How About Some Possible Trade Talk?

themightyall

A lot of people have been basing next year off of no changes on the team but one thing Shero is know for is his trades.  Obviously it's because the playoffs aren't over but there are a lot of things that change beyond free agency and the draft.  Trades are a big part too and there are plenty that are looking to sell.  It is definitely a buyer's market because of the cap situation.

The Predators (who Shero came from, albeit not with these trades) turned their franchise around with a young D and great goaltending largely because of two forwards they traded for - Forsberg and Neal - and bargain signings - Ribeiro, etc.  We can't expect two great trades right away, but it is proof that it does happen.

I feel like a little optimism should come from this board because it seems like everyone is pretty resigned to the rebuild.  Whether you are still wanting a rebuild or think they can turn it around, a trade can very well be in the works for Shero to start putting his stamp on the team.  Who do you want?  For what?  Anyone I'm missing?

Cap Hell:

LA Kings:

They are in cap trouble that can easily be avoided with buying out Richards after Voynov's situation is figured out, considering they have to re-sign Toffoli etc.  But maybe Richards is a reclamation project Shero is willing to try for the next five years because of our problems at center, maybe they find it better to trade a marketable player instead so they can get something back.

Boston Bruins:

This team is a mess when it comes to the cap.  They aren't re-signing Soderberg who may be an option for the Devils but the Bruins still may have to trade anyone from Lucic to Eriksson with the new GM in place since they have to sign Hamilton still, who could be around 6-7 million.

Chicago Blackhawks:

This is another mess of a cap situation with someone or more than one having to go.  It could be Sharp, Hossa, Saad, Shaw, Versteeg, Bickell, or others but it's likely going to be another 2010 situation for the Hawks. 

NY Rangers/Pitt. Penguins:

I doubt it but might as well since people have talked about Nash and Malkin.

Wild Card:

Det Red Wings:

They have a few RFAs and without Babcock, they may be looking to shake things up, no matter how unlikely.

Minn.  Wild:

They have to sign Granlund and Haula while still needing goaltending.  They aren't in cap hell but may be someone looking for a bit of a shakeup, albeit unlikely.

Ottawa Senators:

They have a lot of RFAs and are on an internal cap.  Stone, Chiasson, Condra, Pageau, Hoffman, Zidanejad are all up for contracts.  They can fill a middle 6 quite well.

Switching Things Up:

STL Blues:

Can we pry Oshie, Backes or someone random from their forwards since they can't seem to get out of the first round?

SJ Sharks:

They've been looking for a change for a couple of years now.  Maybe we go after the old guys in Thornton and Marleau or maybe some younger guys in Couture and Pavelski.  Somewhat unlikely since they were willing to hold onto everyone a full year after throwing them to the wolves, but they are still looking to change the makeup of their team.

Toronto Maple Leafs:

They were a mess for the past few years, but especially this year.  It seems like everyone on their roster is up for grabs, whatever they can get market value for.  That may have changed with Babcock, but it's definitely a team that is willing to make a trade.

Edm. Oilers:

A young forward team that we have been talking about for years.  It could be Eberle or even a younger guy, but they definitely need D which we have.

Single Players:

Colorado Avs:

This is purely for ROR.  A year in the system and likely us being able to pay him the most money regardless, it may be worth throwing some things the Avs way to get first dibs.

Carolina Hurricanes:

Semin may be a reclamation project but one that will be on the cheap and within possibly a timeframe for the rebuild with 3 years left.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you can really only be looking at cap teams that need to shed salaries for pics because the devils do not have assets beyond picks that would return any kind of upgrade. the only players that i think other teams would be interested in would be henrique, greene, larsson, merrill and severson. and the devils are so far away that dealing any of these guys would be at best a lateral move. furthermore, they are in no position to deal draft picks when their cupboard is so bare with prospects.

you want to look at a brian bickell for a 3rd & hrabranka or something like that? you want loui ericsson for a 2nd + merrill? i don't like either of those moves based on how much more the devils need. the absolute worst outcome for NJ is to be somewhere in that 12-16 range of teams. if they make moves that are short term to make a run at 7th or 8th in the conference, they will be doing themselves a great disservice. there just isn't enough to make this a quick rebuild.

i would deal merrill for a comparable forward. I would consider dealing a 3rd round pick for a salary dump that makes sense.

but that's about it.

oh, and god no to mike richards for anything other than a one year $1MM show me deal if he's bought out by LA.

The kinds of trades you want depends on what kind of team you want the Devils to be next season and in the future. Personally I'd rather they not trade anything valuable for players who would only help the team out for the next year or two. I don't mind just hanging onto what we have for the next season or two and horde assets. I don't think we're going to be very good anyway.

