2015 Devils Prospect Scrimmage - 7/18 @ 3PM

DJ Eco

Thanks for the updates Satans

No problem. I know I'm not as detailed and knowledgeable as some other posters here. It's hard when I don't know a lot of the names and numbers cause I don't follow the prospects and drafts picks much.

One guy that really soon out for me was Coleman. He worked really hard and created a bunch of chances.

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Thought Zacha, Hrabarenka, Severson, Kalinin, Coleman, Jacobs, Pietila, looked pretty good. Santini looked solid and had a few nice hits as well. Quenneville also had some nice plays.

Biggest things I noticed:

.Zacha is so strong on the puck and smart without the puck. So many times players would try to check him and he would basically just shoulder them off. The goal Severson scored was set up by Zacha as he fought off a few checks and found Severson in open ice. Zacha also made a bunch of good reads without the puck to shut down opposing plays. He had a really good nueutral zone interception that sent him in on a breakaway, unfortunately there was a player still on the ice from a line change and It got called for an offsides. He had one chance to show off his one timer in the 2nd period, and the kid can really shoot the puck. Jacobs blocked the shot but was limping on the ice for the rest of the shift.

.Severson is so good at seeing open ice, which we kind of knew already. There were so many times were he would find a seam for a breakout pass through the neutral zone. He looked like he was paired often with White and Fitzgerald often so he seemed to be taking less risks in terms of pinches. Had two really good looks to the net, 1 ended up being a goal.

.Jacobs stood out the most in my opinion in the offensive zone. He made some really good passes to find open players and had some good give and go's to get himself in a shooting area. He could have easily buried a few, just missed the net going high.

.Coleman was pretty physical all game and has some speed to his game. Noticed him mostly breaking up plays and causing turn overs for the other team. He also had a few good chances, one being a breakaway.

.Hrabarenka looked solid. Didn't do anything flashy or anything just played really well at both ends of the rink, later ended up getting a goal (although I felt like it was a softie by Blackwood). He was probably the most affective dman for the white team.

.I felt the same way about Pietila as I did Coleman. Used a lot of his speed to break up plays had a few really nice hits and wasn't afraid to get into the corners. Reminds me a little bit of Parise, very doubtful he turns into anymore more than a 3rd liner though.

Kalinin, looks like he can be a pretty solid NHLer. The guy has some speed, made some nice passes and looks to the net. He was on a breakaway and was tripped up but rather than giving up he pushed the puck up and Kerfoot picked it up to score. He also scored in the shootout where he roofed it on the backhander.

Overall it was a fun event, glad that something like this was finally open to the public. It was pretty cool seeing the openness of people on the organization. Saw Lou, Hynes, and Dano talking to fans (they were sitting at tables roped off but close enough for people to talk to them/get pictures with.) And after the event they had the players skate around and throw signed pucks out into the crowd.

• Like 3

Cool reports, guys - like hearing about Zacha, as reads are so important - from highlight reels it's clear he has the physical skills to be an NHL player, less clear about his ability to read the play, both offensively and defensively.  Sounds like a good time apart from the game, too.

Impressions from the Event:

First it was well run again.  They had music and Dyno was wondering around talking to people.  Hynes was up just walking around for a bit also at the intermission, chatting with some fans and other Devils staff.  Saw some of the rest of the staff as well.  Had a little goal horn and song each time these guys scored.  Crowd was good everyone cheered for every goal it was a good event.

So i was surprised also to see the white team win but hey its hockey you never know. Im not going to give something on each player.  If i dont talk about someone you want to know about ask me and ill do my best to answer. 

Red team impressions: 

- Blackwood - got lite up! Not question about it.  He is better then he showed i believe.  They were picking corners on him a lot.  Kerfoot made him look bad on a break during 3v3.  

- Severson - Clearly the best player on the ice.  His poise and D were better then everyone.  Really nice goal he got to.  Top self over the blocker from the circle.  

- Zacha - Had a much much better showing today.   He made some nice passes, he had great speed through the zones, was much more physical this time around.  He also found Severson for his goal.  He had a nice break away but someone was offsides so he never got a chance.  Also his defensive game is much better then i imagined.  He made a bunch of nice stick check plays, he does a good job of finding the passing lanes.   He took a huge slap shot that nearly took Jacobs leg off, he was hurting. 

- Santini - Looked really good i thought.  He made a bunch of good d plays.  Took a couple of guys to the boards to wash them out.  Event threw a hip check at center ice.  He also made a great pass from the goal line up to center ice and hit the forward in stride.  He looked very good. 

- Coleman - I would say he might have been the best forward on the ice.  He was physical, strong on the boards.  Had a couple nice shots and passes that created shots.  He did very well.  I would be shocked if he doesnt push for a roster spot in the fall. 

- Kujawinski - With Coleman might have been the best forward on the ice.  He was great on the forecheck when he got in there.  He showed a lot of speed and skill along the boards.  Played very good defense, hard shot.  I was impressed with him today for sure. 

- Colton White - I was really impressed with him.  He has great mobility, a good first pass, isnt scared to take the puck up the ice himself if he needs to.  He seemed to always be in a good position to defend incoming forwards.  Smart with his passes as well.  This kid might be a nice find. 

