2015 NHL Off-season Thread

Derlique

Watch a highlight tape of Lundqvist's great saves. Most wouldn't exist if he eats the first shot. Now he does a good job of getting the rebounds most of the time, but save % penalizes a goalie with excellent rebound control.

I'm not going to watch highlights - I'm going to just tell you that Lundqvist saves a higher percentage of first shots than he does rebounds.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/introducing-the-shot-quality-project-part-ii/

This article acknowledges sample-size issues, but here, rebounds are saved 76% of the time.  Let's imagine that the true percentage could be +/-4% on these numbers.  Do you know how amazing Lundqvist would have to be on rebounds to make himself look better on them?  

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 1

I'm not going to watch highlights - I'm going to just tell you that Lundqvist saves a higher percentage of first shots than he does rebounds.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/introducing-the-shot-quality-project-part-ii/

This article acknowledges sample-size issues, but here, rebounds are saved 76% of the time. Let's imagine that the true percentage could be +/-4% on these numbers. Do you know how amazing Lundqvist would have to be on rebounds to make himself look better on them?

No kidding he saves more of the first shots than rebounds. Lundqvist is a good goalie. But he creates more work for himself than needed with shoddy rebound control. Whether it's shot rebound shot, or his flat out inability to squeeze his glove shut, he keeps plays alive for the opposition thus adding to his shots faced.

No kidding he saves more of the first shots than rebounds. Lundqvist is a good goalie. But he creates more work for himself than needed with shoddy rebound control. Whether it's shot rebound shot, or his flat out inability to squeeze his glove shut, he keeps plays alive for the opposition thus adding to his shots faced.

Those extra shots faced go in at a way higher percentage than a normal shot, so if he's doing that, he should be worse than average - instead he's way better.

Devils Summer Ice is back!

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=771436&navid=DL|NJD|home

July 1st @ 10pm: Jan. 6th win over Buffalo (Elias 600th goal, 1,000th point)

July 22nd @ 10pm: Mar. 8th win over Philly (1995 celebration game)

August 19th @ TBD: Apr. 3rd win over Montreal (KK makes 31 saves)

I think you meant 600th assist and 1000th point.

I actually missed the pre-game presentation of the 95 celebration game.  Would be interested to watch that.

Devils Summer Ice is back!

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=771436&navid=DL|NJD|home

July 1st @ 10pm: Jan. 6th win over Buffalo (Elias 600th goal, 1,000th point)

July 22nd @ 10pm: Mar. 8th win over Philly (1995 celebration game)

August 19th @ TBD: Apr. 3rd win over Montreal (KK makes 31 saves)

Hah. I was at the April 3 game in free club seats. Fun night.

edmonton would be getting a steal trading their first for talbot..are you kidding who wouldn't do that if you're edmonton!

edmonton would be getting a steal trading their first for talbot..are you kidding who wouldn't do that if you're edmonton!

I am in the hospital, so I am sort of out of it, but are we saying McDavid for Talbot is a no brainer? Is that based on Edmonton's needs, or just straight up?