RAY SHERO = NEW GM. Coach decision is Shero's.

ghdi

Our owners paid more than TWICE the payroll for the Devils' roster this year than they did for the 76ers'. They've shown they're committed to spending money and making moves, your comment is apples to oranges. I think they realize that a 23-man NHL team requires different strategies than an NBA team THEY hired Sunny Mehta. And THEY just hired a new GM whose achieved success in the new NHL.

Success in the new NHL? Shero was a failure in Pittsburgh, he won 2 cups with Crosby and Malkin, he should have much more on his resume. He gutted the Penguins with bad trades, and drafted extremely poorly. Take a look at their first round draft picks outside of Ollie. 

Wait and see. Let's see what Shero can do without lucking into generational players. 

Have you read what happened? The 76ers rebuild was not their plan. They tried something completely different going all in on a superstar that never played a second for their team. It completely backfired, and they went after one of the most respected minds in the NBA, and he convinced them that a complete rebuild was the way to go.

It seems a lot fans aren't even against that approach with the current team.

Success in the new NHL? Shero was a failure in Pittsburgh, he won 2 cups with Crosby and Malkin, he should have much more on his resume. He gutted the Penguins with bad trades, and drafted extremely poorly. Take a look at their first round draft picks outside of Ollie. 

Youre so clueless and wearing blinders as thick as a cement truck for Lou.

You totally ignored and looked past Lou's recent failures sugarcoating everything he did like there was nothing wrong. And now bashing the new GM who hasnt done a single move yet? Do everyone a favor here and wait til he makes at least one move til you start whining.

1) He won 1 cup there (which is 1 more than we have in the same time span)

2) Take a look at our first round picks in the same time span. 

Wow! i have mixed emotions but like most folks say, it's best for the team. i'll always think Lou is awesome, and so glad he put this team on the map. New fresh thinking. I wonder what's going to happen with scouting?  Ultimately, GM makes the final decision on draft day.  I think Shero was always looking for players to improve Pens when he was there.

thankful Lou is still our Pres. 

I don't think drafting is really a GM's fault.  I think there are some organizational things that may trickle down from a GM/President to drafting that can be bad, but Shero's drafting isn't terrible because of him, it was bad because he was constantly trading picks away to help his team.  That made sense for the Penguins at the time.  What killed Shero mostly was loyalty to Fleury, which won't be an issue here, and an inability to augment the Penguins with depth, which will be an enormous problem here if he repeats the same mistakes.

It's just sad to hear a lot of you basically dancing on the grave of the guy that brought 3 cups because he didn't get another in 10 years.  Big picture, it was going to happen before he won another anyway because of his age but everyone is just excited to see next to Devils General Manager anyone's name but Lou's.  You look at what Shero did and tell me you're excited to see him running things from now on.  Not saying I won't watch every game but why would Shero have any built in trust for any Devil fan.  Just calling a spade, a spade.

Wowww. Just wow. I'm in Costa Rica and just turned my phone on.

not sure how I feel about this, it's so easy to point at the fact he should've had more wins with Crosby and Malkin.

At least this hopefully guarantees us taking a scorer in the deaft with our 1st this year... right?

Edited by Onddeck

2006 - Jordan Staal

2007 - Angelo Esposito

2008 - 1st Traded for Hossa

2009 - Simon Despres

2010 - Beau Bennett

2011 - Joe Morrow

2012 - Derrick Pouliot, Olli Maatta

Only one real miss in that crop, and 2007 was a 1st Round that only generated about 16 regular NHLers out of 30 selection. Take off the blinders, Shero has drafted fine during his tenure with the Pens.

It's just sad to hear a lot of you basically dancing on the grave of the guy that brought 3 cups because he didn't get another in 10 years.  Big picture, it was going to happen before he won another anyway because of his age but everyone is just excited to see next to Devils General Manager anyone's name but Lou's.  You look at what Shero did and tell me you're excited to see him running things from now on.  Not saying I won't watch every game but why would Shero have any built in trust for any Devil fan.  Just calling a spade, a spade.

Only a couple posters I would say are "dancing on his grave."  Most are just relieved that we seem to now be getting a new direction that we have needed for some time now.  That and it happened without a huge circus happening.

I appreciate Lou for everything he has done, but after 27 years the golden touch he once had seems to be fading.  Re-signing former Devils and players whose careers are in their sunsets is not the answer anymore.

I'm glad Lou is still with the organization, and I'm glad we finally have a new vision coming from the GM position. The best of both worlds. 

Now, I'm not a huge Shero fan, but I'm more than willing to give him a chance to put his stamp on this team. 

With Shero being the GM now he has no attachment to this team, so Tootoo and Gomez may not be on this team next year and its anyone guess who will be traded or bought out.  For all we know Elias could be asking for a trade right now

With Shero being the GM now he has no attachment to this team, so Tootoo and Gomez may not be on this team next year and its anyone guess who will be traded or bought out. For all we know Elias could be asking for a trade right now

o yea, good point. For all we know this team is about to have a full makeover

Well all the naysayers got their wish, now we'll see how the armchair GM's do...I just hope you're all at least thankful for the fact Lou's the only reason we even have a team in New Jersey and not Nashville.

Shero really worries me, his drafting record was crap in Pittsburgh.

I find it hard to judge or scorn Lou or Shero alone for any positive or negative draft pick. Scouting departments are not created equally. I blame Conte for our drafts more than I blame Lou alone, even if Lou had final say. I do knock Lou for the amount of crappy contracts that he's thrown around since 04 as well as the coaching carousel until DeBoer came in.

The place to judge these guys are the trades they've made and the contracts/FAs they've brought in. Shero was forced to trade Jordan Staal when he rejected a contract offer and got back a top pick in the draft for him (+ a coveted at the time younger player in Brandon Sutter), which is exactly what Lou should've done with Parise when he declined our offer made in January and stuck to his guns by not making further offers until after the draft. Shero also had the luxury of having a team that was constantly in contention and was one of the most active GMs in the game trying to improve the team. It obviously didn't always work, but no one can say Shero sat on his hands. Stating he should've won more just because of Crosby and Malkin is folly. Two players doesn't make a team. I would argue that Shero's greatest mistake w/ the Pens was his stubbornness in respect to Fleury.

Lou clearly was forced into this position by ownership based on comments by TG and Hradek. He got us a guy who knows the business and was going to be heavily targeted by other teams looking for a new GM and without having to pay any compensation to a division rival. He set us up well. Its a far better situation than bringing in a neophyte GM or someone like Nonis.

Are you really surprised though?  People've wanted Lou out for the last decade, hell they didn't like him even when he was winning

Lou is a legend.  I'm sad to see him leave like this but it had to be done.

Shero's a safe hire, he's shown enough competence in the job to be reasonably good at it in NJ.  Even though he once traded away two 2nd round picks for Douglas Murray.

Yeah that's another thing for all of Lou's recent ills drafting and in FA when was his last truly bad trade?