2015 NHL Off-season Thread

Derlique

Every year they say the draft is an eventful day but I always seem to come back disappointed.  Not about who we pick, but about how many transactions occurred.  Remember last year when Thronton and Marleau were supposed to be traded?  No matter how many transactions happen, it seems like the speculation always leaves what actually happens to be disappointing.  I guess it's just that every trade that happens, 20 fall through.

As a side note, I recall insiders saying that the cap would be set hopefully before the draft or very soon after.  Have they said anything new about this?

Every year they say the draft is an eventful day but I always seem to come back disappointed. Not about who we pick, but about how many transactions occurred. Remember last year when Thronton and Marleau were supposed to be traded? No matter how many transactions happen, it seems like the speculation always leaves what actually happens to be disappointing. I guess it's just that every trade that happens, 20 fall through.

As a side note, I recall insiders saying that the cap would be set hopefully before the draft or very soon after. Have they said anything new about this?

Agreed, I had the same thought and was actually gonna post that next lol. Every year we think with all the buzz leading up to the draft that there's gonna be a huge flurry of trades, and there almost never is. Sure, you'll get the occasional blockbuster, like the Kesler deal last year... But I'm usually disappointed in the amount of movement at the draft. This year will probably be no different.

It's like the trade deadline - if you get swept up in the media hype, most years you will be disappointed because all of the big predicted moves never all happen, and since the media have gotten good at covering it, there's rarely any huge surprises either.  Regardless, there'll still be a few trades and some years there's lots of movement up and down.  I don't expect this to be one of those years.

It's like the trade deadline - if you get swept up in the media hype, most years you will be disappointed because all of the big predicted moves never all happen, and since the media have gotten good at covering it, there's rarely any huge surprises either.  Regardless, there'll still be a few trades and some years there's lots of movement up and down.  I don't expect this to be one of those years.

I agree.. with the exception of last years trade deadline, which was pretty wild.  you gotta give credit there, it was pretty exciting

I agree.. with the exception of last years trade deadline, which was pretty wild.  you gotta give credit there, it was pretty exciting

EDIT: or am i thinking of the 1st day of FA? yea actually thats what i meant

Guys in play supposedly based on NHL radio:

Kessel

Sharp

Oshie

Okposo

Perron

I can't see the Devils getting involved unless it's pure salary dumps. I mean, I suppose Shero could see himself as Garth Snow and deal picks for any of these guys because he's got Cap Space that nobody else has but unless it's for multiple guys (like how NYI got Leddy AND Boychuk) I'm not interested.

Kessel

Sharp

Oshie

Okposo

Perron

I can't see the Devils getting involved unless it's pure salary dumps. I mean, I suppose Shero could see himself as Garth Snow and deal picks for any of these guys because he's got Cap Space that nobody else has but unless it's for multiple guys (like how NYI got Leddy AND Boychuk) I'm not interested.

Wow...didnt know Okposo is already 27. I wouldve guessed 25 or so

Kessel

Sharp

Oshie

Okposo

Perron

Not interested in anyone on this list really. These are all guys teams in 'win now' mode should be trying to acquire. Edited by MadDog2020

Kessel

Sharp

Oshie

Okposo

Perron

I hope Shero doesn't pay anything more than a 2nd round and a prospect for anyone.  This team doesn't have that much to give up.  The only players that can fill top 6 roles even hypothetically are Zajac, Cam, Rico, and Elias.  We shouldn't be getting rid of these guys to get one player that will fill a top 6 role.

I really wish these insiders would at least hint at what the team would be expecting in return for their players.  I know that would put a kibosh on 99% of the readers but I'm the 1% that would enjoy at least seeing the asking price.

I hope Shero doesn't pay anything more than a 2nd round and a prospect for anyone.  This team doesn't have that much to give up.  The only players that can fill top 6 roles even hypothetically are Zajac, Cam, Rico, and Elias.  We shouldn't be getting rid of these guys to get one player that will fill a top 6 role.

I really wish these insiders would at least hint at what the team would be expecting in return for their players.  I know that would put a kibosh on 99% of the readers but I'm the 1% that would enjoy at least seeing the asking price.

