2015 NHL Off-season Thread

Derlique

Tarasenko 8 years $60 mil with the Blues. Done.

Jeremy Rutherford ‏@jprutherford:

BREAKING: Tarasenko agrees to eight-year, $60 million contract with #stlblues. The AAV is $7.5 million.

Well then...

Obviously we never stood a chance, nor would we offer that kinda deal, nor would the Blues let him get away, but damn

We'll lose roughly half the season again.  The owners have every reason to lock out the players that long again to gain concessions.  The fans come back almost immediately anyway and they get the playoff revenue they covet.

I hate the truth to this post...

We'll lose roughly half the season again. The owners have every reason to lock out the players that long again to gain concessions. The fans come back almost immediately anyway and the owners get the playoff revenue they covet.

It's a total joke, but it's mostly our own faults. We always come running back like the sheep we are, and both sides know it. There will undoubtedly be the same lame-ass mudslinging from players towards owners on social media, players tweeting stupid sh!t that shows how far outside of reality they actually reside... And the same arguments among the fans about whatever dumbass issues the two sides are arguing over, along with the faction of fans that claims they'll 'never go to or watch another game again' (even though they're full of sh!t and they know it, along with everyone else). I mean, I'm counting the years down man. Can't fvcking wait. [emoji57] Edited by MadDog2020

We'll lose roughly half the season again. The owners have every reason to lock out the players that long again to gain concessions. The fans come back almost immediately anyway and the owners get the playoff revenue they covet.

I try to spin it into a positive. I save a ton of money missing preseason games and half the regular season plus gas and tolls for that entire time.

I try to spin it into a positive. I save a ton of money missing preseason games and half the regular season plus gas and tolls for that entire time.

Honestly the lockout trend in the NBA and NHL is as big an indictment you can find that both sport's seasons are too long.  NBA especially but the NHL season should be 70 games, probably.

Honestly the lockout trend in the NBA and NHL is as big an indictment you can find that both sport's seasons are too long.  NBA especially but the NHL season should be 70 games, probably.

I completely agree.  It only hurts the owners to shorten the season.  No other hockey league in the world plays that many games and even if the NHL played 75 like the AHL, no one will be able to really notice the difference, unless you're an owner trying to squeeze more from ticket sales.

Yup, agree 100%. 70 games, 3 points for wins, 1 point for SO loss.

Edited by DJ Eco

https://twitter.com/DallasStars/status/619672493532381184

Dallas traded for Patrick Sharp and Steven Johns from Hawksin exchange for Ryan Garbutt and Trevor Daley

Hmm.  Not sure how I feel about that,  Trevor Daley is a big pick-up for Chicago and keeping their defense Stanley Cup caliber; losing Oduya, but gaining Daley is big.  Chicago getting cap space and simply breaking even here.  This isn't a "move-forward" move.

Edited by RizzMB30

Not sure where to post this, but I just read this really exciting piece on Merril.  If you had any doubts about Merril's play this past season, this article points out how much of an essential role that Merril and possibly Severson will play in this next season if we want to be competitive.  Merril is a great passer, drives the play, and does a good job of taking care of the puck.  

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2015/7/6/8858899/passing-wowys-nj-devils-defense-pairings

Edited by RizzMB30

Not sure where to post this, but I just read this really exciting piece on Merril. If I had any doubts about Merril's play this past season, this article points out how much of an essential role that Merril and possibly Severson will play in this next season if we want to be competitive. Merril is a great passer, drives the play, and does a good job of taking care of the puck.

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2015/7/6/8858899/passing-wowys-nj-devils-defense-pairings

You had doubts after watching him play, but you changed your mind based on an article?

For me, he has to prove himself and this is the year for him to step up and do that.

An interesting tidbit on NHL Radio from Matt Barnaby I think that hasn't been picked up at all, that Boston was shopping Rask, and had a deal in principle in place for a good young forward that had injury issues and hadn't quite put it together yet, but that Boston nixed it after the overwhelming negative reaction to the Lucic and Hamilton trades and the players that Boston picked. My guess is that the player involved was either RNH or Hall, or possibly Coutre or Hertl.

It's interesting also in that it would probably be a decent proxy for what Schneider would bring back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You had doubts after watching him play, but you changed your mind based on an article?

For me, he has to prove himself and this is the year for him to step up and do that.

I meant to say "If you had any doubts", not if "I" had any.  I definitely believe that of our U-24 Dmen, Merril is not one to trade, especially at this current time.  

Amended on the original post.

Edited by RizzMB30

I'll just assume you didn't even bother reading the article.

No I read it. My comment was on his comment regarding the article. He explained what he meant and now it makes more sense.

And you KNOW what they say about people who assume...

I meant to say "If you had any doubts", not if "I" had any. I definitely believe that of our U-24 Dmen, Merril is not one to trade, especially at this current time.

Amended on the original post.

Agreed on that. Merrill and Severson both IMHO.

Not sure where to post this, but I just read this really exciting piece on Merril.  If you had any doubts about Merril's play this past season, this article points out how much of an essential role that Merril and possibly Severson will play in this next season if we want to be competitive.  Merril is a great passer, drives the play, and does a good job of taking care of the puck.  

I'm a Merrill fan, I agree with some other people here that he should not be the one to go. If he even comes close again to the way he played two seasons ago, we have a very good young defenseman on our hands. During 2013-2014, he was playing with every bit of skill, maturity, and vision as Adam Larsson did this year post-December. 

I see people who are insisting "trade Merrill!!!" the way I saw people who were insisting "trade Larsson!!!" this time last year (and beyond). He won't yield much of a return right now, until he regains his form from a year or two ago; and once he regains his form from a year or two ago, he'll be much more valuable than his return. Just keep him, I think he'll be our next Andy Greene.