Gomez, Clemmensen, Bernier gone

titans04

Not going to be brought back per Shero.

Harold and Fraser told to look for other options.

I wouldn't have minded Bernier on the 4th line, nor Gomez if we weren't going to make moves, but I don't have a problem with any of this really. Especially Harrold and Fraser.

Kind of like the direction Shero is heading.

Good riddance AND STAY OUT!

But seriously, I'd welcome Gomez back based on how he played last year, but the changes that Shero is making are good and I wouldn't be surprised if the Devils surprised in October.  It's really really weird, but when Shero was at the helm in Pittsburgh, I'm pretty sure I remember dogging and ragging on the Penguins virtually almost every move he made.  Did anyone else do this? 

Good decisions. Devils will need to sign a few players, but I'd much rather them take flyers on younger players that may turn out to be something or could be part of the future. Gomez and Bernier were obviously not that.

It's so funny how a year ago no one wanted anything to do with Bernier and Gomez. Both ran extremely hot, especially on the PP. Both numbers will come down to earth wherever they go, especially since neither will be near a 1st line or top PP unit ever again.

Extremely pleased here.

“The good thing is all of the guys wanted to come back,” Shero said. “Scott's been a great Devil. This really isn't about Scott Gomez. This is more about Josefson and what we can find out about his development. Now, we draft Zacha. How are you going to five Zacha an opportunity to see where he is in training camp if you don't have any positions available. So, it's more not about those players in particular. It's more about giving other guys an opportunity and where we want to go and getting younger and a little different type of team."

I like JJ, but he couldn't out perform Gomez last season. What makes then think this year will be any different.

Gomez was 3rd on this team in scoring. He could 100% di a job for this team.

I really do find this strange.

Also if anyone actually wants the link to read it:

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/mobile/fire-ice-1.174987/devils-won-t-try-to-re-sign-gomez-bernier-fraser-harrold-going-to-ufa-market-1.1364532

“The good thing is all of the guys wanted to come back,” Shero said. “Scott's been a great Devil. This really isn't about Scott Gomez. This is more about Josefson and what we can find out about his development. Now, we draft Zacha. How are you going to five Zacha an opportunity to see where he is in training camp if you don't have any positions available. So, it's more not about those players in particular. It's more about giving other guys an opportunity and where we want to go and getting younger and a little different type of team."

I like JJ, but he couldn't out perform Gomez last season. What makes then think this year will be any different.

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/mobile/fire-ice-1.174987/devils-won-t-try-to-re-sign-gomez-bernier-fraser-harrold-going-to-ufa-market-1.1364532

Josefson may be nothing more than a career 4th liner, but they got to give him a great look and find out. Trying to unlock Josefson's potential/evaluating him is more important than another year of Gomez. 

It's not all about Josefson either. It's about finding another good young option in free agency or elsewhere. In the end, it might be possible that the Devils could use Scott Gomez come opening day, but they don't have the luxury of waiting until the end of camp and offering him a PTO this year. Out of respect, you have to tell him before July 1st that the team is going in another direction. 

I hope Havlat, Zubrus, Clowe, Ryder, and Sal will be jettisoned next.

Their contracts (minus zubrus and clowe) are up.  Ryder and Sal are done here.  No way in dogsh!t does Salvador come back.  I told everybody on this forum months ago(I think months ago) when he got hurt and even before he got hurt this season that Salvador is done.  He has foot and back issues.  He's done.  I'll go find the stupid interview that came out at the end of last season(not this past season).  

I agree.  I'm one of JJ's biggest advocates, but he definitely got a good look last season and then he got hurt (again).  It's just sh!tty because everybody said last year it was a make or break time period for him, but it looks like he's going to get another season to try to put something together.  I remain faithful, but I'm not holding my breath for a 30 point season out of him.  I do honestly think he has the hands and the passing ability to be a successful NHLer, but maybe throw him with Zacha or Henrique and see if he sticks there.  And when we talk about Josefson, it's impossible not to mention he still often plays with inadequate linemates.

Josefson may be nothing more than a career 4th liner, but they got to give him a great look and find out. Trying to unlock Josefson's potential/evaluating him is more important than another year of Gomez.

It's not all about Josefson either. It's about finding another good young option in free agency or elsewhere. In the end, it might be possible that the Devils could use Scott Gomez come opening day, but they don't have the luxury of waiting until the end of camp and offering him a PTO this year. Out of respect, you have to tell him before July 1st that the team is going in another direction.

They have had a good look at his play though. He is not magically going to get better given a bigger role.

We were forced to bring Gomez in ad no one at centre was performing last season anyway and he ended up being the 3rd most productive forward on the team in 30 less games.

As others have pointed out, what if JJ is a 4th liner? Then what? Or have we fully entered the rebuild where we are quite happy not being at all competitive from the start?

They have had a good look at his play though. He is not magically going to get better given a bigger role.

We were forced to bring Gomez in ad no one at centre was performing last season anyway and he ended up being the 3rd most productive forward on the team in 30 less games.

As others have pointed out, what if JJ is a 4th liner? Then what? Or have we fully entered the rebuild where we are quite happy not being at all competitive from the start?

Finding a replacement for Gomez will not be hard. Gomez was a mediocre 5-on-5 player that ran insanely hot on the PP. I can promise that he will not be duplicating that rate in 2015-2016. So the Scott Gomez that one can reasonably expect this year will be easy to replace. 

It may not be Josefson, but so many young players will be able to do that. 

JJ isn't going to have a soul-crushing mongoloid of a coach in Peter DeBoer completely fvcking with him or the rest of the youth.

So if he sucks this year, as others have said, see ya. But we should remember how piss poor Larsson was under PDB and how miraculously he turned his career around last year once that mouth breathing, blank looked spaz left. Of course, JJ isn't on Larsson's talent level, but I'm willing to give him a shot over a filler from last year who, while he did play great at times, is well past his prime.