Interesting Happenings down south

William D'Aquila

I'm just curious what Beetle's preferred plan of action would be here, honestly.

Because all I'm seeing is a ton of bashing on the new owners - no mention of better approach.

I'm pretty sure his preferred plan of action at this point is to try resurrecting McMullen from the dead. Edited by MadDog2020

The Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting that 76ers’ center Joel Embiid—the third pick in last year’s draft—has suffered setbacks in his recovery from surgery on his right foot and is unlikely to be ready for the start of next season, and may even miss the entire 2015-16 season.

What I would have done.

1. Kept Lou
2. Explore Russian players be it free agents or former NHL players such as Radulov and Burmistrov
3. Try to trade for Phil Kessel
4. Take the BPA at 6

I clicked the link expecting to read about how the 76ers refuse to say the word "Wells Fargo" despite them playing there.  O'Neill and the owners are pretty petty just because the bank stopped its sponsorship.  Don't get in the way of Harris and his money.

I clicked the link expecting to read about how the 76ers refuse to say the word "Wells Fargo" despite them playing there. O'Neill and the owners are pretty petty just because the bank stopped its sponsorship. Don't get in the way of Harris and his money.

If you want to talk about petty, let's talk about your boy JVB when he refused to replace the LED sign in the old Verizon tower after it caught fire on his watch and demanded Verizon pay for a new one.

If you want to talk about petty, let's talk about your boy JVB when he refused to replace the LED sign in the old Verizon tower after it caught fire on his watch and demanded Verizon pay for a new one.

Pipe down, Scott O'Neill, I don't want to buy a used car.

I clicked the link expecting to read about how the 76ers refuse to say the word "Wells Fargo" despite them playing there.  O'Neill and the owners are pretty petty just because the bank stopped its sponsorship.  Don't get in the way of Harris and his money.

They're building an $82 million practice facility in Camden, NJ, but by all means keep going with the narrative that they're somehow slimy penny-pinchers.

Easy guys, Lou is still in the org.  lol.  Leave the jerseys alone, just add a nice 3rd one to some effect and everyone will be happy.

It's fine.  DevsMan and all those guys are just Scott O'Neill's love children that want to sell penny stocks like Wolf on Wall Street.  They hate on previous owners that have brought the Devils to cups like McMullen and hate Lou too, then love a guy that is so obsessed with money and tanking.  Sure they're making the team close to profitable, but toward what end?

It's fine. DevsMan and all those guys are just Scott O'Neill's love children that want to sell penny stocks like Wolf on Wall Street. They hate on previous owners that have brought the Devils to cups like McMullen and hate Lou too, then love a guy that is so obsessed with money and tanking. Sure they're making the team close to profitable, but toward what end?

I never said I hate Lou.

And lol about McMullen. You accuse the current owners of being bean counters yet you celebrate that miser in Scroogr McMullen. His claim to fame is just two things: he brought the Rockies to NJ and he took a gamble on hiring a college AD with no previous NHL experience that turned out to work. Outside of those two he is known for investing little into the team, investing zip into marketing, did little to improve that sh!thole known as the BBA (that also on NJSEA) and for being half a heartbeat away from moving the team to Nashville (though somehow many devils fans warped that narrative to bettman being 100% responsible and McMullen getting 0 blame). McMullen was Bill Wirtz-lite is more like it.

But I guess that would ruin yours and beetlebum's narrative about how the new owners are terrible and are to blame for everything under the sun.

I never said I hate Lou.

And lol about McMullen. You accuse the current owners of being bean counters yet you celebrate that miser in Scroogr McMullen. His claim to fame is just two things: he brought the Rockies to NJ and he took a gamble on hiring a college AD with no previous NHL experience that turned out to work. Outside of those two he is known for investing little into the team, investing zip into marketing, did little to improve that sh!thole known as the BBA (that also on NJSEA) and for being half a heartbeat away from moving the team to Nashville (though somehow many devils fans warped that narrative to bettman being 100% responsible and McMullen getting 0 blame). McMullen was Bill Wirtz-lite is more like it.

