A Demographics Poll!: Devils or Rangers

Derlique

43 members have voted

1. 1. Breakdown of fandom

• Mix- 60-40% in either direction
    • Mostly NJ - >60%
    • Mostly NYR- >60%

Staten Island here but there is a decent portion of the island that is Devils fans because we might as well be Jersey for the most part and I probably make it to the arena and home quicker than the majority of the board, my record is about 22 minutes lol

The majority of my family is mainly from New Jersey and my first game ever was a Devils game because my cousin took me when I was little and that's how I got hooked.

North Hudson County; more Devils fans. I make that distinction because Hoboken and downtown Jersey City has more Rangers fans: the yuppie, transplant, hipster effect, etc...

Staten Island here but there is a decent portion of the island that is Devils fans because we might as well be Jersey for the most part and I probably make it to the arena and home quicker than the majority of the board, my record is about 22 minutes lol

The majority of my family is mainly from New Jersey and my first game ever was a Devils game because my cousin took me when I was little and that's how I got hooked.

I've met a ton of Devils fans from Staten Island. Always surprises me but I can see why. Without traffic, you're like a 20 minute drive to the arena.

Hey everyone, I am a new member to this forum ( have been reading it for quite a while though). Thought I could give my view on this topic. 

I live in Manhattan, so obviously the ratio of Rangers to Devils fans here is probably 100 to 1( which really makes it bad when the Rangers are good, and everyone is on the bandwagon here in New York).  But i am originally from Monmouth County.   A lot of my town was made up of New York transplants, but it was pretty evenly split between Devils and Rangers throughout my days in High school. I would say it was probably 60-40 Devils, although when the Rangers started to make the playoffs again a lot of "die hard" fans came out of the no where. 

North Hudson County; more Devils fans. I make that distinction because Hoboken and downtown Jersey City has more Rangers fans: the yuppie, transplant, hipster effect, etc...

I've met a ton of Devils fans from Staten Island. Always surprises me but I can see why. Without traffic, you're like a 20 minute drive to the arena.

Staten Island should be part of New Jersey if it weren't for a poorly written treaty and a speedy (for his time) ship captain.

Where I grew up in the Bronx I was the only Devils fan I knew, though the Rags were maybe 70/30 over the Islanders. Here in Camden County, it's easily 95% Flyers 5% everyone else. Seriously though, they hate the Devils down here, even more than they hate Crosby (which is saying something)

Upstate NY like Orange County also has a decent amount of Devils fans too.

I feel you there, i live in philly. which brings up a question that you might be able to shed light on.

seeing that you live around all three fan bases, would you say that one is worse than the other? I really only experience flyer fans, but its just hard for me to picture Ranger fans being worse than them

I'm closer friends with Flyer fans than any rangers fans. In my opinion, I'm more tolerant of Flyer fans. The Ranger fans I know are smug.

I'm closer friends with Flyer fans than any rangers fans. In my opinion, I'm more tolerant of Flyer fans. The Ranger fans I know are smug.

Flyers fans act like drunken idiots in our building (and theirs) but it's mostly rooted in the fact that they know how much they suck and have sucked for a long time.

Rangers fans on the other hand don't grasp the reality that they too sucked for a long time, and haven't really achieved anything in more than 2 decades. That simple fact eludes a lot of them and explains a lot of their behavior, so much so that they think "Matteau! Matteau!" upsets us still lol I mean, this group doesn't include Derek21 from this site, for example, but in the outside world it does explain a lot of the ones I know, and a lot of the ones I see come to the Rock every year. They really think they are the most important team in the NHL and always have been.

Edited by DJ Eco

In South Jersey the Flyers fans I know understand hockey and their team. The few Rangers fans I know are fly by night types who don't really love the game itself just their team- they would never consider watching Ducks/Hawks for example.

Grew up in Westfield, Union County. By the time I graduated high school, in 1992, I'd say there were more Rangers fans. 70/30. Hell there even more Flyers fans than Devils fans. Couldn't tell you the numbers now though.

I didn't vote though because that information is basically useless now.

Hey, another Westfielder! I'm actually moving back there next month when I finish school. I'd say it's about even between Devils and Rags fans- Maybe 55-45 Devils.

Hey, another Westfielder! I'm actually moving back there next month when I finish school. I'd say it's about even between Devils and Rags fans- Maybe 55-45 Devils.

Awesome! Good to know the tables have turned. All that hard work I did back then must've paid off.

Currently in Montgomery County in the burbs NW of Philly. You'd be damned lucky to find someone wearing Devils gear in this whole area, especially with the lousy seasons they've had recently. They did(do) sell some Devils stuff at Franklin Mills mall at some sports shop when I was there a couple of years ago.

Odd thing is I keep seeing this black dude in a Rangers jersey around KOP mall once in a while.

Also when it's 50/50 in the heart of Jersey far away from the Hudson River, even when the team was doing well, then sorry but something is seriously wrong and the Devils should be ashamed of themselves for not promoting themselves better especially in their own state. 50/50 in Hudson county, Bergen county and directly up to the NY state border I get, but freaking Westfield?

Edited by Marv4Life

Grew up off Central Ave in Clark on the border. I'd say it's 50-50.

By Bradlee's? Yeah that was still there when I lived there. The Bradlees/Caldors shopping center, lol. The White Rose is good too.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Where I grew up in the Bronx I was the only Devils fan I knew, though the Rags were maybe 70/30 over the Islanders. Here in Camden County, it's easily 95% Flyers 5% everyone else. Seriously though, they hate the Devils down here, even more than they hate Crosby (which is saying something)

I'm proud that they hate us as much as they do down there. Shows just how much we've owned the Phailures historically.

Currently in Montgomery County in the burbs NW of Philly. You'd be damned lucky to find someone wearing Devils gear in this whole area, especially with the lousy seasons they've had recently. They did(do) sell some Devils stuff at Franklin Mills mall at some sports shop when I was there a couple of years ago.

Odd thing is I keep seeing this black dude in a Rangers jersey around KOP mall once in a while.

Also when it's 50/50 in the heart of Jersey far away from the Hudson River, even when the team was doing well, then sorry but something is seriously wrong and the Devils should be ashamed of themselves for not promoting themselves better especially in their own state. 50/50 in Hudson county, Bergen county and directly up to the NY state border I get, but freaking Westfield?

I rock my Devils gear on the main line. I even met Josh Harris' personal chef at the Whole Foods in Devon. 

Jim, where did you grow up in the Bronx? I am from Morris Park. 

Monmouth. 85% of my friends are Rag fans. General population I'd say 60/40 Rags because we are a Brooklyn/Staten Isalnd "retirement" community.

It's really sickening.

Depends on who you ask really. Was in Colts Neck the other day and talking to a Ranger fan and mentioned how everyone was a Devils fan. Majority of the kids I coach are ranger fans
  • Like 1