Gomez, Clemmensen, Bernier gone

titans04

The problem with the logic here is that Pavel Zacha shouldn't have an opportunity to make the team, unless he is utterly phenomenal in training camp.  Now maybe Shero's just saying that as a justification, but he cannot be here next year.  NJ has no business starting his UFA clock on such a bad team.

What's interesting is that while I don't think Josefson will be clubbed by better competition he just doesn't quite do enough to make it against them either.  It's hard to identify what his game is missing, but there's definitely something missing.  Maybe the new coaches can find a good role for him - obviously DeBoer couldn't past year 1, and the 3 headed coach could only find a good role for Fraser and I guess reluctantly Gomez.

I love that we are finally seeing the end of Fraser, Clemmer, and Harrold: something that might not be true under Lou. However, I think Gomez and Bernier not being re-signed has more to do with the fact they they are no longer going to be absolute bargains after both had good seasons last year. We got both players for nothing last season. They will probably both get $1 million+ this coming year, Bernier might even get a two year deal.

Edited by Neb00rs

I will eat my words. When we signed Gomez last year I hated it. He proved me wrong.

Out of that list I would have happily had Gomez come back as a 3rd or 4th liner. The rest can easily go.

But I do like the direction Shero is moving, it will be a fun ride.

We may not be a much better team in terms of wins and losses this year, but the organization will be in a better spot. If nothing else, this team will be younger and faster. The young D men will really get a chance to play big minutes consistently with Harrold and Fraser gone. In two years, we could very possibly welcome Zacha and Santini into the NHL lineup too. I appreciate the work that Shero has done already.

I dont know who is going to score goals for us, but that might be a problem that cant be fixed this year anyway. It's always possible that a team has some cap issues and we could help take a contact, but that probably would have happened with the flurry of other deals yesterday.

• Like 1

Gomez was a very "good sport" last year, but he is a holdover from the Lamoriello regime and hence there are a few good reasons not to retain him.  He is in his mid-thirties and looking for a raise.  Not a good combination for a player that can't provide much for the overall future of the team.

Bernier, I liked.  Good heart, played hard.  But, he was also gonna look for a raise.  Besides, we have several players the "likes" of Bernier, including Ruutu, Zubrus, and Tootoo, so no need for a "fourth redundant option."

I would like to see us rid the team of guys the likes of Zubrus and Ruutu, but I'm not sure if that is doable.

I also can see the Gomez, Harrold, Bernier, Clemmer, Salvador departures opening the door for a cheap signing of Marty St. Louis.

If I had to pick between Gomer and MSL, I would go with the latter, and maybe Shero is preparing for just this.

The problem with the logic here is that Pavel Zacha shouldn't have an opportunity to make the team, unless he is utterly phenomenal in training camp. Now maybe Shero's just saying that as a justification, but he cannot be here next year. NJ has no business starting his UFA clock on such a bad team.

What's interesting is that while I don't think Josefson will be clubbed by better competition he just doesn't quite do enough to make it against them either. It's hard to identify what his game is missing, but there's definitely something missing. Maybe the new coaches can find a good role for him - obviously DeBoer couldn't past year 1, and the 3 headed coach could only find a good role for Fraser and I guess reluctantly Gomez.

I think the idea is to see how Zacha does in camp and let him play 9 games before sending him back to Sarnia (assuming he doesn't absolutely set the world on fire in those 9 games). I highly doubt he'll be here past game 9.

Josefson is not breaking out at all. We've seen enough to know that the words "breaking out" should not be attached to Jacob. What you could realistically find out this season is if he can be more than a 4th line center -- perhaps a third line center that has 30 point potential.

I wonder if Shero knows that. He might be getting some bad intel or trusting a few hockey people in the organization that are just hoping that a new coach and better situation could mean something big for Jacob. Can't imagine it being beneficial for guys like Conte, Chris or even Lou to say that there only young NHL forward doesn't have the ability to be anything more than a 4th liner. 

I expect Shero to pick up another center. You absolutely do not need to leave a spot for Zacha to make the team. That's ridiculous thinking that has been part of the reason the Oilers have been so bad over the last few years. At the same time, there's no reason to give a guaranteed contract to a Scott Gomez type either. Also, as Tri noted, do not burn a year for Zacha to play on a team that is going to be bad.

Josefson is not breaking out at all. We've seen enough to know that the words "breaking out" should not be attached to Jacob. What you could realistically find out this season is if he can be more than a 4th line center -- perhaps a third line center that has 30 point potential.

I wonder if Shero knows that. He might be getting some bad intel or trusting a few hockey people in the organization that are just hoping that a new coach and better situation could mean something big for Jacob. Can't imagine it being beneficial for guys like Conte, Chris or even Lou to say that there only young NHL forward doesn't have the ability to be anything more than a 4th liner. 

I expect Shero to pick up another center. You absolutely do not need to leave a spot for Zacha to make the team. That's ridiculous thinking that has been part of the reason the Oilers have been so bad over the last few years. At the same time, there's no reason to give a guaranteed contract to a Scott Gomez type either. Also, as Tri noted, do not burn a year for Zacha to play on a team that is going to be bad.

