RAY SHERO = NEW GM. Coach decision is Shero's.

ghdi

Wow!!!  I have a hard time thinking this is Lou's idea. 

Doesnt seem like it was

@EJHradek_NHL

Despite Lamoriello's comments today, @NHLDevils new owners Josh Harris & David Blitzer "strongly encouraged" him to move in this direction

Doesnt seem like it was

@EJHradek_NHL

Despite Lamoriello's comments today, @NHLDevils new owners Josh Harris & David Blitzer "strongly encouraged" him to move in this direction

I applaud Harris and Blitzer then. No one can say they don't care now.

I find it difficult to be upset. A change is coming and that's a good thing -- you can't deny that Lou is brilliant, but you also can't deny that we lack any real foundation, have a horrific core of young offensive talent, and have been in an awkward limbo since Kovy and Parise left.

Shero wouldn't be my first choice, but change was necessary.

That's exactly why I can be upset.  I would think Lou would've gotten at least a little longer of a leash after everything he's done.  And what has Shero done to warrant the excitement?  Because his name isn't Lou?  He sounds like a less successful version of Lou.

• Like 1

Lot of questions about this one - Shero's 50 in July, so he's at least probably around the average age of a GM.  Is he ready to tear this team down-ish for a few years?  If this is at ownership's behest, surely they recognized that the team was heading in the exact wrong direction - I mean the numbers over the last few months were abysmal.  

How much control will Shero have?  I see that Lou put him in charge of the coaching hire and that makes sense - Shero probably has better contacts around the game than Lou does at this point.  But as team president, does Lou have final say on trades and what-not?  I suspect he does.  So that will be a curious transition.  And who's hiring scouts and overseeing that whole thing?  Anyway, this is not the presser I thought the team would be having today, but it does represent a step in the right direction, I think - Shero at least has zero loyalty to this roster, and that's good, because there's really only 3-5 players on this roster who are deserving of it.

Read about what happened with the 76ers. Get ready for the same story here.

Our owners paid more than TWICE the payroll for the Devils' roster this year than they did for the 76ers'. They've shown they're committed to spending money and making moves, your comment is apples to oranges. I think they realize that a 23-man NHL team requires different strategies than an NBA team THEY hired Sunny Mehta. And THEY just hired a new GM whose achieved success in the new NHL.

Edited by DJ Eco

This is good for the team. I feel like a few of you are more of fan of Lou than the team itself though. Lou was a great GM and we should build a statue of the guy at the Rock, but we were in desperate need of change.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

DK: The root of any successful franchise is the draft. How big of a problem was the drafting?

Lemieux: It’s a problem. We’ve drafted well on defense. We’ve got some great prospects coming up, guys who are still in Wilkes-Barre, in juniors. We haven’t done as well at forward, obviously, but we’ve got some defensemen, some young guys we feel can step in over the next year or two.

Interesting is right LOL.. a few insertions and we have the 2015 devils

Terrific news. Adds a little spice to the offseason now in terms of draft and offseason moves. No way Shero was willing to come here without roster authority. Lou likely stays as President to ease into retirement in a year or two and deal with league business.