2015 NHL Off-season Thread

Derlique

Would be a cataclysmic mistake for the Rangers to trade Talbot for McDavid. They can easily get McDavid and Yak, plus maybe a conditional 1st round pick?

Idk. I mean, honestly, backup goalies are worth a friggin fortune nowadays. Idk why people haven't considered Kinkaid for Taylor Hall and McDavid

We're joking. It's a moronic Rangers fan being an idiot.

Everything ok? PM me if it's personal[/quote

OK, I thought so, no problem, just heart issue.

Interesting article about Patrick Sharp's time in Chicago.

Thank You Patrick Sharp

Of more interest to us, though, is the (somewhat brief) explanation of how Chicago went from a perennial bottom feeder to quasi-dynasty.  This in in particular sounds familiar..

Three players on that 2005-06 Hawks team surpassed the 40-point plateau. That’s 40 points… not goals or assists. Points. In a full, 82-game NHL season. Calder’s 59 points led the team, as did his 26 goals. Only two Blackhawks players (Calder and Bell) reached the 20-goal benchmark that season as well.

Obviously, the Devils are in a different situation roster-wise.  But, they did have just two players surpass 40 points.. and only one guy net more than 20 goals.  It might not be crazy to suggest that the Devils were as bad last season as the 05-06 Hawks, at least offensively.

I'm clearly a bit bias here (I've made my pro-tank opinions known here), but it's hard to argue that the Hawks would be where they're at today if they hadn't bottomed out and drafted Toews 3rd O/A and Kane 1st O/A.  A team as bad and poorly equipped as the Devils needs to bottom-out, collect a few top-3 picks, and sprinkle in some additional pieces as needed, imo.

Tanking's a little different now than it was ten years ago with the lottery that will go into effect next year.  And it also helps just a little when you can get Hossa on a cap-busting contract and not get docked a first-rounder, or get Duncan Keith with a late second-rounder.  The Hawks wouldn't be anywhere without brilliant management either, they're able to shed guys like Byfuglien, Campbell, Niemi, etc and keep going...plus Quenneville who was always a top coach.  You can harp on bottom five picks all you want (and the Devils will have two recent top six picks in the organization now barring a nutty trade) but there's a lot more to winning than that.

And fwiw they by all rights should have had the fifth pick in 2007 but got lottery luck to get the top selection.

Edited by NJDevs26

With the exception of Bergland, the other will cost you a 1st rounder. For me I would consider Backes. Why he a big center, good leader etc. Oshie (fragile always hurts) and besides shootout greatness is blah. Bergland besides being big-blah.

I would pursue Backes if it's not a stupid price.

Devils and Blues probably aren't great trading partners. I assume STL want young-ish forwards on ELC/RFA deals, same as NJ.

it has come up about trading to get oshie here.. i would like to have oshie but we dont have anything to give them with in reason..

I'm not so sure they are looking for exactly what we want but they are looking for something we don't have.  If we want any of those guys, it's going to start with Henrique I'd imagine which is just not worth it to us.  We have to shop at the slightly damaged or irregular section at the trade market.

Why do people want Oshie so badly? I feel like he's the most overrated player in the league because of his Olympic shootout heroics.

Well, Oshie is a very good player, and I can't speak for everyone, but I doubt his shootout performance a the Olympics has anything to do with people wanting him. He'd immediately become the Devils best forward by a lot.

Don't see a trade that makes sense, but he's good and hardly overrated.

Why do people want Oshie so badly? I feel like he's the most overrated player in the league because of his Olympic shootout heroics.

how is he overrated? hes better than any player we have on this team right now. We need some young talent just not at the exspense of shelling out the little bit of young talent we currently have. Its going to be tough to acquire players without giving up our own assets

I'm not saying Oshie wouldn't be our best forward, but on /r/devils I have seen quite a few people suggesting we should trade #6 and Gelinas for Oshie and I nearly faint

certainly would not dump our #6 on him.. gelinas can go for a good handful of different players im not too high on him and we have a nice surplus of young D coming through. But im not willing to really move out the 6th pick for anyone realistic we need it.

Henrique is a glorified 3rd liner at this point. Id gladly include him in any package for any of the St Louis guys not named berglund.

henrique didnt have a great year last season but i think hes bound to bounce back this year. Rico is a top 6 guy man he better than the 3rd line. On a decent team he should be capable of 25goals.

Most of the teams on Kessel's list have little to no cap room and in addition we're not on his list.

have to wonder if he will even end up going to one of those teams on his "list" and for those reasons if those teams have salary issues and or cant come to an agreement with toronto ... who knows, he may be extending that list of his to go else where

have to wonder if he will even end up going to one of those teams on his "list" and for those reasons if those teams have salary issues and or cant come to an agreement with toronto ... who knows, he may be extending that list of his to go else where

He'll have to expand that list. It's public knowledge that MLeafs  don't want him round anymore. He needs to go somewhere where he can play without constant distraction as well. I think it'll be torture for him to stay in To. 

I just have a feeling Phil the Thrill ends up in Philly on a line with Giroux.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't know. They're not buying out Lecavelier (GM said it), which is step 1 in how they would be able to fit Phil onto their team.

Is anyone else just sick to death of speculating about this sh!t? Thank God it's finally draft week. I don't know how much more speculation I can deal with about our picks/offseason plan. It feels like we've been discussing the same sh!t ad infinitum for an eternity...

Is anyone else just sick to death of speculating about this sh!t? Thank God it's finally draft week. I don't know how much more speculation I can deal with about our picks/offseason plan. It feels like we've been discussing the same sh!t ad infinitum for an eternity...

Amen.  Been sick of it for weeks already.  This and line combo speculation makes me want to fall asleep.

Amen. Been sick of it for weeks already. This and line combo speculation makes me want to fall asleep.

I'm hoping there will be some action leading into the draft this week so we can talk about ACTUAL transactions... Not counting on much though. At least I won't have to read any more speculation about who we pick at 6 after this week... That's been beaten into the ground so much, you can see China.

I'm hoping there will be some action leading into the draft this week so we can talk about ACTUAL transactions... Not counting on much though. At least I won't have to read any more speculation about who we pick at 6 after this week... That's been beaten into the ground so much, you can see China.

I have a feeling it will be followed by lots of complaining and moaning about who we didn't pick.  That almost always happens.