RAY SHERO = NEW GM. Coach decision is Shero's.

ghdi

Again, I don't know if another team has an American GM, coach, starting goalie, and captain (if Andy Greene gets the captaincy, he's obviously the frontrunner), but it would be a pretty cool distinction.

Kings are currently the closest team to that, have an American GM (Lombardi), captain (Brown), and starting goaltender (Quick). If the Devils got an American coach they'd be the only team in the league with that distinction you mentioned, interesting.

Zubrus is done. If he is not on this team he us out of the league. I can't see any team wanting or needing him.

If you are considered surplus to requirements in this devils lineup you shouldn't be in the NHL.

The only way a team takes him is if they need to get over the cap minimum

Haven't had a chance to post til now. I've always believed in Lou, even knowing how badly the past few years have gone. I've also always respected Shero, so while we're not in good shape, I'm cautiously optimistic long term. Also happy Lou went outside the organization/family to pick his successor, because, even as a Lou fan, that trend was bothersome.

More importantly, Lou is the reason I'm a Devils fan. I picked my hockey team, and my dad likes the Rangers, so if anything, they would have been the logical choice. The classy, intelligent, professional organization that Lou ran drew me in, and I feel fortunate it did. I'm proud to be a Devils fan in a way I'm not proud of my other teams. Maybe the metro rivalries have something to do with that, but the Devils identity is so,etching special to me, and that's all Lou. I don't agree with every decision he's made, on ice or off, but it's been an honor to watch one of the greatest ever work for my entire hockey watching life. I'll always love this team. And I think this may be a smart change,. But this is the end of An amazing era, and it'll never be the same.

Thanks for everything, Lou.

I'm sure Lou and Conte are on the same page there, I just doubt very much that Lou hired someone who is on a significantly different page than he (and Conte) is about these issues. Plus again Lou is still the President - I don't think a lot about how the organization does things is going to change when he's at the top.

This +1,000,000. Lou will still lord over this team and you won't see Shero going against the grain all that much. Yes, they need forwards who can score, but those forwards will closely match the Devils prototype that Lou put in place. As will other picks and acquisitions.

As far as fans/PR go...Lou will still control that aspect of the team as well. No high numbers, no third jerseys, etc. This is still Lou's team and he is Shero's boss.

I also think Lou becoming President saves Conte (and the scouting team) their jobs.

Edited by slasher72

“They wanted a view outside the organization,” said Lamoriello. “They wanted a fresh view.”

fvck these owners, they are scum. Total classless move that they have not issued a statement on Lou's new position, and thanked him for his years of service for the team.

These owners could cure cancer and you would still hate them.   I guess you prefer JVB nickel and diming everything instead.

There is some sort of meeting/statement thing Josh Harris is holding either today or tomorrow.  More likely than not it's about Lou.

• Like 1

This +1,000,000. Lou will still lord over this team and you won't see Shero going against the grain all that much. Yes, they need forwards who can score, but those forwards will closely match the Devils prototype that Lou put in place. As will other picks and acquisitions.

As far as fans/PR go...Lou will still control that aspect of the team as well. No high numbers, no third jerseys, etc. This is still Lou's team and he is Shero's boss.

I also think Lou becoming President saves Conte (and the scouting team) their jobs.

Disagree. This is not Lou's team anymore. I think you'll see some gradual changes in that scouting and development area the next year or two. The owners want change. Lou's position as President is not as big as people think. It's a face saving transition to retirement.

Edited by coldply123

“They wanted a view outside the organization,” said Lamoriello. “They wanted a fresh view.”

fvck these owners, they are scum. Total classless move that they have not issued a statement on Lou's new position, and thanked him for his years of service for the team.

So dramatic.

He still works for the team.  Classless would be issuing that sort of statement - it would indicate to everyone that his new job is a sinecure.  I don't think it is, though.

I think it's a transitional move. Lou needs to oversee the aspects of the hockey operation while getting Shero up to speed on everything from the physical operation of the team, to the individual players, prospects and so on. It's not easy to step in to a completely new situation without having a hand to help. 

Damien Cox and Steve Simmons writing the best Lou articles. Weird.

Like everything else in NJ, him leaving his GM duty has been underreported. Maybe in time, but I hope Michael Farber or someone else can write a long piecee about Lou from the viewpoint or stories of other people that have been around him. It's hard to get too much from Lou, but Simmons didn't do so bad.

As for the owners being classless, can't tell if you are trolling or not, but that's ridiculous. The view from outside the organization is one most people here wanted. We have absolutely no clue how it went down. We should be thankful they wanted that or his son or Conte might be running the organization. But, we all know they gave in or compromised because this hire follows exactly how Lou does business. He keeps things quiet, and a full-on search for a candidate currently employed was not going to be his way of doing things. Perhaps there was even an opportunity for someone to work under Lou (as an assistant) for a year or two, but that person out of the game like Shero, wouldn't want to do that, or need to do that.

I'm surprised Shero (among others) leaving Greene off of the Team USA roster last year hasn't been mentioned. Andy's a professional, but I wonder if that popped into his head when he heard the news. St. Louis was so sore about being left off by his GM, he packed his bags. Obviously Andy Greene has some class, but I'm not too certain that their first encounter will lack any awkwardness.

D'Aquila - you live in a fantasy world.  Their "thank you" to Lou is one of many things that have been done non-outwardly/non-verbally, such as:

1.  Allowing him to retain his job from the get-go

2.  Not firing him outright

3.  Oh, and we forget, his actual paycheck. 

We got to step away from entitlement issues.    With all the "secrets" Lou keeps, we can only wonder the real truth about how many things Lou should be grateful for and not the other way around.

The Devils demise the last half a decade can possibly be attributed to Lou.  Team owners can't afford to get caught up in sentimentality when their enterprise is an embarrassment and losing money.  It's business, and that's it.

I'm surprised Shero (among others) leaving Greene off of the Team USA roster last year hasn't been mentioned. Andy's a professional, but I wonder if that popped into his head when he heard the news. St. Louis was so sore about being left off by his GM, he packed his bags. Obviously Andy Greene has some class, but I'm not too certain that their first encounter will lack any awkwardness.

I don't know, that process was so convoluted. When you read that ESPN inside look at the selection process you can tell how much clowns like Brian Burke and Holmgren commandeered some of the process and thinking. Bobby Ryan, Okposo snubs? Etc... I can't imagine a professional athlete holding a snub personally, when Shero was one of like 5-10 guys involved in the decision making process.

I was curious so I went back to that ESPN article to see what Shero's comments and opinions were on some of the selections, a glimpse into his brain. The whole article's here: http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/story/_/id/10195703/how-us-hockey-team-bound-sochi-olympics-was-named

There are a couple quotes that stick out, positively:

1) Ray Shero sticking up for Bobby Ryan to make the cut. He would later be snubbed because of prevailing opinions from the other clowns in the room.

This is a team whose identity is about working its tail off, Ray Shero reminds the group. If the U.S. needs one chance to score, it may be that Phil Kessel and Bobby Ryan are going to be the guys who capitalize on that one chance.

2) Ray Shero bringing Schneider's name into the picture.

Ray Shero suggests he would have Howard and Schneider as a 3A and 3B.

"I think Schneider's going to pass him when we finish this process," Burke says. "One guy's going south slowly and another guy's coming north hard."

Edited by DJ Eco