The Rangers will win the 2017 Stanley Cup. It's a foregone conclus

'7'

I think saying the penguins are on the decline is a bit of an over exaggeration. I think we forget because we've been watching Crosby Malkin and maf in the playoffs every year for a decade, we forget how young they still are. The term "retool" was created for a team like the penguins. The bruins are on the decline, the penguins have just cycled role players. One great off season and they're back in the conversation with the best in the east. Either way, is a healthy penguins team that far out as it is? I don't think so.

Almost no one on their team save Pouliot, Maata, and Bennett is getting better.  Everyone else is getting slightly worse, and this includes Malkin and Crosby, but especially their support players.

Brodeur almost never entered a playoff series with an inferior team.  It just didn't happen.  And when it did happen, he got beat.  Brodeur was phenomenal in some playoff years, but he was seldom the difference between winning and losing a series.  He never had a run where he took a mediocre team deep because of his terrific goaltending.  95, perhaps this can be argued, but I don't really think so, and even so, that team lost 4 games that playoff year.  He's beaten several Hall of Fame goalies in playoff series, so that's not really an issue.  He beat Lundqvist in 2012 and certainly played at least equal to him - Lundqvist had a great Game 1 that year but he definitely faltered there, and Brodeur was quite good in that series aside from a few clunkers.

Last year was the one year where the Rangers surrounded Lundqvist with a team almost as good as one of those Devils teams and they went to the Finals.  This year was their best shot, and if they miss next year, they're going to have a hard time in the future.  But anyone who thinks that's because of Lundqvist and that he's not one of the all-time greats because of this is missing the bigger picture.  

I think this is how I feel. When it comes to Lundqvist, he's by far their best player. It's not even close. Nash does what Nash does in the regular season but can't duplicate it in the playoffs. He performed better at least. Brassard is their best point producer in the postseason. He scores and sets up big goals. He's got the most points since coming over from CBJ. Kreider scores goals but still isn't consistent. Stepan always gives a great effort but he still goes through dry spells. He's their best overall forward. If only he could improve on draws. McDonagh is their second best player and he's a defenseman but not in the category of Leetch, Keith, Niedermayer, Stevens. Mac is very good but not great. He was hurt which didn't help.

Yandle was their best D in that series. He got healthy and played well. Girardi and Klein struggled. I feel like Danny G gets sh!tted on by some fans who base everything on Corsi. He's never gonna have a high ratio because he's a defensive defenseman. If they don't get a big 2nd round from Girardi, no comeback vs the Caps. Some of our fans are so unappreciative. a$$holes. That doesn't mean Danny G is perfect. He's paid like a top pair D. Much of the criticism stems from Sather screwing up last summer letting Stralman walk and replacing him with Boyle. Despite his advanced age, Boyle had a solid postseason. Still awfully scary in his end but he contributed offensively and was one of two effective defensemen in the third round. The two who were frequently bashed. Staal played with a broken ankle. No wonder he was hideous. He couldn't move and kept falling. He usually steps up in the playoffs. For him to have one assist and be a team worst minus-eight, I knew something was wrong. You're correct in assessing that he's overvalued. But he's proven he can be a 2nd pair shutdown guy. 

Injuries aren't an excuse. Every team has them. They got battered this time compared to last year. Even the first round vs the Pens was no picnic. And they had half their blueline out including Letang, Maatta and Ehrhoff. Pittsburgh would've been higher if they were healthy. That's despite a not so great roster with no backup for Fleury, who carried them. The Caps should be good again. Ovechkin bought into Trotz and Kuznetsov should break out. Burakovsky has talent too. They'll be free of Green's contract giving them space. I like their roster. Ward is also up. He'll attract a lot of interest. Holtby had a big year and was outstanding. He has to back it up. The Islanders should be good again. Hamonic will come back and kids Nelson, Lee and Strome should improve. I'm curious to see if Reinhart sticks. Columbus is my darkhorse. They had a zillion injuries. If healthy, they should be back in the mix. But need more consistency from Bobrovsky and the D to improve.

