Devils Prospects Camp: July 13-18

Derlique

If you had the mistaken belief that Scott Wedgewood can play in the NHL and not be an embarrassment, you would do this.

You're right. Didn't think about the possibility of injury. I would really like for us to sign Appleby. It would be a solid signing, and boost our goalie pool towards the top of the league, in my opinion. I guess he could play in ECHL if we sign him, or best case scenario, he takes the Albany job and Wedgewood would be an ECHL starter, where he belongs.

Wouldn't be bad to have Kinkaid, Blackwood, and Appleby all behind Schneider. With seeing the hauls commanded for backups with starter potential like Jones, Lehner and Talbot, it's not an awful idea to keep some assets in the pipeline.

Edited by Jerseydevils0324

If you had the mistaken belief that Scott Wedgewood can play in the NHL and not be an embarrassment, you would do this.

Poor wedge. His ex girlfriend used to buy weed from an old roommate of mine. He's awful. Edited by thecoffeecake

Couple questions - where is Matteau and Ben Johnson?  I agree that Severson shouldn't have to go to this but whatever, as long as he doesn't get hurt it shouldn't be an issue.

I guess Matteau isn't under contract yet, but I think he's still eligible to go to this - could be wrong on that

Edited by Triumph

Couple questions - where is Matteau and Ben Johnson? I agree that Severson shouldn't have to go to this but whatever, as long as he doesn't get hurt it shouldn't be an issue.

I guess Matteau isn't under contract yet, but I think he's still eligible to go to this - could be wrong on that

Don't think it matters whether Severson goes, I just thought established NHLers don't get invited, just because.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple questions - where is Matteau and Ben Johnson?  I agree that Severson shouldn't have to go to this but whatever, as long as he doesn't get hurt it shouldn't be an issue.

I don't think Matteau is eligible. 

Interested in seeing Kalinin and Mozik. 

TG cleared it up saying that players on ELCs or who are otherwise unsigned were eligible to attend. Matteau's ELC is up, therefore no invite.

Ben Johnson not attending due to "personal reasons."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was lurking around HF Boards, which I don't usually do, and saw a couple pretty detailed comments about the 3v3 today scrimmage. Figured I'd quote them on here for people looking for a little more insight on who did what, as it doesn't sound like many people here could make it...

Devil XMy take: 

Black Team:
Blackwood was clearly the best goalie on the ice. It was not even close, he takes up so much of the net, is flexible and maybe some glove saves. 

Severson was normal Severson you could see he was the "vet" if you will.

Tyler Kelleher, Darcy Murphy, and Alexandre Goulet (all tryouts) were the black teams offense. Kelleher has great hands he was dangling around Dman and goalies all day. At one point he made a really nice move around a Dman and put it top shelf short side. Was impressed, but have no idea who he is lol. He also has a lot of speed. All 3 of these guys did. 

The rest on black were ok, Kalinin had at least 1 goal i noticed him more then most. Fitzgerald got 2 in the champion ship but they both were off great passes from Kelleher. Jacobs had a goal in the championship but other then that didnt really stick out. 

Red Team:
At times Brodeur looked like a dead fish all over the ice. But over all not too bad i guess. He got ripped apart by the black team in the Championship. I also think he might have got hurt during that game. He came up slow after trying to stop a goal on a pass across the crease and was flexing his right leg. 

Coleman was physical all day, he wasnt afraid to hit some of these guys. 

Colton White had a nice pass across the crease to get a assist on a goal, you can see he has some talent for sure. 

Pavel Zacha did well he has great acceleration, it seems like he is coasting and then move fast within a step or to. He also has a quick release and hard shot. He looked like he was a little shy with the physical part of his game he would slow up before hitting guys or stop. He got batter as it went. They switched every 30 seconds you could see a couple times it looked like he was getting into it or carrying the puck with a lot of room but had to switch. 

Blandisi and Speers looked really good i felt. Blandisi had a nice little break away he went 5-hole on Blackwood and had some other chances. Speers has a very nice hard shot, i was impressed by his offense. 

Sweeney is huge and seemed to have a very hard shot. 

Rest were not to noticeable. 

White Team: 
Boucher was underwhelming to me. For a guy that had NHL time and AHL time i felt i should have noticed him more and i didnt. He was physical, he has a couple nice passes but i dont recall him shooting at all. 

Miles Wood, Wood was impressive to me. First i think he is bigger then he is listed, he was physical, had a couple of very nice shots, got a goal or 2. ALso had a really nice assist i believe. He was far and away the best player on the White team. No one else really stuck out like him today. 

Gray Team:
Appleby wasnt all that impressive today. Made some nice saves but i expected more going into it. 

Scarlett had a nice penally shot goal, other then that not much else. 

Kujawinski had some nice plays and a really nice defensive play to stop a goal. He was pretty physical all day also. 

Dudek has a nice shot with accuracy had a top shelf goal that was pretty. 

Chatham and Boddock did well, Baddock has more offense then i realized. He was playing good has a hard shot. Both were very physical.

Overall it was a good event. Lou was sitting with the fans, Shero was there also. White was signing things for people, Dyno was wondering around taking photos with people. Hynes spot to the crowd before the games started. They did a nice job with it and it was fun to watch. They had food and things for sale. Also a nice added touch, all the fans that were given black wrist bands got 2 freeticketsicon1.png to a Devils game in October because the Black team won. 

Hockey wise the 3 unknown forwards clearly were the best on the ice (Kelleher, Murphy, Goulet). Blackwood looks like he will be a great pick he was solid all day and made some impressive saves. 

Zacha i saw flashes from and i think when we get into a normal hockey game (Saturday) he will shot it more. 

Any questions let me know, thats just my take on the eventicon1.png.

ForeverJerseyGirlMy fiancé and I enjoyed the eventicon1.png. It was great to see how many other fans were there. Now, some quick thoughts:

Black Teamicon1.png:
-Blackwood showed his flexibility and had some nice glove saves. 
-Severson was Severson, so basically great to watch. 
-Kelleher has nice hands and good speed. I didn’t know who he was before today, but he caught my eye this morning. 
-Kalinin scored and played pretty well all-around. 
-Jacobs had a goalicon1.png, but other than that didn’t stand out, although that can be good for a defenseman. 

Red Team:
-Brodeur isn’t going to be challenging any of his old man’s recordsicon1.png any time soon, but I think we all know that. 
-Coleman had no qualms about playing physical. 
-Colton White showed some nice vision and puck-moving skills on an assist. 
-Zacha has great speed and acceleration, and a quick release and hard shot. 
-Blandisi scored five-hole on Blackwood on a breakaway and looked good overall.
-Speers has a harder shot than I thought. Cool to see. 

White Team:
-Boucher was passing more than shooting. I wish he would have taken more advantage of his shot. I hoped to see more from him, honestly. 
-Wood was good (and that rhymes). I think he scored twice (at least once), had at least one assist, and he wasn’t afraid to get physical.
-Rest of team was pretty meh to be frank. 

Gray Team:
-Apart from a few nice saves, Appleby had a rough go of it today. Not a tournament he’ll remember with fondness, to be sure. 
-Kujawinski had some good plays offensively and defensively. 
-Chatham and Baddock both played physical, as would be expected.
  • Like 1

Was lurking around HF Boards, which I don't usually do, and saw a couple pretty detailed comments about the 3v3 today scrimmage. Figured I'd quote them on here for people looking for a little more insight on who did what, as it doesn't sound like many people here could make it...

Disappointed with Boucher so far.