Fetisov wants to restrict young Russian players

MadDog2020

I mean, he works for the KHL, and it's in the KHL's interests that at least the best Russian players play for the KHL. I also suppose you could say he isn't being completely hypocritical, since he's saying that Russian players should be free to come over before the age that he did.

But ultimately, and especially because he's also a politician, he'd be better off -- not to mention Russia generally -- recognizing that more Russian players would elect to stay in the KHL without coercion if Russia was a better place to live than it currently is, and if the KHL could manage to get its financial house in order so that it doesn't make a guy like Jeff Vanderbeek, look like Warren Buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a very soviet-era style thing to contemplate, how do you pretend to be a free country (and at his point they are really only pretending) and then make it illegal to go to work somewhere else? How do you enforce that?

That's a very soviet-era style thing to contemplate, how do you pretend to be a free country (and at his point they are really only pretending) and then make it illegal to go to work somewhere else? How do you enforce that?

Duh, you build a wall around the country

Berlinermauer.jpg

I mean, he works for the KHL, and it's in the KHL's interests that at least the best Russian players play for the KHL. I also suppose you could say he isn't being completely hypocritical, since he's saying that Russian players should be free to come over before the age that he did.

But ultimately, and especially because he's also a politician, he'd be better off -- not to mention Russia generally -- recognizing that more Russian players would elect to stay in the KHL without coercion if Russia was a better place to live than it currently is, and if the KHL could manage to get its financial house in order so that it doesn't make a guy like Jeff Vanderbeek, look like Warren Buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Then, you do things to make them want to stay.  Whether it be tax breaks, housing allowances, etc.  When the Rangers drafted Cherepanov, he fell to them because 1) issues with the transfer agreement and 2) the KHL at the time was seen as a legitimate threat to the NHL.  I'd be willing to bet that if it actually worked out that way, Ovechkin would go back.  I think he would give his left nut and right lung to go back to play in Russia IF the league was stable.    

• 2 weeks later...

Then, you do things to make them want to stay.  Whether it be tax breaks, housing allowances, etc.  When the Rangers drafted Cherepanov, he fell to them because 1) issues with the transfer agreement and 2) the KHL at the time was seen as a legitimate threat to the NHL.  I'd be willing to bet that if it actually worked out that way, Ovechkin would go back.  I think he would give his left nut and right lung to go back to play in Russia IF the league was stable.    

I know this post is 2 weeks old but the KHL was never seen as a legitimate threat to the NHL.  The only thing they could match the NHL in is money.  They pay more.  The league has less prestige, travel is less luxurious and more arduous, they stay in worse hotels, the weather is much worse, medical treatment is worse, etc.  Now the problem with Russians in the late 2000s was that even if you lured one over here he could go back there, and so I imagine that was the concern.  But even when the KHL was at its peak, all the high drafted Russians came to North America eventually, they just didn't necessarily stay.

As for the KHL-NHL transfer agreement, it's sort of funny that now that the KHL is once again in the position of losing all its players for nothing, it now wants an agreement.

Edited by Triumph