- Tyler Kelleher - The only reason im talking about him is because he was great at the 3v3. Today not so much, the kid was getting tossed all over the ice and couldnt make things happen at all.  I see why he was never drafted.  

Alright on to the White team:

- Appleby - He looked much better today. Made some nice saves was square to the puck and wasnt out of position to often.  

- Raman Hrabarenka - He had a nice goal from the point, he also had some physical play.  

- Sergey Kalinin - He didnt show anything in the first.  He did however show something in the second.  He was much more impressive.  He played more physical he looked better when he had the puck and did a good job in the faceoff circle when he was there. He had a break away he was tripped on but ended up in a goal so he never got to take a shot. He did seem to go for the front of the net a lot.

- John Quenneville - He looked good, good skater, had a nice couple of players but i didnt notice to much he did bad. 

- J.D. Dudek - He had some nice little players.  Clearly a playmaker and goos skater.  I think after a little college time he will be pretty good. 

- Alex Kerfoot - Has really good hands,  made Blackwood look silly 2 times.  Other then that didnt see to much during the game from him. 

- Miles Wood - Didnt see much in the first, but the second he was much better.  He was more physical, we had part of the first goal because he was right in Blackwoods face digging for the rebound.  He had a couple really nice passes that lead to good shots.  I think he is about as big as Santini.  

- Joshua Jacobs - He played well couple of really great D plays.  Got it stick out on a 2-1 and prevented a goal most likely.  He also took a shot off the leg from Zacha, it clearly hurt him bad. 

Well i didnt mention everyone but i got a large group of them.  If you want any information on anyone else let me know and i will do my best to let you know what i saw. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the reports guys! I really appreciate it.

There are definitely some things to get excited about. With Jacobs in the mix now, the Devils defense is going to be ridiculous in a couple years. I'm looking forward to seeing what Wood can do at the college level. He seems like he may be a nice surprise.

Sounds like Conte did an awful job recently.

Happy to hear these encouraging reports

It's a prospect scrimmage... a prospect scrimmage.

Great event, regardless, and hope these kids pan out in the National Hockey League.

Edited by DJ Eco

Sounds like Conte did an awful job recently.

Happy to hear these encouraging reports

Yeah man, this scrimmage makes me think half of the guys owned by NJ will make it cause they played well in development camp. Get real. 29 other fanbases are raving about their development scrimmages as well.

Edited by Mayday

Thanks for these recaps and details! I was hoping to get good feedback from TG's blog, but haven't been able to access it the last day or so.

Hope I can go to this event next year. Sorry if I missed this in the thread-- what would be a fair estimate for the crowd size of this event?

I would say 600 to 700 give or take. I don't know what the capacity is for the practice rink but it definitely looked like everyone who got tickets showed up cause it was as crowded as it could be.

Thanks for these recaps and details! I was hoping to get good feedback from TG's blog, but haven't been able to access it the last day or so.

Hope I can go to this event next year. Sorry if I missed this in the thread-- what would be a fair estimate for the crowd size of this event?

Holy crap, an Iggy sighting! Haven't seen you around in awhile (granted, I don't read as closely as I used to), hope alls well on your end

Like this from Zacha here, the breakout isn't great but he knows where Lorito's stick is going to be and pulls the puck around it (I don't think this is a move he'll be able to make much in the NHL), then makes a nice pass to get into the zone:

Zacha also had a nice play where he surprised a defenseman at the point by jumping up and putting pressure on him. Zacha almost sprung himself on a breakaway there. Point being, it looks like he's comfortable using his stick in tight spaces which isn't a trait normally associated with a bigger player.

Like this from Zacha here, the breakout isn't great but he knows where Lorito's stick is going to be and pulls the puck around it (I don't think this is a move he'll be able to make much in the NHL), then makes a nice pass to get into the zone:

What a fantastic video - interviews thrown in right after the specific highlight.

Love the direction the Devils have taken here. Much more fan friendly.

Thanks to everyone for the reports!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The event yesterday was great. I was able to get Severson's and Quenneville's signature on my hat as well as a Reid Boucher signed puck.

One of the players I noticed a lot was Chatham. He had a few good offensive zone entries an a handful of really nice cross ice passes.

I was told after the scrimmage that the ice was really bad and it seemed to me like the puck was bouncing a bit more than usual so I I kind of believe it.

Also I filmed the scrimmage if anybody was interested in watching it. I'll give a warning; I'm no cameraman and this is from my phone but I think it actually came out relatively ok.

• Like 1

The event yesterday was great. I was able to get Severson's and Quenneville's signature on my hat as well as a Reid Boucher signed puck.

One of the players I noticed a lot was Chatham. He had a few good offensive zone entries an a handful of really nice cross ice passes.

I was told after the scrimmage that the ice was really bad and it seemed to me like the puck was bouncing a bit more than usual so I I kind of believe it.

Also I filmed the scrimmage if anybody was interested in watching it. I'll give a warning; I'm no cameraman and this is from my phone but I think it actually came out relatively ok.

Wow. Thanks man! Can't wait to watch when I have some down time

Dude thats awesome and better quality then some of the college ones we see online. Gonna watch it tonight