David Conte Out

Derlique

Interesting.  I wonder who found Brodeur ...31 years with the team...was it him?  I am guessing Neidermayer, being the 3rd pick, was probably obvious to all, but Brodeur was 15th...seeing as how he turned out, I am guessing the 14 teams before us would have taken him in a heartbeat, even teams who may have already had great starting goalies...

Well every single team pretty much have that, plus 15th is still really high. Red Wings have Datsyuk and Zetterberg who went super late, 23 teams went over Lidstrom TWICE etc etc

I think the cup finals showed 2 teams with a really good scouting department. Of course outside of Toews, Kane, Stamkos and Hedman... their depth is really good and filled with great 2nd,3rd,4th round picks.

Brodeur was drafted 20th overall, and Lou actually traded DOWN to get him (from the 11th pick)...Calgary badly wanted Trevor Kidd (who was the "hot" young goalie at the time), so they were willing to move up to get him.

Devils got Calgary's first-rounder and two second-rounders (Calgary held Detroit's and Minnesota's 2nd-round picks from previous deals) for the Devils' first and second round picks. 

BTW the two 2nd-rounders for the Devils did little.  They took D David Harlock with the 24th pick and RW Chris Gotziaman with the 29th pick.  Harlock played in 212 games in the NHL (none with the Devils), and Gotziaman never made it.  Calgary didn't get much out of their second-round pick either...LW Vesa Viitakoski played in just 23 NHL games over three seasons.

re:  Conte...yeah, nice run, but time for a change.

Whoops, yeah 20th, not 15th.  I knew it was somewhere around there, was hoping my memory would serve me correct :-p  Even more so, just proves that even more teams overlooked him, and we, (perhaps Conte), saw something in him, to the point where we actually would trade down. 

Rich of Shero to let him go considering his drafting record with the Pens.

Shero got fired from his job. And now Conte's getting fired from his. By that ^^^ logic, no one should get rehired anywhere for any reason ever. 

If he hires his old Pittsburgh scouting guys, I'll say your criticism is warranted, but otherwise, what's the point?

Edited by DJ Eco

I actually like that Conte isn't there anymore.  That was one of the generally help opinions that I shared as well.  I don't know if it was a part of Conte's job too, but it seemed like a lot of the ineptitudes of our drafting were covered up by UDFAs, especially defensemen.

I actually like that Conte isn't there anymore. That was one of the generally help opinions that I shared as well. I don't know if it was a part of Conte's job too, but it seemed like a lot of the ineptitudes of our drafting were covered up by UDFAs, especially defensemen.

That's a plus by him and the scouting staff. Lose Stevens, and Nidermayer, then Rafalski....finding Greene, Oduya and to a much lesser extent, Mottau was really good work from everybody. He drafted Martin too, who they also lost in free agency.

I actually like that Conte isn't there anymore. That was one of the generally help opinions that I shared as well. I don't know if it was a part of Conte's job too, but it seemed like a lot of the ineptitudes of our drafting were covered up by UDFAs, especially defensemen.

He was involved in getting Rafalski and Madden and UDFAs generally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shero got fired from his job. And now Conte's getting fired from his. By that ^^^ logic, no one should get rehired anywhere for any reason ever. 

If he hires his old Pittsburgh scouting guys, I'll say your criticism is warranted, but otherwise, what's the point?

It is warranted now. I'm not saying Conte has been a drafting guru over the past 10 years, because he clearly has not. However, he has added Henrique, Josefson, Larsson, Gelinas, Severson, Merrill, and Boucher to the NHL roster or the cusp of it. 

We have amazing d prospects and our forward pool is getting stronger, he deserved more time, and so did Lou for that matter. 

Expect his Pittsburgh guys to fill the void. 

Edited by William D'Aquila

It is warranted now. I'm not saying Conte has been a drafting guru over the past 10 years, because he clearly has not. However, he has added Henrique, Josefson, Larsson, Gelinas, Severson, Merrill, and Boucher to the NHL roster or the cusp of it. 

We have amazing d prospects and our forward pool is getting stronger, he deserved more time, and so did Lou for that matter. 

In what universe is our forward pool getting better?

In what universe is our forward pool getting better?

Zacha certainly helps. 

