John Moore to NJD

eaglejelly

Can't take you seriously but hey, I know you don't care.   Lots of people use the word.  I have seen it used and have used in myriad situations. The damn sentence has a fog index of 2.  I guess we are now in a world that has been taken over by slang, abbreviations, emoticons and emojis. So sad.

Oh Dew, my Dear Dew... I feel you. It turns to be a crime to use real word these days... (ok my broken english doesn't allow me to be really good at it.. but you know what i mean) 

Oh Dew, my Dear Dew... I feel you. It turns to be a crime to use real word these days... (ok my broken english doesn't allow me to be really good at it.. but you know what i mean) 

Absolutely!  I know what you mean, mon ami.  Seems so much is mocked nowadays.  Technology is the main culprit, in my opinion.

Can't take you seriously but hey, I know you don't care.   Lots of people use the word.  I have seen it used and have used in myriad situations. The damn sentence has a fog index of 2.  I guess we are now in a world that has been taken over by slang, abbreviations, emoticons and emojis. So sad.

lol relax it was joke albeit a poor one. I have never seen the word aplomb used in a scouting report before. I suppose when scouts write hundreds of reports they need to crack open the thesaurus to avoid repetition.

I agree the Internet has redefined the English language but words like aplomb are not a part of 1970's lexicon nevermind 21st century. My AP English teacher -best teacher I ever had and he taught for 50 years- once advised to never write using words that you wouldn't use in everyday conversation and used "thus" as an example. When was the last time you used the word aplomb in a conversation?

lol relax it was joke albeit a poor one. I have never seen the word aplomb used in a scouting report before. I suppose when scouts write hundreds of reports they need to crack open the thesaurus to avoid repetition.

I agree the Internet has redefined the English language but words like aplomb are not a part of 1970's lexicon nevermind 21st century. My AP English teacher -best teacher I ever had and he taught for 50 years- once advised to never write using words that you wouldn't use in everyday conversation and used "thus" as an example. When was the last time you used the word aplomb in a conversation?

I use it quite often.. but in my case, it's unfair... as it's a french word ; ) 

Your AP English teacher is rejecting an enormous amount of interesting or euphonious words that can liven up your writing.  Aplomb is a pretty garbage word as things go, it's awkward to say and has thus fallen out of common usage, but it's a perfectly cromulent word.  Looking in a thesaurus for a word sucks - I recall someone in my AP english class revealing that he would often go through his essays with the MS Word Thesaurus and using that to make his writing more interesting, which is horrendous.  So yeah, I get being against that, and I get being against the dense writing of academia, but language gets pretty dull if you limit it to the words you say.

So yeah, in conclusion, use Moore words, not less.

Edited by Triumph
  • Like 2

Your AP English teacher is rejecting an enormous amount of interesting or euphonious words that can liven up your writing.  Aplomb is a pretty garbage word as things go, it's awkward to say and has thus fallen out of common usage, but it's a perfectly cromulent word.  Looking in a thesaurus for a word sucks - I recall someone in my AP english class revealing that he would often go through his essays with the MS Word Thesaurus and using that to make his writing more interesting, which is horrendous.  So yeah, I get being against that, and I get being against the dense writing of academia, but language gets pretty dull if you limit it to the words you say.

So yeah, in conclusion, use Moore words, not less.

lol touche. I suppose the message was write to your audience. Any best selling book these days will not require the reader to open up the thesaurus. I would expect the same of a one paragraph scouting report but maybe the scout gets kicks challenging his readers... Either way Dew didn't need to take a shot at me/myintelligence for making a joke but I divagate.

Will Moore be expected to play any special teams? Obviously he'd be behind at least Gelinas on the PP... Im worried about wearing out Larsson, Severson and Greene if these guys are asked to handle a lot of special teams load.

Edited by dmann422

Moore is a career -16 in +/-

That's my last concern with him considering he was -23 as a rookie on a terrible Jackets team and a -11 on a dumpster fire of a Yotes team last year.  He played 33 playoff games with the Rangers, he must have done something right.

I don't think Greene will be used on the PP this year, I'm not sure who they would use instead of him, whether it's Moore or someone else (probably Merrill), but unless there's injuries I don't see him there, he plays too much on the PK to be playing the PP, and he's not great on the power play anyway.

I don't think Greene will be used on the PP this year, I'm not sure who they would use instead of him, whether it's Moore or someone else (probably Merrill), but unless there's injuries I don't see him there, he plays too much on the PK to be playing the PP, and he's not great on the power play anyway.

probably so the thing is I don't think we have a good enough forward corps to use 4 F and one D. I'm assuming the PP points will be something like:

Gelinas-Larsson

Merril/Moore-severson

Which is fine but then you have to consider all of Larson, severson and Merrill will be vital to out PK unit as well.

probably so the thing is I don't think we have a good enough forward corps to use 4 F and one D. I'm assuming the PP points will be something like:

Gelinas-Larsson

Merril/Moore-severson

Which is fine but then you have to consider all of Larson, severson and Merrill will be vital to out PK unit as well.

That Gelinas pairing will be a serious contender for breaking records for shorthanded goals.

I'll have to let others comment on this, because I really don't know much about him at all.

Moore is a great skater who shows flashes. But he still struggles with consistency. I can't say how he played for the Coyotes. But he was lost defensively for a good majority with the Rangers. As I said to Hasan, not sure I'd have gone three years. But it's time for him to figure it out. The talent is there. But is the IQ?

not sure I'd have gone three years. 

It doesnt really matter since the money is so low. If it took 3 years to get him to sign here, then so be it. 1.6M per is a contract easily gotten out from under. Dump him for a late round pick, waive him, buy him out. There's just no risk in going to 3 years at this kind of money. Best case scenario is he outplays the contract and hes under NJ control for 3 years at a cheap rate.

It doesnt really matter since the money is so low. If it took 3 years to get him to sign here, then so be it. 1.6M per is a contract easily gotten out from under. Dump him for a late round pick, waive him, buy him out. There's just no risk in going to 3 years at this kind of money. Best case scenario is he outplays the contract and hes under NJ control for 3 years at a cheap rate.

That is the hope here, I would assume.

Another no risk low cost spare piece. Yay. Does nothing to make them better.

There was pretty much not one bad signing today by anyone and I wouldn't want the Devils to have done any of them.

Unless they're dealing Henrique or Merill for something good and signing a UFA to replace who they traded, there is no signing that they should do.

This is going to take time.

Unless of course all these Lou Brown all stars actually put on glasses and are shockingly good.

There was pretty much not one bad signing today by anyone and I wouldn't want the Devils to have done any of them.

Unless they're dealing Henrique or Merill for something good and signing a UFA to replace who they traded, there is no signing that they should do.

This is going to take time.

Unless of course all these Lou Brown all stars actually put on glasses and are shockingly good.

I think we'll still be surprised by a forward or two in training camp.