Devils pick Goalie Blackwood with 2nd round pick

Guys. You can have goaltending depth for n-o-t-h-i-n-g any damn day of the week. That's why you don't spend picks on them, especially not in the range where there were a sh!t ton of good F/D prospects to be had. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Horrendous pick, numbers aren't there to be picked this high.  It might work out, these things sometimes do, but it's really bad.

I like this pick. Dude is one of the top goalie prospects in a extremely deep draft, he's tall like Bishop and can really play.   What next to NO ONE understands on here is that our depth at goalten

Blackwood, Wedgewood, driftwood, deadwood...what's the difference?

I feel we could be competitive in 2-4 years, so I think Schneider will end his current contract here, while Blackwood develops, and after that, he might re-sign, or he might leave. Then, we'll be happy to have Blackwood, if he develops as planned. If he doesn't it's a different story, of course.

Edited by Devs3cups

I'm not thrilled with taking a goaltender in 2nd round but I'll try not to complain too much about it. I'd rather target goalies late in the draft or UDFA but what is done is done. Here's the really quick post I threw together on him for ILWT.

I like to use stats like Goals Saved Above Average (GSAA) to get a general idea of how a guy performed relative to his peers. Blackwood was 11th among OHL goalies with a 10.81 GSAA mark. So he seems to have the size that scouts love and ok enough numbers (at least last year). He's apparently a workhorse too. I'm not saying this is a good pick but I'm trying to be a little bit positive.

Craig Button of TSN:

Blackwood possesses a very good base of goaltending skill. His mobility and lateral agility is good and he moves well around his net in reading the play and utilizing his size to his advantage. At times he gets caught deep in the net, creating unnecessary vulnerability but is certainly an aspect that can be developed and allow him to be a very good goalie.

Greg Balloch of InGoal Magazine:

He has fantastic size at 6-foot-4, and long, long legs that he uses to seal the ice very effectively. He’s still learning to play into his size a bit more, having recently grown quite a bit (as much as 3 inches in the past year, by some reports), but he’s surprisingly quick. Even though he’s capable, he doesn’t usually make a lot of flashy cross-crease saves because his positioning is solid.
---
Another thing that Blackwood does exceptionally well is recover to a standing position, or stay on his skates when the situation calls for it. With a frame that large, he’s an intimidating figure for shooters to come down on when he’s standing up. He’s not a typical “blocking” goaltender. He’s very smart about when he goes down into the butterfly, and it gives his positioning a sense of maturity beyond his years.

To put this in perspective,I doubt Blackwood will be any more talented then like Talbot... and he just costed a couple of late picks

So even in a best case scenario here, he still isn't worth a 2nd rounder.

I know the analogy is a stretch but to put it in perspective

Guys. You can have goaltending depth for n-o-t-h-i-n-g any damn day of the week. That's why you don't spend picks on them, especially not in the range where there were a sh!t ton of good F/D prospects to be had. 

It's a bit of a simplistic and flawed argument.  Sure you can find depth for nothing but people make it out to be just as simple as pick a random guy off the street and anyone is guaranteed to have success.  Ask the Oilers who've been flopping around goalies for years or the Flyers (who picked three goalies today), or the Blues if it's that easy.  Until Dubnyk's one great year the Wild were flipping guys around too.

For all the guys you find for nothing that you hit on there's a ton more that are just a waste of time.

Edited by NJDevs26

To put this in perspective,I doubt Blackwood will be any more talented then like Talbot... and he just costed a couple of late picks

So even in a best case scenario here, he still isn't worth a 2nd rounder.

I know the analogy is a stretch but to put it in perspective

Lol, what an awful comparison. Talbot is on the ugly side of 20 and has never been a starter. Saying Talbot is the "best case scenario" for Blackwood is simply stupid.

Lol, what an awful comparison. Talbot is on the ugly side of 20 and has never been a starter. Saying Talbot is the "best case scenario" for Blackwood is simply stupid.

alright I guess I kinda deserved that one

Can't hate this. Who's even backing up Wedge in Albany next year? Clermont? The guy who has never broken a .900 save percentage in a full season at any level? We're short in goal, and maybe some of us forget that Cory isn't 24. And sure, you can find goalies, but if this kid works out, we won't need to blow a couple of picks to grab Cory's successor. Imagine we'd had someone in the system ready to step in and play at a high level when Marty was done. We've got a Bo Horvat on the brink of a breakout year and have Zacha a year or two away. We're closer to competing if we don't have to give up that 9th pick

We needed a goalie - he was high on their list. Stay away from the cliff. 

We have centers now from Zacha, Blandisi and JQ. We have good D. Yes we could use some help on the wing, but taking just one more pick on a winger this year or next won't make that much of a difference. 

