John Moore to NJD

eaglejelly

Another no risk low cost spare piece. Yay. Does nothing to make them better.

This is the process of rebuilding. No need to dump money on over the hill players or people that had one good season. This FA is not a good class. Rather save the money for next year

Another no risk low cost spare piece. Yay. Does nothing to make them better.

Nor should any signing made be expected to right now.

I would argue this offseason is largely addition by subtraction. No more Ryder, Havlat, Salvador, Harrold, or Fraser in and of itself is a good thing. Adding Palmieri, Zacha, Moore, Kalinin, and Mozik has far more upside.

Next offseason and even moreso the 2017 offseason will be when we are better suited to "play" this UFA game again. And a short term signing or trade this offseason that still could be made (i.e. Semin or similar) could improve us immediately.

Edited by ghdi

Yes addition by subtraction seems to be a plus. Excited to read a guy like Gionta still has a spot can't have enough of those guys. Sorry for not getting excited about anything they've done this off season up until now. I would think as part of the rebuilding, which remember we were only two forwards short according to some we would have shot a little higher than signing some relatively older AHL guys who will compete.

I did overlook Palmieri, I think he's a decent role players secondary scorer.

Edited by titans04

Yes addition by subtraction seems to be a plus. Excited to read a guy like Gionta still has a spot can't have enough of those guys. Sorry for not getting excited about anything they've done this off season up until now. I would think as part of the rebuilding, which remember we were only two forwards short according to some we would have shot a little higher than signing some relatively older AHL guys who will compete.

There's nothing to be excited about right now except for the future. We're almost definitely not going to be a playoff team this coming season. We did have a good draft and we did pick up some players that could pay immediate dividends. As soon as people accept the fact that we're rebuilding, it will be a lot easier to look at the moves (or lack thereof) that the team is making right now in a positive light. There's no reason to invest in anyone on this UFA market or overextend ourselves in respect to contract lengths. The offseason is far from over as well. Would an announcement of a Joel Ward or Semin being signed truly change anyone's outlook going forward? Gionta being here is no big deal. He's a 4th liner and has a year left and neither Shero nor Hynes are attached to him. If Gionta is outplayed, someone else will be in his spot. That guy O'Brien could be him if Shero is to be believed.

More junk is gone in a year. Larsson, Severson, Gelinas, and Merrill will all have another year of devlopment and hopefully closer to the players we all believe they have the potential to be. Who knows? Maybe Zacha is here and has a fantastic rookie season and establishes himself quicker than anyone expects. I wouldnt bet on that, but its certainly not impossible. Frankly, I am content being a lottery team again. I'd much rather finish in the same position than push for the playoffs and not make it. The 2016 draft is top heavy. The biggest difference to 2015 is its likely not as deep and there's more separation between the players, but its still got plenty of depth and a lot of high end potential worth getting excited about even now.

They're starting from near zero.  The best move is doing nothing.  The Devils are not operating as if they are two forwards away, because they're not.  So yeah, I am excited about this move in that it is an almost zero risk move with some upside.

Your AP English teacher is rejecting an enormous amount of interesting or euphonious words that can liven up your writing.  Aplomb is a pretty garbage word as things go, it's awkward to say and has thus fallen out of common usage, but it's a perfectly cromulent word.  Looking in a thesaurus for a word sucks - I recall someone in my AP english class revealing that he would often go through his essays with the MS Word Thesaurus and using that to make his writing more interesting, which is horrendous.  So yeah, I get being against that, and I get being against the dense writing of academia, but language gets pretty dull if you limit it to the words you say.

So yeah, in conclusion, use Moore words, not less.

I admit, I Iaughed.  

no opinion on the signing,  gotta see the whole picture 15 or so games into the year this year.

Joe

They're starting from near zero.  The best move is doing nothing.  The Devils are not operating as if they are two forwards away, because they're not.  So yeah, I am excited about this move in that it is an almost zero risk move with some upside.

Yeah if you think the Devils are two forwards away from being contenders this year, you are going to be very disappointed with what they do in the next few months.

Yeah if you think the Devils are two forwards away from being contenders this year, you are going to be very disappointed with what they do in the next few months.

You've completely misread what Triumph said: "The Devils are not operating as if they are two forwards away, because they're not."

You've completely misread what Triumph said: "The Devils are not operating as if they are two forwards away, because they're not."

You've completely misread what I said. My comment wasn't directed at Triumph, I was agreeing with him. Why do you think I included titans04's post?

