John Hynes: New Devils Coach

mikepeluso8

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I could see John Hynes had two pretty subpar Penguin teams at 51.5% Ozone close the last two years. He has had a pretty subpar PP in the bottom 3rd of the AHL while his PK is middle of the pack. Lets hope assistants have a bigger say in special teams at the NHL level.

Merril is a pretty big dude

There is no way Merrill is 6`3 based on this photo.

I know right!  I understand it's not an exact science but I know that Zubrus has been listed at 6'5" and that photo does not correlate depending on the angle and such.  That all being said, I'm excited to see what Hynes can do.

EDIT:  Also, what is the Devils obsession with baldness in their coaches?

Edited by RizzMB30

I'm surprised anyone wants to coach this team.

So... Stupid.... A ..... Comment!

Go root for the Rangers!

Go root for the Rangers!

Why is that stupid, the nhl like all pro sports gives coaches short leashes. This team is looking at a multi year rebuild (at least 3 years before we are truly relevant maybe more depending on how we draft) who wants to come coach us and get fired in 2-3years for not making us a winner. Edited by Sneax

Why is that stupid, the nhl like all pro sports gives coaches short leashes. This team is looking at a multi year rebuild (at least 3 years before we are truly relevant maybe more depending on how we draft) who wants to come coach us and get fired in 2-3years for not making us a winner.

1) Obviously there were discussions about direction and short/long-term goals in the interview process. 

2) He's an AHL coach that got offered an NHL job. At the very least, he's making 5-6x more than he was in the AHL. That is enough to take any NHL job.

3) As many coaches have shown, be it Deboer, Todd Richards, Garard Gallant, you can still impress other GMs and set yourself up for future NHL jobs even after coaching crappy hockey teams that had little success. 

They broke up into smaller groups for more questions. Was really hoping to hear more on the live feed.

They broke up into smaller groups after 3 questions because there were no questions left! What a joke of a market.

They broke up into smaller groups after 3 questions because there were no questions left! What a joke of a market.

Well we do have just one committed writer [TG], the other is still mourning over his precious rangers being knocked out yet again [brooks], another is an idiot who might be in hiding for yet again being wrong [Chere], and the other doubles as a Flyers writer [Miller(?), if I'm thinking of the right guy], Todd Cordell is probably still in Canada writing another why Gelinas/Merill should/should not be traded, however he's feeling this week and whatever his click bait was last week.

The rest of the general NHL writers, Strang, et al, are in Tampa covering the Finals.

Well we do have just one committed writer [TG], the other is still mourning over his precious rangers being knocked out yet again [brooks], another is an idiot who might be in hiding for yet again being wrong [Chere], and the other doubles as a Flyers writer [Miller(?), if I'm thinking of the right guy], Todd Cordell is probably still in Canada writing another why Gelinas/Merill should/should not be traded, however he's feeling this week and whatever his click bait was last week.

The rest of the general NHL writers, Strang, et al, are in Tampa covering the Finals.

This made me laugh. Very true

Go root for the Rangers!

that was a joke genius.

You really burned me though. I will never recover.

Edited by NCDevsFan

When you put it that way, it was actually expert timing haha... Going into the season, no one will know anything about this guy or have any sort of expectations because no one was at the press conference lol

Sneaky, Shero...

Coach Hynes interviewed this morning on NHL/SportsNet HOCKEYCENTRAL, here's a excerpt:

Doug Mclean to Hynes, "John this team is gonna go through a bit of a transistion. Yah love their goaltending, taking a major step last year, young defensemen, some good solid veterans, but up front man, you've got some Slow, Slow, guys.(chuckles) I know you're a good coach, but you're not going to make them faster.(chuckles)... or do you say, 'Ray[sic], you've got to fix this man'."(chuckles)

Hynes, "I think we'll work in combination... I think, like you said, they have a good base core, fur sure. Like one of things as you know Doug, in coaching, one of the things you always have in the Devils organization is real character players. Uhhhhhhhhhh, we'll do the nesseccary things to win, I think we just want to continue to build that. Hopefully with some adjustments in play and the enviorment we create for the guys, some guys to energize and rejuvenate at times, hopefully we can find the right pieces to the puzzle and really work well as a group."

i have a sneaky feeling NJ is much better than people predict and make the playoffs.

I think it will all depend on what moves are made during the offseason but I think if the right moves are made that there will be potential for them

1) Obviously there were discussions about direction and short/long-term goals in the interview process. 

2) He's an AHL coach that got offered an NHL job. At the very least, he's making 5-6x more than he was in the AHL. That is enough to take any NHL job.

3) As many coaches have shown, be it Deboer, Todd Richards, Garard Gallant, you can still impress other GMs and set yourself up for future NHL jobs even after coaching crappy hockey teams that had little success.

Thank you for explaining it so I do not have to...

Unless you're such a proven megastar that you can write your own ticket (a la Babcock) you're really not going to turn down an NHL job period.  Especially a first-time NHL job...guys who haven't had NHL jobs really don't get the pick of the litter.

Edited by NJDevs26

Unless you're such a proven megastar that you can write your own ticket (a la Babcock) you're really not going to turn down an NHL job period. Especially a first-time NHL job...guys who haven't had NHL jobs really don't get the pick of the litter.

It's actually the perfect situation for a first time coach, if they suck, they are in a 3 year rebuild. If they exceed expectations, he can take the credit. When they have rebuilt, if he's been decent and a company man, maybe he gets extended.

Win-win.