David Conte Out

Derlique

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=774427

“David and I have had numerous discussions regarding his future. Based on our conversations, I believe it is in the best interests of our organization for David to pursue other opportunities and to not renew his contract,” said Shero. “I would personally like to thank David Conte for his 31 years of service to the New Jersey Devils organization. His contributions to the success of the hockey operations department have been immense. The search for his successor will begin immediately.”

Definitely saw this one coming. I am not disappointed. He had a lot more misses than hits over the past several years and is a big reason we're in the mess we're currently in. 

For the best, although I'm not expecting any miracles.  Drafting is probably 85 percent luck, and that might be a low estimate.  I doubt there were many scouts that were predicting that say Tedenby would be a bust.  It's also difficult to know how much is on the scouting staff, and how much is on prospect development.  

Marginalization of Lou's crew continues. I really hope Lou gets fed up and goes f-this.

Rich of Shero to let him go considering his drafting record with the Pens.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA of course I expect nothing less but this response from you.

I really wonder if the goalie they drafted a couple of weeks ago was his choice and that's what sealed his fate.  Regardless while I don't think his recent record was horrible, it wasn't great either.  Let's see what a new perspective does before we automatically deem it a failure.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1

I really wonder if the goalie they drafted a couple of weeks ago was his choice and that's what sealed his fate. Regardless while I don't think his record was horrible, it wasn't great either. Let's see what a new perspective does before we automatically deem it a failure.

My feeling is that Shero already knew he would be dropping Conte, so I'm sure Shero made the final decisions on everything in the draft. I think he had the professional courtesy not to let his head scout go before a draft he'd spent the last year scouting for.

I really wonder if the goalie they drafted a couple of weeks ago was his choice and that's what sealed his fate.  Regardless while I don't think his recent record was horrible, it wasn't great either.  Let's see what a new perspective does before we automatically deem it a failure.

According to TG, Conte basically expected this would happen well before the draft. 

Interesting.  I wonder who found Brodeur ...31 years with the team...was it him?  I am guessing Neidermayer, being the 3rd pick, was probably obvious to all, but Brodeur was 15th...seeing as how he turned out, I am guessing the 14 teams before us would have taken him in a heartbeat, even teams who may have already had great starting goalies...

My feeling is that Shero already knew he would be dropping Conte, so I'm sure Shero made the final decisions on everything in the draft. I think he had the professional courtesy not to let his head scout go before a draft he'd spent the last year scouting for.

Agreed, there's no way Shero only decided this after the draft and let Conte call the shots. He probably kept him around until the draft so that he could keep the scouting info and now its time to move one.

Really even if you support Conte you have to agree that if you're gonna rip the band aid off you need to go all the way, no half measures. Conte has been working with the same GM for 30 years so I'm sure it would have been a struggle for him as well. Better to start fresh now with a team that's all on the same page.

Interesting.  I wonder who found Brodeur ...31 years with the team...was it him?  I am guessing Neidermayer, being the 3rd pick, was probably obvious to all, but Brodeur was 15th...seeing as how he turned out, I am guessing the 14 teams before us would have taken him in a heartbeat, even teams who may have already had great starting goalies...

He became head of scouting in 93, was assistant director of player personnel before that. Marty was drafted in 90 and nieds in 91. So he probably had some say in both selections.

With first rounders I don't think anyone "finds" them per se, its probably more of just a debate among the scouting staff as to who warrants the selection more.

This was the right thing to do. sadly, but this (scouting) portion of this team might be the biggest  "good ole boy" network existing in the organization

? I hope we get someone from Lightning, or someone with fresh ideas.  Good luck Mr. Conte.

Lol_the_simpsons_party_hard_gif.gif

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY, I'm loving the start of Shero's tenure here.  Love this.  FINALLY someone has the balls (and ability) to come in here and clean house as necessary.  

Nothing against Conte personally - but his record of drafting forwards is complete sh!t.  Let alone the fact that, unless I'm forgetting someone, we haven't seen a pick of his from the 3rd-7th rounds besides Henrique make the Devils roster in ages.

Edited by Devilsfan118

One of the luckier things that happened to the Devils was the Sharks coming into the league that year and being allotted the number 2 pick, which the Devils would have had otherwise.  Falloon was the consensus number 2 pick, and the stuff you hear is that the Devils would have taken him instead of Niedermeyer if he were available.

The scouting staff definitely had their eye on Marty, and traded back with the intention of selecting him.  Whether it was Conte's doing specifically, no one really knows.

On a related note, a guy I sit next to at games who is fairly tuned in to things, believes that the Devils drafting really went down hill after a specific person in the scouting department left, although I don't recall whether he said it was voluntary or if he was fired. 

Brodeur was drafted 20th overall, and Lou actually traded DOWN to get him (from the 11th pick)...Calgary badly wanted Trevor Kidd (who was the "hot" young goalie at the time), so they were willing to move up to get him.

Devils got Calgary's first-rounder and two second-rounders (Calgary held Detroit's and Minnesota's 2nd-round picks from previous deals) for the Devils' first and second round picks. 

BTW the two 2nd-rounders for the Devils did little.  They took D David Harlock with the 24th pick and RW Chris Gotziaman with the 29th pick.  Harlock played in 212 games in the NHL (none with the Devils), and Gotziaman never made it.  Calgary didn't get much out of their second-round pick either...LW Vesa Viitakoski played in just 23 NHL games over three seasons.

re:  Conte...yeah, nice run, but time for a change.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976