You've completely misread what I said. My comment wasn't directed at Triumph, I was agreeing with him. Why do you think I included titans04's post?

My bad, wasn't very clear with your response. Was just catching up on the different threads and came across it, sorry.

I am in agreement with the both of you in that regard, been very happy so far with Shero.

I don't understand this move.. unless a D trade is coming

I would say most definitely sweet. Gelinas, Moore, Larsson, Hrabarenka, Severson, Merrill, Helgeson, and Mozik all 24 or younger.. and every single one (with the exception of Mozik) saw NHL playing time last season. Let's see how this shakes out over the next couple of weeks.

Some John Moore quotes...

“The initial thing is I'm just excited,” Moore said. “Ray and John reached out to my agent and I as soon as July 1 happened and the deadline hit and the talks were really encouraging. So, more than anything, I'm really excited. It's a first class organization. I'm also pretty familiar with the area, having played in New York before.”

“One of the biggest things was I got to know Ray at the world championships and it was actually just after he was named the general manager, so I congratulated him on that and we just got talking,” Moore said. “He's a really nice guy and it was a little bit unexpected to be not qualified in Arizona, but as soon as July 1 hit, my agent and I got a call from Ray. And also seeing John Hynes being head coach, a very dynamic coach and someone that I'd like to play for. So, all those factors kind of combined into my decision.”

Moore also likes the aggressive, attacking style that the Devils want to play under Hynes.

“Yeah, for sure,” he said. “That's the way the game is going and there's no finer example than the (Stanley Cup) Final this year. You look at the way the teams played and that's kind of the status quo these days to find success and model after that, but I also remember playing against John's teams when he was in Wilkes-Barre and they came in waves. They played very fast with and without the puck, defended well and those are ethos that they're trying to establish here and I just thought that I fit in perfectly with that.”

“It's funny how quickly that changes,” Moore said. “I have some experience in this league, but, having said that, there's lot of really good young defensemen on this roster. It's exciting for me. I still think of myself as a younger guy with room to grow and room to learn and I think we can feed off each other.  You look down the roster and there's a lot of young, dynamic (defensemen) and it's exciting being in the fold there.”

One familiar face on the Devils' roster is right wing Kyle Palmieri, who was acquired in Friday night's trade with Anaheim. Moore said he knows Palmieri “pretty well just from various U.S. things and we have a lot of mutual friends.”

“He's a great guy and right when I heard New Jersey that was actually one of the first things (he thought of), seeing the trade at the draft and getting the chance to play with him,” Moore said.

Moore admitted that 2014-15 was “a trying season for me.” A five-game suspension for an illegal check to the head on Minnesota's Erik Haula on Oct. 27 seemed to set him back and he struggled to gain a consistent spot in the Blueshirts' lineup after that.

He played in only 38 games with the Rangers (one goal, five assists) before the trade to Arizona (one goal, four assists in 19 games).

“I came into the Rangers and had a suspension right out of the gates and then really kind of struggled to find my way back into the lineup” Moore said. “But, I think one thing throughout it all, I never doubted myself. There were ups, there were downs, there were peaks, there were valleys, but I believe in myself and for Ray and John to reach out to me and show this kind of belief in me it's very humbling.”

Moore said he communicated “pretty regularly” with Rangers coach Alain Vigneault and acknowledged they didn't always agree.

“It was a challenge with a loaded blue line there and I needed consistency,” Moore said. “It was frustrating. At times, I didn't like what he had to say, but I respected him for at least talking to me.”

Moore said he suffered a Grade 2 separation of his shoulder at the world championships, but that is “completely fine now.”

“I just did some rehab and I'm back fully working out now in Chicago, he said.

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/after-unexpectedly-being-let-go-by-coyotes-john-moore-glad-to-join-ray-shero-with-the-devils-1.1367620

Edited by Jerzey Devil

He fits what this team needs, and like Moore is a low risk signing.

Are you picking names out of a hat?  It's nice when you're so specific about how he fits the team needs.  A defensive defenseman, yes, I can live with us needing that, but what is the basis for coming up with Wilson as an answer, UFA listings? 

There was pretty much not one bad signing today by anyone and I wouldn't want the Devils to have done any of them.

Unless they're dealing Henrique or Merill for something good and signing a UFA to replace who they traded, there is no signing that they should do.

This is going to take time.

Unless of course all these Lou Brown all stars actually put on glasses and are shockingly good.

73efb4b8349796a75e043137fe288d1a.jpg