Couple of other thoughts. Yes, Hank had two putrid games. I blame him more for Game 3. They led 2-0 and the first goal to Stamkos was bad because even with our D running around, he pushed the puck right back to Stamkos who finished it. Two failed power plays prior helped turn that one. Kucherov's winner was awful. He just fell asleep. So uncharacteristic. That was the one game he needed to win. He'll probably be thinking about it along with Killorn's series clincher the whole summer. He takes it personal. 

Brodeur is a legend and top three all-time goalie. He's got all the hardware. His best performance is between the SCF 2000 and 2003 ECF. He was clutch in both. But like you stated, he never had to carry it by himself. Having Hall Of Famers Stevens and Niedermayer really helped. Rafalski too for those last two runs. That's about as great a team defense ever assembled. It doesn't take away from Marty. Just that those teams were great. I'd hardly classify the Lundqvist Rangers that way. They sneaked up on everyone last year after MSL lost his Mom with Lundqvist carrying them. And they won the President's Trophy coming from way back with Talbot stepping in. They're not great. They don't dominate. There isn't one dominant forward. Every ounce is squeezed. 

• 1 year later...
On 06/03/2015 at 11:04 AM, Triumph said:

Almost no one on their team save Pouliot, Maata, and Bennett is getting better.  Everyone else is getting slightly worse, and this includes Malkin and Crosby, but especially their support players.

Well I can admit  neither of us saw them winning the cup 12 months later.

On April 22, 2017 at 10:31 AM, thecoffeecake said:

Well I can admit  neither of us saw them winning the cup 12 months later.

Or that Bennett (one of the guys that was supposedly getting better) would be playing for us.  That he's not that good is not that unpredictable. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Daniel said:

Time to bump this one up.  Thanks for nothing Ottawa.

Ottawa are a bunch of overrated choke artists who got to where they were for playing the exact same system we did 20 years ago but getting absolutely no sh!t about it.

fvck them and their Bond villain looking coach.

59 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Ottawa are a bunch of overrated choke artists who got to where they were for playing the exact same system we did 20 years ago but getting absolutely no sh!t about it.

fvck them and their Bond villain looking coach.

I'd take Boucher over Hynes any day.

I suppose I won't get terribly worried until they have a series lead in the ECF but...still have an awful feeling about them this year

Still the Sens series IS 2-2. I mean Ottawa just has to play better at home right? And Lundqvist is not immune to a bad game.

58 minutes ago, '7' said:

I suppose I won't get terribly worried until they have a series lead in the ECF but...still have an awful feeling about them this year

Still the Sens series IS 2-2. I mean Ottawa just has to play better at home right? And Lundqvist is not immune to a bad game.

Home team has won every game so far so of course the Rangers will win tomorrow. I normally just lol at some of your posts cause I know a lot of it is just to jinx them and have some fun with a sh!t situation but I think this series is over. The pens should take care of them but I hate them getting this far as it is. I don't have a great feeling about it either this year. 

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I'd take Boucher over Hynes any day.

Why not just re-hire lemaire at that point? Boucher's entire coaching style is predicated on the trap. Oops, im sorry, its only the trap if we do it. If its the rangers or senators its a 1-3-1

On 04/25/2017 at 10:56 PM, Daniel said:

Or that Bennett (one of the guys that was supposedly getting better) would be playing for us.  That he's not that good is not that unpredictable. 

I don't think it was actually unpredictable that they'd win the cup looking into last season from 2015. I don't understand how people were looking at a roster with Crosby, Malkin, and Letang and assuming they'd be trending down. They had plenty of young talent on top of that. They were hurt and poorly coached, but still a sleeping juggernaut. I think it's way more surprising Bennett ended up in Jersey and being really bad.