I don't think he will.  Where does another center go in this lineup?

Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri

Elias-Henrique-?

Boucher-Josefson-Kalinin/Matteau/Thompson/Zacha/?

Ruutu/Zubrus-Gionta-Tootoo/?

I think with Elias and Henrique, while neither one is an ideal center, they are passable, and NJ can go into the season like that - sign another center and you bump one of those guys to LW.

Edited by Triumph

God you're cynical...and you've been among the ones most wanting change and crying about Lou and his same old philosophy, now it's going in a completely different direction, the direction many wanted and that's not good enough either.  Everyone hated the stopgap approach, now it's the young guy approach that gets ripped.

Leaving a spot for Zacha to win and counting on him to win the spot are two different things.  They can fill a lineup without him or Gomez next year.  Might not be a very good lineup but they're clearly warp-speeding the out with the old and in with the new.  And it's not unprecedented to have a high first-round pick play in the NHL right away.  I don't like it the majority of the time either but ironically enough Gomez is one of the ones it did work out for, and he was actually a lower first-round pick.

it wouldn't shock me at all depending on how camp goes that they give zacha 9 games to start the season. he has NHL size and speed right now. whether he can put it together is an entirely other question. i think they will try to give him a shot to make it out of camp though.

they did it with severson which i was 100% sure wasn't going to happen. true that severson was a year older. but they put matteau in the nhl right away. yes it was a ridiculous decision but it at least shows at one time they were willing to do it.

I've been saying it all along, PDB is an atrocious coach, great to see JJ will be getting the opportunity he deserves.

I've liked all of Shero's moves thus far, except letting Stevens go. That, I think was a big no-no.

I am meh on Gomez, if there is roster space available, then there's a good chance Shero may look to bring him back or upgrade via free agency.

Regarding Bernier, in a previous interview, Shero mentioned that he doesnt just look at one year, he looks at the overall performance of the player over the duration of the contract. The reality is a lot of players play their hardest in the contract year and looks like Shero is going to put an end to that, he wants a player who is performing well throughout the middle of his contract. This may have been the first step in that direction.

If Zajac continues to play the way he has been, I can see him being on the trading block very early. Somehow, I think Shero may be able to convince the Wild to overpay for Zajac because of his chemistry with Parise and get a solid return on him.

The problem with the logic here is that Pavel Zacha shouldn't have an opportunity to make the team, unless he is utterly phenomenal in training camp.  Now maybe Shero's just saying that as a justification, but he cannot be here next year.  NJ has no business starting his UFA clock on such a bad team.

What's interesting is that while I don't think Josefson will be clubbed by better competition he just doesn't quite do enough to make it against them either.  It's hard to identify what his game is missing, but there's definitely something missing.  Maybe the new coaches can find a good role for him - obviously DeBoer couldn't past year 1, and the 3 headed coach could only find a good role for Fraser and I guess reluctantly Gomez.

Thank you.

I've been saying it all along, PDB is an atrocious coach, great to see JJ will be getting the opportunity he deserves.

I've liked all of Shero's moves thus far, except letting Stevens go. That, I think was a big no-no.

I am meh on Gomez, if there is roster space available, then there's a good chance Shero may look to bring him back or upgrade via free agency.

Regarding Bernier, in a previous interview, Shero mentioned that he doesnt just look at one year, he looks at the overall performance of the player over the duration of the contract. The reality is a lot of players play their hardest in the contract year and looks like Shero is going to put an end to that, he wants a player who is performing well throughout the middle of his contract. This may have been the first step in that direction.

If Zajac continues to play the way he has been, I can see him being on the trading block very early. Somehow, I think Shero may be able to convince the Wild to overpay for Zajac because of his chemistry with Parise and get a solid return on him.

That simply isn't true. San Jose is going to be really good next year.

God you're cynical...and you've been among the ones most wanting change and crying about Lou and his same old philosophy, now it's going in a completely different direction, the direction many wanted and that's not good enough either.  Everyone hated the stopgap approach, now it's the young guy approach that gets ripped.

Leaving a spot for Zacha to win and counting on him to win the spot are two different things.  They can fill a lineup without him or Gomez next year.  Might not be a very good lineup but they're clearly warp-speeding the out with the old and in with the new.  And it's not unprecedented to have a high first-round pick play in the NHL right away.  I don't like it the majority of the time either but ironically enough Gomez is one of the ones it did work out for, and he was actually a lower first-round pick.

Gomez was 19.  He did not make the Devils out of his first training camp - he went back to junior for a year, then made the Devils the next year.

it wouldn't shock me at all depending on how camp goes that they give zacha 9 games to start the season. he has NHL size and speed right now. whether he can put it together is an entirely other question. i think they will try to give him a shot to make it out of camp though.

they did it with severson which i was 100% sure wasn't going to happen. true that severson was a year older. but they put matteau in the nhl right away. yes it was a ridiculous decision but it at least shows at one time they were willing to do it.