This year we probably have Matteau, Palmieri, possibly Kalinin, possibly Boucher and possibly Thompson playing for us. Shero has so far added pieces without trading any of the young D - which he can still do.  FA is coming up shortly.

So he used one pick for the top rated NA goalie instead of another winger, it's not that big of a deal.

This post makes no sense. Your first point is: "we are set on depth, except for winger...but that just wouldn't matter because...well...just because"

Absolutely it could help to draft a winger, especially in a deep draft. You don't just draft a goalie unless he is projected to be good. We can get Mac Blackwoods all day. Do it next year, or the year after. We have all day before Cory is gone. You could actually get a winger in then 2nd round who might end up playing in the NHL.

Another point was, "Blackwood is the top ranked NA goalie, which we drafted instead of a winger, so it's okay." None of that means anything except in your own mind. That he is the "top ranked NA goalie" doesn't tell us anything.

This.

Edited by Neb00rs

This post makes no sense. Your first point is: "we are set on depth, except for winger...but that just wouldn't matter because...well...just because"

Absolutely it could help to draft a winger, especially in a deep draft. You don't just draft a goalie unless he is projected to be good. We can get Mac Blackwoods all day. Do it next year, or the year after. We have all day before Cory is gone. You could actually get a winger in then 2nd round who might end up playing in the NHL.

Another point was, "Blackwood is the top ranked NA goalie, which we drafted instead of a winger, so it's okay." None of that means anything except in your own mind. That he is the "top ranked NA goalie" doesn't tell us anything.

This.

My post means, yes we could always use another winger - but to take an extra one now or another next year - what difference does it make. This guy is projected to be good, he was the top ranked goaltender from NA...he's not Anthony Brodeur. 

It's a bit of a simplistic and flawed argument.  Sure you can find depth for nothing but people make it out to be just as simple as pick a random guy off the street and anyone is guaranteed to have success.  Ask the Oilers who've been flopping around goalies for years or the Flyers (who picked three goalies today), or the Blues if it's that easy.  Until Dubnyk's one great year the Wild were flipping guys around too.

For all the guys you find for nothing that you hit on there's a ton more that are just a waste of time.

Well, your reasoning is certainly simplistic and flawed. I guess we shouldn't draft forwards either because some incompetent teams are terrible at evaluating them? Neither of those teams have issues finding depth in net - it's that they play backups as starters and think they're something they're not. 

Looking back on past drafts it seems like early second round is a goalie trap- at that point most of the highly thought of skaters are off the board and one or two of the top 3 goalies fall so someone perceives value and snatches them up. Early second round doesn't seem like a hotbed for great ones- Frazee, neuvirth, markstrom. Bleh.

Well, your reasoning is certainly simplistic and flawed. I guess we shouldn't draft forwards either because some incompetent teams are terrible at evaluating them? Neither of those teams have issues finding depth in net - it's that they play backups as starters and think they're something they're not. 

Nobody's advocating using only late-round picks on forwards.  And if they have no trouble finding depth why do they wind up paying for it every...single...year?

People complain we're not going to contend when Cory's still in his prime then complain when we get someone that might turn into a player when he's not.

again it would be all fine and fine if we were a regular team with an average farm and all. Our forward depth is scary bad and we can't make moves like this. We simply can't. 

You can get an established backup goalie for a 2nd pick these days and he can step up right away. Goalies are so hard to project, why take the risk to draft one when we have an urgent need for forwards and had MANY good options there. it's ridiculous.

Blackwood, Wedgewood, driftwood, deadwood...what's the difference?

• Like 1

My post means, yes we could always use another winger - but to take an extra one now or another next year - what difference does it make. This guy is projected to be good, he was the top ranked goaltender from NA...he's not Anthony Brodeur. 

Again, it's a deep draft and we need forwards. This is the second round where we can still draft NHL level talent. Instead we took a goalie who won't see daylight, if ever, for years and years. Draft a goalie in a later round if you really want one. And also again, just because he is the top ranked NA goaltender does not mean anything; it is not a comparative statement that is worth much. The top ranked NA goalie in any given draft could be anywhere from a five to a ten out of ten.

forwards taken after 5th place in second round

Gabriel Gagne sens

Paul Bittner jackets

A.J. Greer avs

Ryan Gropp rags

Forsbacka Karlsson bruins

Daniel Sprong pens

Jansen Harkins jets

Filip Chlapik sens

Roop Hintz stars

Jordan Greenway wild

Graham Knott blackhawk

Yakov Trenin preds

Talent?

Be honest, how long did it take you to come up with this pun? :P

Not very...the "wood"s made it pretty easy.