I would only trade him if the return is very good, although it doesn't necessarily have to be a steal. 

Since Shero has indicated that he's not looking for short-term aging forwards to acquire via trade or by big money deals, there should be roster space for Gomez, Tootoo and Bernier.  The team doesn't figure to be that good next year with or without them, so if you can re-sign all, some or none of them by all means, but for nothing more than two years.

Edited by Daniel

I don't think both of Tootoo and Bernier are back and Gionta and Josefson are no sure bets to be kept regardless of their contract situation.

Larsson is not a UFA this offseason if that's what you're getting at.

Havlat/Ryder would not be here whoever the GM is.

Gionta is under contract next year.

Zajac is not getting the return you envision.

Zubrus might be bought out, although it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other.  He has one year left on his deal, and it isn't like there are impact players who space isn't available for because he's taking up a roster spot.

Elias should not be waived or bought out under any circumstances.  And I would only trade him if the return is very good, although it doesn't necessarily have to be a steal. 

Since Shero has indicated that he's not looking for short-term aging forwards to acquire via trade or by big money deals, there should be roster space for Gomez, Tootoo and Bernier.  The team doesn't figure to be that good next year with or without them, so if you can re-sign all, some or none of them by all means, but for nothing more than two years.

My mistake.  Yes, Larsson is RFA this summer.

Elias won't get a return classified as a "steal" as a 39 year old, so I think we will definitely keep him.

I could see a player like Zubrus benefit a younger team like Calgary or even the NY Islanders come playoff time.  Same goes for Bernier and Gionta.

I would keep Bernier and Tootoo.

I actually wonder if they made this move now simply because Shero was available and they saw him as a guy they wanted in the long long term in that position. Maybe they weren't courting new GMs actively. That's just another theory.

I love the US hockey connection with Ray. I remember the days the Devils consistently had the most American players. Maybe we still do, I honestly don't know, but obviously Americans make up a greater share of rosters than they did 15 years ago anyway. I hope he brings in an American coach, whether it's Bylsma or not Tortorella or whoever. Again, I don't know if another team has an American GM, coach, starting goalie, and captain (if Andy Greene gets the captaincy, he's obviously the frontrunner), but it would be a pretty cool distinction.

My mistake. Yes, Larsson is RFA this summer.

Elias won't get a return classified as a "steal" as a 39 year old, so I think we will definitely keep him.

I could see a player like Zubrus benefit a younger team like Calgary or even the NY Islanders come playoff time. Same goes for Bernier and Gionta.

I would keep Bernier and Tootoo.

Zubrus is done. If he is not on this team he us out of the league. I can't see any team wanting or needing him.

If you are considered surplus to requirements in this devils lineup you shouldn't be in the NHL.