Severson was 2 years older - at that point his contract and UFA clock were starting regardless - and Matteau was put in the NHL when Vanderbeek was going through his Rolls Royce ashtrays to come up with the team salary every 15 days.  The Devils were also in win-now mode at that point, they are not in that mode now, and it's basically been shown that putting Matteau in that early was a bad decision (and Lou has admitted as much).  I don't think it seriously hurt his long-term development, but now he has to make the NHL team this year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Zacha gets the 9 games but to me he has to be one of the best 7 forwards on the team to make it.  He has to be capable of putting up 35-40 points per 82 games immediately with good attention to defense.  And I don't see that as likely.

Cynical...I like to think realistic. Tri kind of said what I would say anyway. You have to damn well be sure that Zacha is going to be really good at the NHL level for him to make the team. I'm not sure you are going to know that with a 10 game sample. 

I like the stop gap approach to an extent, but I wouldn't mind it with guys that aren't Gomez or Bernier. Ideally, I want the Devils to finish fairly badly, but not at the expense of hindering all of the top prospects development. Is that asking for too much? Probably.

I'm happy with the new direction. Shero knows the Devils aren't close to a playoff team. He's making zero moves that really put them closer to a playoff team next year. For me, that's more than enough. 

Edited by devilsrule33

i hate when people get into the mind set that there is no way of this team getting into the playoffs and being competitive.. that is why we watch all season long.. fans dont watch the team and go to games to hope or expect them to lose.. i know there is alot of work to be done here and we will see what happens once free agency start if we pick up or trade players..i beleive we will see more moves here with out a doubt..but let not be as negative to say that we have no chance at being any good next year even if it doesnt look so bright...have some faith and see what the new coaching staff can do with what they have to work with.

Cynical...I like to think realistic. Tri kind of said what I would say anyway. You have to damn well be sure that Zacha is going to be really good at the NHL level for him to make the team. I'm not sure you are going to know that with a 10 game sample. 

I like the stop gap approach to an extent, but I wouldn't mind it with guys that aren't Gomez or Bernier. Ideally, I want the Devils to finish fairly badly, but not at the expense of hindering all of our top prospects development. Is that asking for too much? Probably.

I'm happy with the new direction. Shero knows the Devils aren't close to a playoff team. He's making zero moves that really put them closer to a playoff team next year. For me, that's more than enough. 

Maybe it's just the summer euphoria and the fact that I have mostly forgotten how fvcking putrid and unwatchable this team was at the end of the season, but I'm not sure they are going to be that terrible.  They won't score.  That's a given - if this team ends up out of the bottom 5 in goals for it'll be a miracle.  But if Merril and Severson can take big steps forward and this team gets a decent system worked out, I think they can be passable on D.  

This is crazy.  How are we going to fill the spots of Gomez and Bernier?  Neither of them garner a huge price tag, and both played well down the stretch last year.  Gomez is a model Devil, and could be a huge mentor to younger guys to help them develop.  I'm glad Harrold and Fraser are likely gone, but I would have MUCH rather kept Gomez and Bernier and dropped the boat anchors that are Zubrus, Ryder, and Salvador. 

Our roster is already thin and depleted, especially at forward, and there aren't a ton of good free agents out there, at least not for cheap, so I fail to see how giving pink slips to serviceable 3rd/4th line guys like Gomez and Bernier is helping this squad.  Hell, it's not even a case of "addition by subtraction" like you could clearly make for Havlat/Zubrus/Ryder/Salvador...

This is crazy. How are we going to fill the spots of Gomez and Bernier? Neither of them garner a huge price tag, and both played well down the stretch last year. Gomez is a model Devil, and could be a huge mentor to younger guys to help them develop. I'm glad Harrold and Fraser are likely gone, but I would have MUCH rather kept Gomez and Bernier and dropped the boat anchors that are Zubrus, Ryder, and Salvador.

Our roster is already thin and depleted, especially at forward, and there aren't a ton of good free agents out there, at least not for cheap, so I fail to see how giving pink slips to serviceable 3rd/4th line guys like Gomez and Bernier is helping this squad. Hell, it's not even a case of "addition by subtraction" like you could clearly make for Havlat/Zubrus/Ryder/Salvador...

Havlat, Ryder, and Sal are all UFA aren't they? This is to give guys like Josefson, Matteau, Boucher, etc playing time. Let's see what they have.

Until Zacha is 'too good' for the OHL he has no business being on the Devils. I'm itching to see him play for the Devils too, but he'll most likely get his 9 games and then go back to Sarnia.

I think the 9 games are what's best too. If he puts up something like 6 points and 2+ shots a game and he can handle the defensive rigors, then I have no issues with him staying up. He likely won't so let him actually dominate the OHL and play for his country in the WJC

I wouldn't be surprised if Zacha gets the 9 games but to me he has to be one of the best 7 forwards on the team to make it.  He has to be capable of putting up 35-40 points per 82 games immediately with good attention to defense.  And I don't see that as likely.

i agree that it is highly unlikely, but I would argue that he has to be one of the 4 or 5 best forwards to stay. basically, he has to have a sean monihan start where he's getting at least 2 shots a game and there is no doubt about it.