2015 NHL Off-season Thread

Derlique

I see Larsson getting a 3-year deal sort of like the similar deals Paul Martin and Zach Parise got a few years ago coming off RFA.

I thought his agent said it's either going to be a long-term one (a deal that brings him past UFA age) or a 2 year bridge.

No way. 2012 team was really good. A younger patrik elias a great player in xach parise ( wild didnt miss the playoffs since he is there...) Ilya Kovalchuk was one o the top 5 player in the world that years. Dont forget how good 2012 team was.

That sounds great compared to the mess we had this past season, but that team still isn't better than this year's Rangers, Ducks, Blackhawks, or Lightning; or every team really since then (that year's Kings included). DeBoer really got the most and coached the hell out of an "okay/good" roster.

Salvador got 14 points. Some of our biggest moments were from a 4th line composed of Ryan Carter, Stephen Gionta, and Steve Bernier. Zubrus finished with 10 points in 24 games. Ponikarovsky, Sykora, even Peter Harrold played 17 of the 24 games. Andy Greene only finished with a point (1 assist). Henrique came out of no where and played like an animal.

C'mon, that's not a "great" team. That's an okay team, at best. Peter DeBoer and the coaching staff did a tremendous job coaching that team to the Finals and to within 2 wins of a Cup. And then every card DeBoer was dealt by Lou and management after that was complete dogsh!t. 

He is going to do very well in San Jose. Or really most places he ends up going in the future. Very few teams he ends up at will be worse-constructed than the 2013-2015 New Jersey Devils.

Edited by DJ Eco

Two years $7.5 M that's a terrific deal for Dallas IMO He's 33.

Dallas has done a nice job this offseason fixing their problems; Defense/Goaltending

They should be quite the contender this season with their #1 speed offense now with Chicago Cup experienced players

Wow. Kesler makes the Zajac contract look like a bargain

I've always really thought what zaka gets paid isn't so terrible for the player he is.. he isn't paid like a 1st line Center that's jist how we happen to have him slotted in because we don't currently have one.

No NHL contract has done that yet.

Kesler hasnt hit 50 points in 3 years, despite playing on beastly power plays with guys like the Sedins, Edler, Perry, Getzlaf, Vatanen, Fowler, etc. There is also a myth that he is good at defense. The Zajac deal is god awful but Kesler's is otherworldly bad

I've always really thought what zaka gets paid isn't so terrible for the player he is.. 

I agree, and furthermore, I always thought Zajac's contract wasn't bad in the context of what most of the contracts the year later (and beyond) were going to end up as. And now with this, we have our benchmark. 

I'm glad this contract makes people feel better about Zajac and his abject failure to produce. His contract still stinks and we aren't getting value for it no matter what anyone else gets paid. I would have preferred giving that deal to Clarkson, at least our water bottles would be safe.

I'm glad this contract makes people feel better about Zajac and his abject failure to produce. His contract still stinks and we aren't getting value for it no matter what anyone else gets paid. I would have preferred giving that deal to Clarkson, at least our water bottles would be safe.

The Devils easily could be the worst team in the NHL this year without Zajac. His offensive game is brutal, but he still has a ton of value. Not sure people realize how much better the Jagr line was in 13-14 because of Zajac even if the points never came from him. He made Jagr's job so much easier.

If you look at points, and that's not totally wrong to do that, it's pretty bad, but if you watch him play in all three zones, he makes so many good reads and decisions. He makes the Devils better.

As far as the deal being awful, it's irrelevant. 100% does not matter if the Devils got him for $4 million or $5 million a year. The Devils didn't fail to sign anyone because of his contract. They are not going to have trouble signing anyone in the future because of his contract, and he isn't blocking anyone better by being here. The Devils have absolutely zero depth at center.

The Devils easily could be the worst team in the NHL this year without Zajac. His offensive game is brutal, but he still has a ton of value. Not sure people realize how much better the Jagr line was in 13-14 because of Zajac even if the points never came from him. He made Jagr's job so much easier.

If you look at points, and that's not totally wrong to do that, it's pretty bad, but if you watch him play in all three zones, he makes so many good reads and decisions. He makes the Devils better.

As far as the deal being awful, it's irrelevant. 100% does not matter if the Devils got him for $4 million or $5 million a year. The Devils didn't fail to sign anyone because of his contract. They are not going to have trouble signing anyone in the future because of his contract, and he isn't blocking anyone better by being here. The Devils have absolutely zero depth at center.

Rabble rabble, Zajac sucks, he's not worth the money, rabble rabble!

Zajac is the difference between us being the worst team in the league and not? If you believe that you could say the same thing about at least 10 guys on the team. 

Furthermore, even if one accepts your proposition, that means that the only thing keeping us from having the best possible chance at the #1 pick next year is Zajac. That makes it an even worse deal!

Zajac is the difference between us being the worst team in the league and not? If you believe that you could say the same thing about at least 10 guys on the team. 

Furthermore, even if one accepts your proposition, that means that the only thing keeping us from having the best possible chance at the #1 pick next year is Zajac. That makes it an even worse deal!

Well, I'm rephrase, if Zajac got injured, and the Devils replaced him with only internal candidates, they could be as bad as any team out there. That is not a massive compliment to Travis but rather an indication of how bad the center depth is on this team.

I'd say that about Schneider as well. Not sure anyone else. 

Zajac is a massive disappointment because he isn't a  very good offensive player. Right now it looks like he is a pretty bad one, but having said that, over the last few years...more good things happen than bad ones when he is on the ice, and pretty much everyone he plays with is better with him than without him.

Edited by devilsrule33

Well, I'm rephrase, if Zajac got injured, and the Devils replaced him with only internal candidates, they could be as bad as any team out there. That is not a massive compliment to Travis but rather an indication of how bad the center depth is on this team.

I'd say that about Schneider as well. Not sure anyone else. 

Zajac is a massive disappointment because he isn't a  very good offensive player. Right now it looks like he is a pretty bad one, but having said that, over the last few years...more good things happen than bad ones when he is on the ice, and pretty much everyone he plays with is better with him than without him.

Zajac by himself has been a disappointment offensively. With weak wings also a disappointment but with good to great wings that disappointment goes away. Regardless of any of the situations as a team the Devils are worse without him on the ice.

• Like 1