The kind of deals I want them to make involve youth or picks coming our way. At least for the next year or two.

The kinds of trades you want depends on what kind of team you want the Devils to be next season and in the future. Personally I'd rather they not trade anything valuable for players who would only help the team out for the next year or two. I don't mind just hanging onto what we have for the next season or two and horde assets. I don't think we're going to be very good anyway.

The kind of deals I want them to make involve youth or picks coming our way. At least for the next year or two.

I just rattled off 14 teams that could be looking to move players to improve their cap situation, which is an asset in itself.  You don't know what they want back.  The "assets in disguise" may be Ruutu and Zubrus that will be off the cap, just like the Hartnell/Umberger trade.  What sense did the Erat/Forsberg trade made?  Why not trade for some RFA on the Sens that want too much money?  They're young, Sens are restricted by an internal cap, and no one else may have the cap flexibility to give a decent trade.  There's so much to trades that anyone from a "sit and wait" like yourself can do.  Just like a buy now with Kessel (unrealistic) or a full rebuild with trading for Richards with assets might bring.  But I feel like Shero has to do something to make it his team.

I just rattled off 14 teams that could be looking to move players to improve their cap situation, which is an asset in itself.  You don't know what they want back.  The "assets in disguise" may be Ruutu and Zubrus that will be off the cap, just like the Hartnell/Umberger trade.  What sense did the Erat/Forsberg trade made?  Why not trade for some RFA on the Sens that want too much money?  They're young, Sens are restricted by an internal cap, and no one else may have the cap flexibility to give a decent trade.  There's so much to trades that anyone from a "sit and wait" like yourself can do.  Just like a buy now with Kessel (unrealistic) or a full rebuild with trading for Richards with assets might bring.  But I feel like Shero has to do something to make it his team.

I know it's a message board, and it's just for fun, but from a real GMs point of view you can't really count on a Erat/Forsberg (or Seguin) trade.  You can always look to identify opportunities like that and take your chances, but it can't really be part of the plan.  But to the extent we're talking about it, Grigorenko strikes me as the type of high upside player that his current team might have soured on.  The problem is that his current team has no use for aging forwards like Erat or Erickson. 

So, it's probably stupid (read: definitely stupid) but it's also the offseason and it's topical.

I have a LOT of lightning fans, and there is a weird consensus among them all: they wouldn't be shocked if Stamkos were traded after this season. With Johnson emerging as a superstar, and so many young and talented forwards, they feel like there's an off chance he's moved. According to them, there's been some chest puffing between he and management.

Let's just say for fun he's on the block. Is that the kind of player you sell everything for and rebuild around? If so, what gets it done? This year's 1st, next year's 1st, henrique and Gelinas?

And... discuss.

i cannot imagine this comes to pass but i don't think this ever happens because stamkos would not sign here long term anyway.

So, it's probably stupid (read: definitely stupid) but it's also the offseason and it's topical.

I have a LOT of lightning fans, and there is a weird consensus among them all: they wouldn't be shocked if Stamkos were traded after this season. With Johnson emerging as a superstar, and so many young and talented forwards, they feel like there's an off chance he's moved. According to them, there's been some chest puffing between he and management.

Let's just say for fun he's on the block. Is that the kind of player you sell everything for and rebuild around? If so, what gets it done? This year's 1st, next year's 1st, henrique and Gelinas?

And... discuss.

I suppose you meant Lightning friends? You have (let me put it very nicely) some friends with crazy imaginations. Has anything been reported between Stamkos and management or do your friends believe they have inside information?

As for your question...not really. I don't think you can rebuild around any one player in the NHL. Any team trying to get a player that good via trade, has to be expecting to win right away.

I recall seeing a PHT article about Stamkos and management having potential issues.

Yes, lightning fan friends. Ha. They are all relatively knowledgeable as far as hockey fans go. Have to ask them about their source... might just be speculation.

Edited by CarterforPresident

I suppose you meant Lightning friends? You have (let me put it very nicely) some friends with crazy imaginations. Has anything been reported between Stamkos and management or do your friends believe they have inside information?

As for your question...not really. I don't think you can rebuild around any one player in the NHL. Any team trying to get a player that good via trade, has to be expecting to win right away.

Its been mentioned in a few places but its nothing substantial and just jibber-jabber. The point that's basically being made is that he's going to cost close to/more than 10M per and that will put a big dent into Tampa's depth, which does make sense all considering.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/05/23/bruin-glen-murray-developing-reputation/8oSS5EhGSD4G6QoWZGhqLL/story.html

I don't think Stamkos is moved anytime soon. The big money kicks in after this next season and then maybe we'll see him moved or the talk will increase. Johnson and Palat are locked up for 2 more seasons and will still be RFAs. The big block will be Hedman who's up in 2 years. 