Chicago pretty much wants a crack-head pipe dream for Sharp, so I agree, stay the hell away from there.

A little surprised Perron's time in Pitt might already be done. If we could get him and Oshie, might be a good combo since they had moderate success in STL before Perron was banished to Edmonton.

Chicago pretty much wants a crack-head pipe dream for Sharp, so I agree, stay the hell away from there.

A little surprised Perron's time in Pitt might already be done. If we could get him and Oshie, might be a good combo since they had moderate success in STL before Perron was banished to Edmonton.

Hey speaking of crackheads and pipes, Jarertt Stoll was officially charged with cocaine possession today. c49280ac31d67a9dd9d481cc810ef572.jpg

I would trade Zajac in a heartbeat for a legit top 6 forward, I would do the same with Elias, except I am personally invested and I want him to retire a Devil.

Cammalleri and Henrique, well, depends what you're offering me.

I would trade Zajac in a heartbeat for a legit top 6 forward, I would do the same with Elias, except I am personally invested and I want him to retire a Devil.

Cammalleri and Henrique, well, depends what you're offering me.

I meant more that we should be trading the myriad of spare parts we have for more.  Zajac and something for something better would be great, but it still leaves us with 4 players that could possibly play top 6 minutes.  We aren't going to really find someone in free agency and any player we draft likely won't just be given those minutes right off the bat, so I think we'd have to trade for a relevant scorer that has fallen from grace.  I really liked the trade someone said of Lindholm and Semin for something substantial.  That's our top two RWs right there.

Elias just seems like an obvious trade deadline move, assuming the Devils miss the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If we get a 2nd rounder for him I would be thrilled.

Elias is my all-time favorite Devil and possibly seeing him in another uniform kills me, but this is the nature of sports.

If we get a 2nd rounder for him I would be thrilled.

Elias is my all-time favorite Devil and possibly seeing him in another uniform kills me, but this is the nature of sports.

Elias isn't my all-time favorite (MacLean is), but he's obviously up there on my list (duh).  That being said, he's played 1224 regular season games as a Devil.  Good for 15th all-time on the list of games played for a particular team.  Can't say that I'll be heartbroken if he goes and plays for someone else at this point.  He doesn't owe us anything more, and if the Devils can get something back for him, who could possibly blame them? 

Elias isn't my all-time favorite (MacLean is), but he's obviously up there on my list (duh).  That being said, he's played 1224 regular season games as a Devil.  Good for 15th all-time on the list of games played for a particular team.  Can't say that I'll be heartbroken if he goes and plays for someone else at this point.  He doesn't owe us anything more, and if the Devils can get something back for him, who could possibly blame them? 

Oh no matter what I won't blame him or the Devils.  1,200+ games in a Devils uniform spanning 17-18 years is a ton of hockey.  That and we got his best years out of him.  It is always special to see a player like him retire with only 1 uniform to his name, but in modern sports that is damn near impossible to do.  It was awkward to see Marty's retirement press conference with former Blues greats instead of Devils greats, but it is what it is.  Plus he will get his Devils send off at his retirement night later this season anyways, so I guess that press conference will soon be just a footnote.

After watching Marty retire in a Blues sweater, I've lost all interest in / care for the whole "players playing for one team for their whole career".

If Elias OK's the move, and the Devils can acquire some sort of asset for him.. I'm all for it.  No bitterness or resentment, it's just.. hockey's a business.

I want Elias finishing his career here. Period. If he wants to leave at the deadline, that's on him and I wouldn't blame him. But Patty is my favorite Devil of all time (along with Stevens), and I have no desire to see him wear any other jersey but ours. If he asks for a trade, then fine. But I'm not moving him unless HE wants to go.

I want Elias finishing his career here. Period. If he wants to leave at the deadline, that's on him and I wouldn't blame him. But Patty is my favorite Devil of all time (along with Stevens), and I have no desire to see him wear any other jersey but ours. If he asks for a trade, then fine. But I'm not moving him unless HE wants to go.

Agree 100% with everything (Elias and Stevens my all time favorites). I want Patty to retire a Devil and retire #26. Hopefully, he announced this will be his last season and becomes a scout in the Czech Republic