July 1st- UFA Madness

Derlique

PLs understand I'm in no way suggesting signed 30 somethings, I've been screaming about LL doing that the past few years, But I would have liked to see the Devs get Saad, ROR?  JVR?

something to give me a little hope...

The hope you should have is that we're losing a lot of bad players this offseason and we're losing more next offseason.

It takes two to tango to get the players you want. Look at the return Chicago and Colorado got for those two players. We're not in a position to give up our few assets right now. The idea now is to add pieces without giving up assets. Its going to be a rough year at least. Hopefully this time next year we'll be able to wheel and deal and really see improvement. 

Edited by ghdi

Semin intrigues me as a 1 year project. He's on the wrong side of 30 BUT for one or two yr term for 2M or less, why not? My only thought is he can probably make more money across the pond.

If we want to give Semin that opportunity, there's no reason at all why we shouldn't go higher than 2M to prevent a better team from getting him or him just going back to Russia. We're nowhere near the cap. If the team is serious about taking a flier on Semin, give him 4M on a one year term. If he plays well he'll be a trade piece at the deadline. Worst case hes out the door in the offseason.

If we want to give Semin that opportunity, there's no reason at all why we shouldn't go higher than 2M to prevent a better team from getting him or him just going back to Russia. We're nowhere near the cap. If the team is serious about taking a flier on Semin, give him 4M on a one year term. If he plays well he'll be a trade piece at the deadline. Worst case hes out the door in the offseason.

If the Devils want to take a chance on someone like Semin, it only makes sense if you give him at least a two year deal, and probably three. He's a reclamation project, and if he gets back into form, he's still in all likelihood not enough to make this a playoff team this year, and you'd have no reason to expect any loyalty from him if a lot of other teams are bidding for him as a UFA after he's rejuvenated his career.

I'd see if you can sign him to something similar to what Ryder got. If he stinks, it won't be the end of the world. If he's good and the team still otherwise stinks, you could still trade him for a good return, or at least the extra year wouldn't get in the way. The Devils could afford to retain some of that salary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel

Hard to believe we couldn't have matched that trade to get Oshie. Unreal. Id love to be on the Caps side of that deal.

If they wanted a veteran RW who could score 20+ goals, no we couldn't have matched that. If that was their specific need, an apples to apples trade for veteran RW, we didn't have that piece to give to them. 

Edited by DJ Eco

Hard to believe we couldn't have matched that trade to get Oshie. Unreal. Id love to be on the Caps side of that deal.

Maybe we did.

And St Louis had two perfectly good offers and they said to Oshie, we have two deals you can either go to the Devils who will suck for the foreseeable future, or the Capitals , who will probably stand a chance of going deep in the playoffs.

Maybe we did.

And St Louis had two perfectly good offers and they said to Oshie, we have two deals you can either go to the Devils who will suck for the foreseeable future, or the Capitals , who will probably stand a chance of going deep in the playoffs.

I'm beginning to fall on the side of the people who say "Not only do players not want to come here, we probably don't want them here."  Yeah, we can want to sign players, but the feeling has to be mutual.  We're like the Islanders or the Oilers of two or three years ago.  It's going to be rare to see a player truly want to come here until we start putting together some winning seasons.  Nearly 15 years to build up what winning tradition we had and top/good players still found better reasons to not play in New Jersey, and that's another reason for a rebuild that should eventually re-provide that winning tradition.  

Basically, we as fans should not be surprised and maybe even impressed by the fact that the Devils haven't made any crazy huge moves and stood pat for Free Agency.   If Lou was still at the helm, I highly doubt this would have been the case, we would be looking at one or two signings that, yeah, we'd argue or justify those two signings as attempts to bridge the gap until younger players are ready, but in reality their skills would be wasted here.  

Dude, we had to overpay to get Clowe here. He said he came here because the offer was right, not because he wanted to be with the organization. The only guys ,outside of maybe Jagr, Cammo and Zids, that came here in recent memory were broken down has beens whom no one else wanted.

Edited by CarpathianForest

Now to Oshie.  The hype surronding Oshie is a joke.  He's 28 years old and hasn't even scored 25 goals in a season yet.  Great player and great addition, but he's not someone a team can depend on to secure 30-40 goals.  He's a secondary scorer at best and he's 28 years old.  These are his prime years and he's not exactly going to get better with extra ice time in Washington.  People identify this guy as a player similar to Zach Parise and the scoring touch just is not there.  Parise had already scored 5 30-goal seasons by the time he was Oshie's age.  I don't think that acquiring Oshie is any bigger of an acquisition than Palmieri is.  

Oshie has certainly been underwhelming outside of the hype.  I can see him blossoming in Washington though as the Capitals are finally giving Ovie a supporting cast outside of Backstrom who has had a tendency to disappear completely in the playoffs.

Now to Oshie.  The hype surronding Oshie is a joke.  He's 28 years old and hasn't even scored 25 goals in a season yet.  Great player and great addition, but he's not someone a team can depend on to secure 30-40 goals.  He's a secondary scorer at best and he's 28 years old.  These are his prime years and he's not exactly going to get better with extra ice time in Washington.  People identify this guy as a player similar to Zach Parise and the scoring touch just is not there.  Parise had already scored 5 30-goal seasons by the time he was Oshie's age.  I don't think that acquiring Oshie is any bigger of an acquisition than Palmieri is.  

I think that's an unfairly harsh review. Guys who put up 70+ goals in the last two seasons: Ovie, Perry, Seguin, Pavelski, Pacioretty. Yeah, he's not an elite scorer, very few guys are. But just because you're not elite doesn't mean you're secondary (at least not in my book, I realise this definition isn't set in stone). He's more of a playmaker anyways and his point rates are very good - top 30 in assists/60 last two seasons (all situations), 8th at evens, very close to being elite in primary assists/60, 16th in P/60 at even strength...

Caps have their elite scorer and they got a better-than-secondary-scorer to help bolster their secondary scoring without giving up much. And he's quite cheap to boot.

• Like 1

I think that's an unfairly harsh review. Guys who put up 70+ goals in the last two seasons: Ovie, Perry, Seguin, Pavelski, Pacioretty. Yeah, he's not an elite scorer, very few guys are. But just because you're not elite doesn't mean you're secondary (at least not in my book, I realise this definition isn't set in stone). He's more of a playmaker anyways and his point rates are very good - top 30 in assists/60 last two seasons (all situations), 8th at evens, very close to being elite in primary assists/60, 16th in P/60 at even strength...

Caps have their elite scorer and they got a better-than-secondary-scorer to help bolster their secondary scoring without giving up much. And he's quite cheap to boot.

So you would equate Oshie with, say Backstrom, in terms of playing-style/habits?  It's undeniable that Oshie has a great deal of hype and fame surrounding him.  I argue that he's very much over-rated and has NOT earned the hype that surrounds him.  Like I said, good player, not elite.  He might break 70 points playing with Backstrom and Ovie, but that's not a guarantee.   

So you would equate Oshie with, say Backstrom, in terms of playing-style/habits?  It's undeniable that Oshie has a great deal of hype and fame surrounding him.  I argue that he's very much over-rated and has NOT earned the hype that surrounds him.  Like I said, good player, not elite.  He might break 70 points playing with Backstrom and Ovie, but that's not a guarantee.   

I only argued with your assessment that he's a secondary scorer, he's most certainly a primary scorer (unless you equate primary scorer with = Elitest of Elite Scorers). The rest is very subjective and media/fan driven and I can understand/agree with a lot of it (TJ Sochi etc).