From TG:

"Shero huddled with Columbus GM Jarmo Kekalainen for an extended chat at the scouting combine Saturday. It is no secret that Kekalainen is in the market for a young defenseman, particularly with his team at risk of losing 2011 fourth-round pick Mike Reilly, who met with nine teams at the combine last week (the Devils were not among them).

Kekalainen said Saturday that he has been told his team is still in the mix to sign Reilly, who can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 if he doesn't sign with the Blue Jackets by June 15. If the Blue Jackets do lose Reilly to another team, Kekalainen might be more inclined to trade for a young defenseman or pick one with the eighth pick overall in this year's draft – or both."

Could be interesting. The article mentioned Kirby Rychel. I don't think columbus has anyone they would be willing to move off their current roster who would help this team.

If Lou was still calling the shots I would have money on Clarkson coming back the other way.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

I would suggest NOT making any moves until the end of camp, when teams are assessing their younger players to see if they are ready to move out the vet's. 

See how our kids are doing in camp and re-assess our needs, then play the market like the Islanders did last year with Boychuk and Leddy.

CBJ seem like a suitable trade partner for us, but really, all I am interested in having from CBJ are the following:

1.  Johanssen

2.  Wennberg

3.  Foligno

4.  Dubinsky

What is Dubinsky's cap hit?  Do you think CBJ would take on Zajac's salary for a straight up swap between Dubinsky and Zajac?

Johanssen and Wennberg are pipe dreams for us, so I doubt they're even in discussion.  Same goes for Foligno since he just re-signed with CBJ.

Dubinsky / Anisimov are probably the guys CBJ want to shop.

Edited by Mitico12

Mike Richards just isn't a fit here.  The Devils already have their own Mike Richards in Travis Zajac.  If they didn't have Zajac, they could go for it, but the idea of having 2 centers making $11M, most of it in dead space, is just awful.  I think LA will end up having to buy him out or else do something like trade him for Clarkson (or Horton).

CBJ seem like a suitable trade partner for us, but really, all I am interested in having from CBJ are the following:

1.  Johanssen

2.  Wennberg

3.  Foligno

4.  Dubinsky

What is Dubinsky's cap hit?  Do you think CBJ would take on Zajac's salary for a straight up swap between Dubinsky and Zajac?

Johanssen and Wennberg are pipe dreams for us, so I doubt they're even in discussion.  Same goes for Foligno since he just re-signed with CBJ.

Dubinsky / Anisimov are probably the guys CBJ want to shop.

Why would Columbus even consider getting rid of young, quality talent like this????    When they were healthy this line-up was almost unbeatable.   Columbus is one team standing pat, I don't think they have many cap issues since dealing Nash, Carter and Wisnewski.  

I am really holding out hope that ROR comes here after next year.  Sure it'll be market value but it'll be a better center than we can possibly get.  I'd just like to see one trade for a RW if Shero is thinking the same thing.  Our top 6 in 16/17 could be:

Cam-ROR-Trade

Rico-Zajac-Frolik/FA

From TG's post last night, it seems like Shero is having it well known throughout the organization that he is looking to make changes.  Henrique sounded like he was expecting trades.  It makes sense to start building now if there is a trade that's advantageous.

Mike Richards just isn't a fit here.  The Devils already have their own Mike Richards in Travis Zajac.  If they didn't have Zajac, they could go for it, but the idea of having 2 centers making $11M, most of it in dead space, is just awful.  I think LA will end up having to buy him out or else do something like trade him for Clarkson (or Horton).

I don't think so either even from the Kings side.  With how bad of a contract that is, the amount of assets they'd have to give up along with Richards would be far worse than just buying him out and swallowing their pride.

You want trade talk?

We apparently are the TOP DESTINATION (along with the Isles) for Kessel:

http://national.suntimes.com/nhl/7/72/1263077/maple-leafs-phil-kessel-trade-rumors

i just saw this as well... 9 out of 10 people do not want kessel here.. i certainly dont want that contract so if he does somehow end up here i hope they retain some of his salary which is not likely.. really hope they arent willing to give up our first round pick for him either we need someone young and fresh and i dont think we can really afford to part ways with that. Besides i dont know how much i really buy into some of those articles anyway most of them dont carry much weight

That article is like a bad game of telephone. The badness of Bleacher Report listing the Devils as 1 of 10 teams Kessel makes sense for, to a newspaper paring that same lost down to 1 of 5 possible places, and then here the Devils are a top destination. :lol:

By tomorrow I'll have people telling me they've read reputable rumors a deal is close at hand.