But I guess that would ruin yours and beetlebum's narrative about how the new owners are terrible and are to blame for everything under the sun.

Having lived through the good and bad of McMullen, I can agree with this assessment 100%.  I was in HS when we won in 1995, and having the Nashville threat looming over this franchise was horrible.  Definitely put a little damper on the celebration.  

Bettman drew the ire of Devils fans for his comment that he didn't think this region could support 3 hockey teams.  The reaction he got during the intermission interview at Game 4 of the 95 SCF was epic.  It was the most unified chanting one of our crowds has ever done.

Edited by Chuck the Duck

Having lived through the good and bad of McMullen, I can agree with this assessment 100%.  I was in HS when we won in 1995, and having the Nashville threat looming over this franchise was horrible.  Definitely put a little damper on the celebration.  

Bettman drew the ire of Devils fans for his comment that he didn't think this region could support 3 hockey teams.  The reaction he got during the intermission interview at Game 4 of the 95 SCF was epic.  It was the most unified chanting one of our crowds has ever done.

Hate to say this, but Bettman was just telling what he believed was the truth (and I think he was being pretty objective to it).

McMullen was sold a bill of goods by the league when he moved the team to NJ by that he was told at the time that the region could support 3 teams (more like 4 with Philly).  Hell they even had an exhibition game in Sept of 1981 between the Flyers and Rangers, pretty much sold out the building, and told him that all he had to do was open the doors and the fans would come.  Well the team sucked and the expectation for thousands of fans to break their team allegiance overnight for the new NJ team was vastly overstated and BBA was never packed in those early years.

That said McMullen was tired of losing money every year and decided it was time to pack it in and move to Nashville.  Bettman didn't exactly encourage him but he didn't try to stop him either.  Still Bettman was made the complete villain in this and McMullen basically escaped any criticism.  McMullen just wanted to follow the money as well and almost moved the team to do so (and was the reason why he moved them to NJ in the first place).

Hate to say this, but Bettman was just telling what he believed was the truth (and I think he was being pretty objective to it).

McMullen was sold a bill of goods by the league when he moved the team to NJ by that he was told at the time that the region could support 3 teams (more like 4 with Philly).  Hell they even had an exhibition game in Sept of 1981 between the Flyers and Rangers, pretty much sold out the building, and told him that all he had to do was open the doors and the fans would come.  Well the team sucked and the expectation for thousands of fans to break their team allegiance overnight for the new NJ team was vastly overstated and BBA was never packed in those early years.

That said McMullen was tired of losing money every year and decided it was time to pack it in and move to Nashville.  Bettman didn't exactly encourage him but he didn't try to stop him either.  Still Bettman was made the complete villain in this and McMullen basically escaped any criticism.  McMullen just wanted to follow the money as well and almost moved the team to do so (and was the reason why he moved them to NJ in the first place).

In bold:  that was a lot of the problem.  Also didn't help that the three nearby teams had loyal fanbases for very valid reasons:  Rangers had been in the area forever, the Flyers had been a consistent winner for several years, and the Isles were obviously at the very top of their game.  The former Rockies (who everyone knew sucked when they got here) weren't exactly giving New Jersey hockey fans many compelling reasons to bail on their current teams, especially when they took the uber-slow and deliberate approach to building a team...they averaged about 23 wins per season in their first five years in NJ, and were basically taking baby steps forward (48 points, then 41, 54, 59, and 64).  And like many have noted, the franchise never exactly exuded warmth when McMullen owned it.     

