Tootoo signed to one year deal (825K)

ghdi

It's nowhere close to league minimum - league minimum is $575,000, so Tootoo is making 40% over league minimum.

I don't mind it too much because the alternatives are probably worse, in a lot of respects - a multi-year deal to anyone on Tootoo's level is awful. But like dr33 says, I don't love what it says about Shero. We'll see. If the Devils look into shopping him at the deadline and get a 4th round pick for him, this is a win - they paid $200k for a 4th rounder, and I think that's worth it. If they get nothing and Tootoo ends up on the power play again, something's massively wrong. Tootoo's not going to score 10 goals again, he shot double his career shooting percentage, and was used on the power play much more than he has any business being used. He's not totally without talent in the offensive zone, but he'll be lucky to score half that this year.

This is like belly-aching over the worst team in baseball mildly overpaying a below average middle reliever.

If it were a two year deal at over $1 million per, I would say it's a sign of bad things to come. But it's not that, so there aren't any tea leaves to be read, at least until further notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow its just a fourth liner (a good one) being paid under a million for one year. Calm down people calm down.

Pretty much how I feel. For what's probably going to be another down year, I'm fine with him being brought back on a 1 year deal as a stopgap. I don't expect him to produce as much offensively but it seems like he's a good team guy and as a fan I love how hard he plays. He was one of the few players I actually enjoyed watching last year.

Let the Shero bashing begin.

It's amazing how people will complain about signing a 4th liner (and the only "fighter" on the team) to a 1 year deal for less than $1 million.

to be fair in this thread there's only 1 person who really opposes the signing.

I agree with Daniel. There was a (poor) argument to be made for the Devils to give him a second year. It wouldn't have been shocking, but it obviously would've been the wrong move

I'm more curious to see what he gives Larsson

Edited by SMantzas

i like this.. hes a solid 4th line guy and brings a good physical presence that this team lacks bad! but i hope this does mean that either gionta or bernier wont be back and im hoping its gionta they find something else to do with him i think he still has a year left on his current deal.

It says he's willing to sign 4th liners to deals they don't merit, financially, and partly based on 'knowledge' of the player from 10 years ago. Now it doesn't matter for the Devils because they will be millions under the cap anyway, but this wasn't something he excelled at in Pittsburgh, either.

But you know what Tri? Every GM in the league does this year after year, even those with Cups on their resume. Holland, Sather, Bowman etc. just to name a few

i like this.. hes a solid 4th line guy and brings a good physical presence that this team lacks bad! but i hope this does mean that either gionta or bernier wont be back and im hoping its gionta they find something else to do with him i think he still has a year left on his current deal.

I think Bernier is a goner, Matteau is probably a 4th liner to start. Gionta will be in camp but I think he's going to be jettisoned by whoever the new HC is.

If I had to take one of them between Tootoo and Bernier, I'd take Tootoo. No need to overpay Bernier for production he'll never reach again, and at least Tootoo will drop the gloves. When you have a player like Jordin Tootoo on your roster, you never have a need to call up a slug like Janssen.

Wow its just a fourth liner (a good one) being paid under a million for one year. Calm down people calm down.

Tri....

Just think

.... it could've been Fraser instead.

:devil:

This thread is exhibit A of making a mountain out of a molehill...

It's not the contract itself, but trying to understand the process of how Shero got signing Tootoo so quickly after taking over. If it's, "hey I know him from a decade ago", it's not a great start.

The Devils are set up to be filled with bottom liners next season from Bernier, Tootoo, Gionta, Zubrus, Ruutu, Josefson, Matteau...few that you can count on to get 15-20 points. If you are prioritizing Tootoo within 3 days, it's interesting...that's all.

As for the Fraser comment, HOI. Just give it a bit of time...

Edited by devilsrule33

It's not the contract itself, but trying to understand the process of how Shero got signing Tootoo so quickly after taking over. If it's, "hey I know him from a decade ago", it's not a great start.

The Devils are set up to be filled with bottom liners next season from Bernier, Tootoo, Gionta, Zubrus, Ruutu, Josefson, Matteau...few that you can count on to get 15-20 points. If you are prioritizing Tootoo within 3 days, it's interesting...that's all.

Or, maybe it's a case of seeing Tootoo had a better season than a lot of people expected, and there's no downside to it.

Now, a Fraser signing as anything more than needing a body at some point close to the start or at the beginning of the season would be an actual indication that Shero doesn't get it. Keeping Salvador would be an immediate sign of awful things to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think half of that group you list above won't be here. No chance they bring back the same group. People like to point out the top 6 being a problem and it is but the bottom 6 were largely awful as well collectively. Bringing back the same group is essentially punting the season. It's time to shake up that whole group.

I think half of that group you list above won't be here. No chance they bring back the same group. People like to point out the top 6 being a problem and it is but the bottom 6 were largely awful as well collectively. Bringing back the same group is essentially punting the season. It's time to shake up that whole group.

Ha, the New Jersey Devils have one of the better bottom 6 forward groups in the league.

Don't like it, but at least it's only 1 year and maybe they can get a 4th or 5th for him at the deadline.

Jesus Christ. I think you're a hired troll. No exaggeration.

Hes a heart and soul player that at times last year was our best player on the lineup. No denying that. It's a great signing for one year and under 1 mil. I can name 15 other players on this team less deserving of a contract than this guy.