RAY SHERO = NEW GM. Coach decision is Shero's.

ghdi

I talked about this earlier in the season as well.. Ironically, one of Lou's 'better' deals will probably end up hurting the Devils in the long run.

You'd have a hard time convincing me we wouldn't be picking top 3 this season without Cory's freakishly good goaltending.

I agree here. The likelihood of us being competitive while Cory's in his prime is slim to none. And look at how Horvat is progressing.

That's why that "great" trade might hurt the franchise more than it helps. 9th pick in 2013, and perhaps a top 3 pick in 2015 is probably better than Schneider and the 7th, especially when you consider what you just said. The Devils may not be a good team when Schneider is still good, and Schneider probably stops the Devils from getting a top 3 pick unless they win the lottery.

Yeah but I don't know if the fanbase or organization could handle it. Definitely can't handle it like Buffalo/Edmonton handles it. I mean, boos and jeers directed toward our players at season ticketholder events, people calling for our new owners' and Lou's heads all season, people boycotting, etc...

And then, okay, say you draft pretty well for a few years, and then what happens when the league is dried up on goaltending options? Then suddenly our problem is at goaltending and it takes us as long as the Flyers to find a halfway decent goaltender?

I think Lou made the right choice and the right deal at the time. At least we have a starting point. Defense is solidifying and we're set with goaltending; our objective from here on out is pretty clear.

Edited by DJ Eco

Hmm...I say trade Schneider to a team like Tampa for a few first round picks. Schneider's talents are wasted on this team. Seeing how bad Bishop is, could you imagine Schneider on the Bolts? Or a team like them in need of a good goalie?

I would do it for Vasilevsky and Drouin +TB cap dump. That's the type of deal NJ needs to make

Trading him to Tampa is silly. They have Bishop, he's played well - no one here is remembering this is first playoff season. It's rare to be this far as a rookie. 

Now, Edmonton is dying for a goalie. 

Drasaitl, 16th pick and Scrivens?

I do it probably. 

Trading him to Tampa is silly. They have Bishop, he's played well - no one here is remembering this is first playoff season. It's rare to be this far as a rookie. 

Now, Edmonton is dying for a goalie. 

Drasaitl, 16th pick and Scrivens?

I do it probably. 

I just don't know that I'd be happy with that return

maybe make them throw in next years first

Edited by Onddeck

If Cory can be unloaded for an elite young forward and a serviceable goaltender, I say go for it.

Nothing against the guy, obviously, but he's going to waste his prime years here.  And the Devils don't really need elite goaltending during a rebuild.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense for us to trade him.

There's no point in keeping him. Let him spend his prime on a contender/up and coming team, if we need to be horrible next year, let us be horrible but with a young group and not riding Cory to mediocrity. 

He's our most valuable chip (whassat). Why not see if we can get massive value for a long-term signed awesome goaltender. 

Scrivens posted a .915 a few season ago, yes our team will be horrible, but perhaps the structure we'll play + young D can help him post better numbers than in years past. 

as much as it makes sense to trade Schneider, its not happening.  That was the last smart move Lou made and I can't see the owners allowing us to throw away solid and consistent goaltending for a few picks, especially after their ROI comments the other day.  And lets remember, our 'fans' (influx of fans the last few years) would be RAVENOUS. Boycotts left and right, calling for Harris to be impeached, blaming Shero for the events at the embassy in Benghazi.  It would be a nightmare.

Remember Cory just started playing full time a year ago. I don't think he'll hit his prime as early as some do. He could be elite for 7 or 8 more years.

I was saying this to my brother yesterday.  He is no where near his age in terms of his play right now, and no where near burnt out yet.  Other starters like Marty and Hank started to show their splits around this age.
Edited by RunninWithTheDevil

as much as it makes sense to trade Schneider, its not happening.  That was the last smart move Lou made and I can't see the owners allowing us to throw away solid and consistent goaltending for a few picks, especially after their ROI comments the other day.  And lets remember, our 'fans' (influx of fans the last few years) would be RAVENOUS. Boycotts left and right, calling for Harris to be impeached, blaming Shero for the events at the embassy in Benghazi.  It would be a nightmare.

I was saying this to my brother yesterday.  He is no where near his age in terms of his play right now, and no where near burnt out yet.  Other starters like Marty and Hank started to show their splits around this age.

First of all, I don't believe it's just a couple of picks and last I checked we need draft picks and prospects. 

Drasaitl is about as known a commodity as you can be without being a NHL roster player at this point. He'd make our line up next year. 

#16 is unknown, sure, but it's a deep draft and someone has to trust their scouts eventually. Scrivens could be serviceable with Kinkaid in a rebuilding year and next years first in addition to our #1 next season could be valuable.

Schneider's not going to fvcking Edmonton.  Let's just stop that talk right now - he has a no-trade, which is usually a no-Edmonton.  I could see him ending up other places, but probably not for another year at least.  He just signed a big contract to stay here.

Edited by Triumph

F my original post. 

Schneider and Merrill

Drasaitl, #16, 2016 1st and Scrivens

Fast track the rebuild with. 

#6, #16, #36, #41 picks

plus a NHL ready center in Drasaitl. 

The Oilers did offer a significant prospect and the 7th pick two years ago, but different management now in charge. They are going to try and grab a goalie, but I bet they are not ready to swing for the fences just yet on a trade like that.

The Devils are not trading Cory Schneider. End of discussion.

The Oilers did offer a significant prospect and the 7th pick two years ago, but different management now in charge. They are going to try and grab a goalie, but I bet they are not ready to swing for the fences just yet on a trade like that.

The Oilers are gonna target Malcolm Subban, mark my words. Chiarelli drafted him and they have the pieces to get that deal done.

Sure, I get that. But if you're Edmonton, do you really want to take another risk on a goalie. 

Tri, does Cory's deal with the NTC kick in July 1? Did we have confirmation he got one (I assume he did)

I believe you're correct about his NTC. 

Regarding talk of Schneider's longevity. The Rangers were pretty god awful when Henrik Lundqvist was Cory Schneider's age 5 years ago. A lot can happen in 5 years if the GM is doing his job right.

Add in the fact that Schneider hasn't gotten the mileage on him that other goaltenders have at his age, and the truth is he could be playing at a high level for many years to come.

Edited by DJ Eco