As for McMullen himself...brought hockey to NJ.  Of course I appreciate that (as does just about every Devils fan).  It's funny how as the years pass some people seem to remember him as benevolent grandfatherly-type...I think he definitely had that side to him, but I think he also had a very cold businesslike side to him as well, and we saw more of that than anything else.  I think both he and Lou could be pretty cold and aloof when it came to this fanbase, and his flirting with Nashville did take a little something away from the Cup run...sure, he probably had his reasons, but it never felt like the franchise gave much of a damn about the fans or the fan experience under his ownership, especially before the team started to turn things around.  Let's face it, three Cup wins makes everyone involved become more likable...95 helped both McMullen and Lou a lot in that regard.  Staying put in NJ helped even more.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

In bold:  that was a lot of the problem.  Also didn't help that the three nearby teams had loyal fanbases for very valid reasons:  Rangers had been in the area forever, the Flyers had been a consistent winner for several years, and the Isles were obviously at the very top of their game.  The former Rockies (who everyone knew sucked when they got here) weren't exactly giving New Jersey hockey fans many compelling reasons to bail on their current teams, especially when they took the uber-slow and deliberate approach to building a team...they averaged about 23 wins per season in their first five years in NJ, and were basically taking baby steps forward (48 points, then 41, 54, 59, and 64).  And like many have noted, the franchise never exactly exuded warmth when McMullen owned it.     

As for McMullen himself...brought hockey to NJ.  Of course I appreciate that (as does just about every Devils fan).  It's funny how as the years pass some people seem to remember him as benevolent grandfatherly-type...I think he definitely had that side to him, but I think he also had a very cold businesslike side to him as well, and we saw more of that than anything else.  I think both he and Lou could be pretty cold and aloof when it came to this fanbase, and his flirting with Nashville did take a little something away from the Cup run...sure, he probably had his reasons, but it never felt like the franchise gave much of a damn about the fans or the fan experience under his ownership, especially before the team started to turn things around.  Let's face it, three Cup wins makes everyone involved become more likable...95 helped both McMullen and Lou a lot in that regard.  Staying put in NJ helped even more.   

The bold part is the part that still shocks me.  I get the people who were not old enough or were not a fan back then to have this idea of him, but there are even many who were fans through those years and for some reason look upon him as that benevolent grandfatherly-type.  I remember him as a complete miser and cheapskate who seemingly barely put a dime into the Devils and the fan experience.  People want to complain about the new owners taking down a couple of sh!tty murals and fathead stickers on the columns of the players at the Rock yet never mention how for many years if it wasn't for the few banners in the rafters and a couple of souvenir stands you would walk into the arena and barely know the Devils played there.  He did zip to market the team or engage the fanbase but he still gets a free pass from many.

I guess it's the same kind of mentality some people have in regards to NYC these days.  There are those who say they miss the "realness" and uniqueness of NYC back in the 70's and 80's that is missing from it now.  However, they also overlook how much of a sh!thole most parts of the city was during that time period as well and how much safer and cleaner it is.  I remember a little bit of pre-Giuliani NYC and I do not miss it one bit.

Edited by DevsMan84

Hey, the 3rd jersey would be a nice change and it's a good thing. Whether it's a black-based jersey or just the retro red-green jersey, it doesn't matter.

Sometimes I think the entire fan base has lost its mind.

As for that New York City remark, I don't think anyone forgets what pre-Giuliani New York was like for nostalgia sake. New York is one of the least tolerable places in the world as far as I'm concerned. It's a terrible town filled with terrible people that gentrifies its problems to the margins.

I was 30 when the Devils came to NJ. The fan experience prior to winning our first Cup is not what some seem to portray.  It was fun.  There were lots of fan events.  I especially enjoyed the brunches with the Devils serving the fans.  Hector Marini was fabulous.  Dave Hutchinson was really funny.  We used to get autograph books and no one ever turned down a request.  There were dinners and 1 or 2 players were seated with fans at each table.  There was lots of stuff.

NYC was fun in the 60's and 70's.  You just needed to know where to go.  I hate cities btw.  Now I avoid them at all costs and that includes the one across the river.

Edited by StarDew

I do remember the brunches...never got to go to any.

To be fair, I do remember $6 seats being available for a bit in the upper corners back in the early 90s, for college students. That was a sweet deal for those of us who were 20 or 21 and practically broke. Allowed me to go to a lot of games I wouldn't have been able to go to otherwise.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976