Report: Sharks Name Pete DeBoer Head Coach

Beezer34

I think it's a good fit.  I think he was the best coaching option still available to SJ, I don't know much about Dave Lowry (only candidate without NHL experience that was rumored for the job) but the former NHL coaches being bandied about were guys like Carlyle, Oates, Blysma, and Kevin Dineen.  I prefered DeBoer pretty strongly to those guys (Blysma maybe ok).

I think it's a good fit. I think he was the best coaching option still available to SJ, I don't know much about Dave Lowry (only candidate without NHL experience that was rumored for the job) but the former NHL coaches being bandied about were guys like Carlyle, Oates, Blysma, and Kevin Dineen. I prefered DeBoer pretty strongly to those guys (Blysma maybe ok).

Hopefully Pete brings Oates with him, you can have Oates lol.

It seems the heat towards Deboer was the team not doing well over the last 3 seasons, but once everyone came around to the team sucking, it then became that he hindered young players development, which is questionable at best. Yes Larsson looked quite good when he was given a bigger role, but the natural progressions were going to come eventually. He was only 22 last year, and his 20:58 average ice-time was only 21 seconds more than his rookie season when Deboer through him in almost every role imaginable. Larsson was playing well before Deboer got fired, and the confidence continued in a bigger role.

As for wins and losses, I mean ownership or poor management really did not help him once the dust settled on the 2012 Playoffs. The Devils were fighting to get into the playoffs he following season with this roster down the stretch.

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Henrique-Loktionov-D'agostini

Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Ponikarovsky-Sestito-Kostopolous

Shocking that deadline acquisition Steve Sullivan couldn't save that offense.

Anywho, I think the Sharks are getting a good coach, and glad Deboer has some good players to work with. 

While I have no animosity towards DeBoer and I think he has some upside as a coach, I don't know how much of a good fit this is for him. The Sharks are the never achievers. While they have some strong talent that would fit on almost any team in the league, they also have a lot of crusty veterans that are beginning to eke into the downside of their careers. The Pacific is also not an easy division and will only get stronger if Edmonton can find some success. It really depends on how they retool their roster in the offseason as I wouldn't predict them to make the playoffs as it stands now.

I personally thought Edmonton or Buffalo was the best fit for Pete.

If he does bad, how long before they show him DeDoor?

I'd say 2 seasons is a feasible over-or-under. At that point it would be 9 seasons total as a Head Coach in the NHL, with only 1 playoff appearance. Not sure a 4th team would be willing to roll the dice after that.

So yes I guess the coach famous for late game chokes and collapses should coach the Sharks, one of the chokingest franchises in hockey

..there's just one problem for Pete. The Sharks only have 4 players over the age of 30. :P

I actually think he's a really solid coach, i always supported him when he was in NJ. 

The only gripes i really had with him both could have an explanation:

1.  The blown leads got a little ridiculous.  But with the team we put on the ice, we have to understand that we were an inferior team.. including a young defense

2.  It seemed that he refused to give the young guys the time they needed.  Larsson definitely deserved more TOI but with guys like Gelly that we complained about, it could be just due to that Debo saw something in him we didn't

He's a solid coach and you could definitely do worse than him.  Should be pretty decent in SJ

I agree, the blown leads were actually the worst thing in my eyes, however, the most maddening and frustrating thing, albeit a little more mundane, was the fact that he hardly ever showed any emotion.  I can't wait for Sharks fans to react to his incessant gum chewing and blank stare behind the bench every single game, night after night, win lose or draw.

DeBoer wasn't the reason for so many blown leads. Awful team defense toward the latter half of the 3rd period each game (because of our average forward age of 35+) was probably the reason we were gassed and unfocused late in the game and gave up goals.

Everyone from Jagr and Gomez to Zubrus and Havlat and Elias were unable to do their job the last 10 minutes of a game. Blown coverage, half-assed back-checking, definitely no forechecking. We gave teams every opportunity to come back at the end of games.

We're old.