After GM change, Martin Brodeur not expecting to return to Devils &#34

msweet

Martin Brodeur might still return to the Devils some day to work in their front office, but he does not anticipate that happening anytime soon with Lou Lamoriello no longer their general manager.

Although Lamoriello remains as team president in charge of hockey operations,  Brodeur sees the organization going in a bit of a different direction after hiring Ray Shero as GM last week and had already been talking with the St. Louis Blues about remaining as part of that team's front office.

In fact, that will likely become official by the end of next week, after Blues GM Doug Armstrong returns from the world championships in the Czech Republic and Brodeur returns from spending some time at his home in Florida.

“Especially with the change (the Devils) made, I think it's a great opportunity for me to take a step back and go somewhere – or stay somewhere – that I'll be able to learn and do things I want to do and try to learn as much as possible and who knows what the future,” the former Devils goaltender told northjersey,com today. “But, it's less and less likely it's going to happen in New Jersey for a few years, that's for sure.”

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/after-gm-change-martin-brodeur-not-expecting-to-return-to-devils-for-a-few-years-1.1331807

I really do not get where this thought or assumption that Brodeur would make a great GM or Asst. GM coming from.  I am hearing a lot of "he is a good evaluator of talent" quite a bit in regards to this.  My question is based on what?  I really haven't seen any evidence to show me that he is.  I am not against Marty joining the front office, but I would rather join when he has some experience under his belt and not for some nostalgia,

Regardless Marty will get his number retired this coming season.  It will be another miserable season next year and this is pretty much a guaranteed sellout so might as well (that and because he obviously earned it).  I will be running to get tickets once it is announced.

Had Harris not forced his hand, Lou just may have hired Brodeur out of nostalgia in 1-2 years after he retired as GM. And that would have set us back big-time. A fresh approach was sorely needed for this organization. I'm glad Harris co-owns this team.

Had Harris not forced his hand, Lou just may have hired Brodeur out of nostalgia in 1-2 years after he retired as GM. And that would have set us back big-time. A fresh approach was sorely needed for this organization. I'm glad Harris co-owns this team.

Not only a fresh approach, but an approach by someone who's not learning on the job. I'll be completely content if Brodeur works around the league and comes back here in 10 years when he's ready. We cannot afford an inexperienced GM or AGM right now.

NO, your point being? I think it is about smarts. Look back on some of Marty's decision personal and hockey related about himself and how he accepted blame during the season games.  

I always had that in the back of my mind too.  Brodeur wasn't one to put the blame on himself and that is what he is going to have to do a lot of times if he ever wants to be a GM.  But that is something that you can learn just like anything else.  Personal decisions, I just don't see why you care about that.  I would hope he understands he is not making decisions for himself but for the team.  I like him learning from other organizations because he knows more than anyone how Lou does things but I've said this before:  him not wanting to come back is a scary thought.  He's learned enough from how Lou does things, go out and learn how other teams have built organizations.  I just hope both sides want him to come back in the future.

If he's serious about getting into a front office job, let him learn elsewhere and make mistakes elsewhere. Adding him into the mix now with Shero onboard would be too many hands in the cookie jar b/c you know Lou isn't going to stay completely on the sidelines.

If Shero doesn't improve this team in 2-3 years, I don't think he'll be GM here anymore, that may be the time to consider Marty depending on his growth outside of the organization. All he knows is the Devils way of doing things and its probably better for him to get some experience underneath a different philosophy. 

If he never comes back, I don't see it as a bad thing. Yzerman's in Tampa of all places and no one considers him less of a Red Wing for it. At the end of the day, Marty is one of the top 3 at his position all time and from an on ice perspective put the franchise on the map forever. Its not going to change any of that.

Yeah, not nearly as upset about this as I thought I'd be. I wish him luck, and still wish he ends up here eventually because it just seems right, but I guess that'd mean he'd have to fail or else why would he wanna leave, and if he does, why would we necessarily want him then lol, so...it doesn't seem like he will ever come here in a management role now. Especially with Lou starting to have a diminished role.

Good luck Marty.

Yea good for him. People who go out to St. Louis (either to be a member of their baseball of hockey franchise) tend to enjoy it out there and stay. And he gets a good job as assistant GM to learn the job for a while. Who knows how his off ice career goes...I mean Gretzky ended up a terrible coach, but he is doing things the right way.