How About Some Possible Trade Talk?

themightyall

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol the article says at 27 he is just entering his prime...nope. he has peaked and will go downhill from here

Is only a 18 year old draft pick young enough for you?  Players are allowed to be under the age of 30 and still be in their prime, jeez. 

I don't put too much stock into this either but it would be a great to have an offensive threat again, depending on what we give up.  I don't love the contract and it annoys me when these teams sign guys to brand new deals only to want to trade them after a year (see Luongo, Thornton, Marleau, Carter, Richards, etc).  These teams will never win because they treat players as purely commodities.  How much would they be looking for?  1st in 2016, Merrill, Boucher, + how much more?

Is only a 18 year old draft pick young enough for you? Players are allowed to be under the age of 30 and still be in their prime, jeez.

I don't put too much stock into this either but it would be a great to have an offensive threat again, depending on what we give up. I don't love the contract and it annoys me when these teams sign guys to brand new deals only to want to trade them after a year (see Luongo, Thornton, Marleau, Carter, Richards, etc). These teams will never win because they treat players as purely commodities. How much would they be looking for? 1st in 2016, Merrill, Boucher, + how much more?

Wrong, I was pointing out that the article said ENTERING his prime at 27. Thats absolutely wrong. Is he im his prime? Yes, entering? No way in hell.

You might want to use other words than "will go downhill from here" if that's your intention; semantics matter.  He will be 34 when the contract ends so it's not like he's Hossa or anything.  The more I think about this deal, the more I like it.  I just don't think we can give up much more in prospects/picks for him other than what I already stated above.

Kessel on this team now is pointless as we don't have the other pieces to make him effective.

It would be like putting heated leather seats into a car that has no engine or a battery, and is missing a wheel.

Asthetically the car will look a bit better , but it's not going to go anywhere and nothing really works.

Kessel on this team now is pointless as we don't have the other pieces to make him effective.

It would be like putting heated leather seats into a car that has no engine or a battery, and is missing a wheel.

Asthetically the car will look a bit better , but it's not going to go anywhere and nothing really works.

Well you can't replace the engine and battery and wheel at the same time, sometimes you add one piece and then you add another, and another. 

Sometimes you can't afford all the pieces at once and the car sits in your driveway for a while.  But when you finally get that last piece, you are glad you bought the first piece when you did because you might not be able to find it later. 

if having Kessel on this team now is pointless, then i can use the same logic and say having Schneider on this team now is also pointless.

im not saying getting Kessel is all we have to do.  but if we can get him, and add another impactful foward or two, we could have something.

Well you can't replace the engine and battery and wheel at the same time, sometimes you add one piece and then you add another, and another.

Sometimes you can't afford all the pieces at once and the car sits in your driveway for a while. But when you finally get that last piece, you are glad you bought the first piece when you did because you might not be able to find it later.

Yeah but by the time you have got all those other pieces the seat has been sat there gathering dust, looks tatty but is a pain to get rid of because no one wants to buy it because it's used goods and beyond its best.

Also the to get the seat in the first place you had to give up a few other parts setting your completion date well back and costing you uneseccary cash.

if having Kessel on this team now is pointless, then i can use the same logic and say having Schneider on this team now is also pointless.

im not saying getting Kessel is all we have to do. but if we can get him, and add another impactful foward or two, we could have something.

I think if we end up with Kessel and can add one more top 6 forward somehow this will look like a completely different team and we will be back in the playoff race here. The problem is I wouldn't be willing to give up #6 for much of anything. We need that pick

If you add a Kessel, a Strome/Marner in the draft, and a Soderberg or something this year, then the team already looks drastically different.

its the potential return that may be required to land Kessel as the ONLY problem for me.  of course you don't wanna give up the #6 this year, or too much else

There is an argument to be made that that's the case with Schneider.  There are a few important differences though.  Schneider doesn't have nearly the mileage that Kessel does, and it's not unreasonable to believe that Schneider can continue to be a top five goalie for at least the next four years.  For all we know, Kessel could have a Rick Nash-like resurgence, but the odds say that he'll be a forward that doesn't score more than 20 goals a year in two or three years, and might possibly get to a level of being Mike Richards bad in the worst case scenario.

Also an elite goalie is something of a force multiplier.  So if the forwards improve enough (which is admittedly hard to define) and the young defensemen improve on a reasonable enough timeline, the Devils could have a season like Montreal with Carey Price did this year by the 2016-17 season. 

im not saying getting Kessel is all we have to do. but if we can get him, and add another impactful foward or two, we could have something.

It could easily be argued that it is slightly pointless at this juncture. He is coming into his prime on a team that stands very little chance of making the playoffs for the next three years.

However in case of goaltenders their peak tends to last a bit longer than forwards. Especially forwards like Kessel.

It could easily be argued that it is slightly pointless at this juncture. He is coming into his prime on a team that stands very little chance of making the playoffs for the next three years.

However in case of goaltenders their peak tends to last a bit longer than forwards. Especially forwards like Kessel.

forwards like Kessel?  i know he plays tough but if theres a typical kind of skater that lasts longer than the rest, its the sniper types.  you can diminish speed and agility but the shot is the last thing to go

interesting. i'd like to see it happen.

can't believe Gelly was even mentioned in that article.  Gelly and our 2nd? DONE. haha. but probably wont happen.

like the writer, im surprised to see an NHL insider mention the trade of Draisaitl for Larsson straight up

And especially with a goaltender like Schneider who doesn't have a lot of mileage on him at this point.

interesting. i'd like to see it happen.

can't believe Gelly was even mentioned in that article.  Gelly and our 2nd? DONE. haha. but probably wont happen.

like the writer, im surprised to see an NHL insider mention the trade of Draisaitl for Larsson straight up

There's a LOT of guys I would trade Gelinas and a 2nd for. 

What about next years 1st rounder and this years 2nd, and throw in two of Merril, Boucher, or Gelinas? Is that enough in you're opinions?  They probably want Henrique or Elias, but I wouldn't want to move either of them.  I mean I could be convinced to allow them to go, but I do think Elias will remain an effective player for his remaining years as a Devil.