Matteau is a for sure NHL player. In fact, you can make the case that after the 28th pick the Devils drafted the two best players that were remaining in Matteau and Severson. 

A year from now when the luster of Shero has worn off, don't say I didn't warn you. I'm not buying into empty rhetoric of fast, attacking, supportive.

The past two months have been a systematic destruction of everything this organization stands for. Stevens and Brodeur are pushed out of the organization, Lou is a sinecure, and David Conte is let go. In the coming weeks, it wouldn't surprise me if Lemaire is put out to pasture. 

Zacha certainly helps.

Matteau is a for sure NHL player. In fact, you can make the case that after the 28th pick the Devils drafted the two best players that were remaining in Matteau and Severson.

A year from now when the luster of Shero has worn off, don't say I didn't warn you. I'm not buying into empty rhetoric of fast, attacking, supportive.

The past two months have been a systematic destruction of everything this organization stands for. Stevens and Brodeur are pushed out of the organization, Lou is a sinecure, and David Conte is let go. In the coming weeks, it wouldn't surprise me if Lemaire is put out to pasture.

I don't think there was anything wrong with drafting Matteau, but Tanner Pearson has proven to be much better. (The problem was the hubris in keeping the pick, although apparently the gamble was the hope that Vasilevsky or Subban would be available at 29).

And Marty? What exactly leads you to believe that he would be a good executive? Maybe he will be, maybe he won't, but just because you were a great player doesn't entitle you to a front office position. The Rangers appear to be much better off by cutting ties with Messier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zacha certainly helps. 

What are you talking about?  Brodeur was by no means "pushed" out.  He was out-played and then for whatever reason, Brodeur DECIDED to leave and work with St. Louis, so that isn't on "The new regime".  You can't believe that.  Lemaire does not have a huge role in this org. and is too old to contribute in any major capacity.  There is a huge difference between holding failure accountable and unshakable loyalty.  Do you even know Lemaire's position in the org without looking it up?  Come on man, Lemaire doesn't make any huge decisions in the org.

Stevens I have no idea, but let's be honest, he'll find work somewhere, who isn't looking to give a Hall of Fame player a chance to be a part of a coaching staff?  Yeah, it's nice to have former players from your organization come back and coach, but if your hypothesis is true, why is Sergei Brylin still a part of the AHL staff?  I think if you're looking to blame someone for "Penguin-izing" the team or something to that effect, you should blame Hynes, because Hynes probably played the biggest role in deciding his assistants.  

You can appreciate the loyalty shown by Lou and I know I sure as hell do appreciate the loyalty he showed some of the players, such as Elias and Brodeur.  I think that the Devils certainly had a specific set of values and traditions that helped define the team over the years, such as sometimes detrimental loyalty, but also really great things such as little trademarks and traditions of Lou's reign, and you have every right not to buy into it, but personally I'm finding it hard not to at least be excited for the new product and direction of the team.   

I know you're scared and that change is scary, but it'll be okay.   :thumbsup:

you start off by saying he hasn't been good then go on to defend his picks, so clearly he did not "deserve" more time. He had ten years and hasn't produced quality at a decent rate. At best you could say we owed him another year out of loyalty and that is even a stretch.

The guys you named are a generally underwhelming body of work when compared to his peers around the league. Larson was a #4 pick and a no brainier, if anything he hasn't lived up to the pick so far. Gelinas looks to be questionable as a 3rd pairing D and Merrill and severson look solid but it's early. Josefson has been a disappointment.

You name these seven who are decent but nothing great and don't mention the dozens of other picks that haven't hit at all. We have one of the worst prospect pools in the league. This is not debatable and the fact that you are trying to defend this or twist it into something it isn't once again shows your bias.

I don't think there was anything wrong with drafting Matteau, but Tanner Pearson has proven to be much better. (The problem was the hubris in keeping the pick, although apparently the gamble was the hope that Vasilevsky or Subban would be available at 29).

And Marty? What exactly leads you to believe that he would be a good executive? Maybe he will be, maybe he won't, but just because you were a great player doesn't entitle you to a front office position. The Rangers appear to be much better off by cutting ties with Messier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marty studied a lot of tape as a goaltender, it is how he remained effective for so long. The foundation is there for him to be a good executive and a possible GM in the future. 

What are you talking about?  Brodeur was by no means "pushed" out.  He was out-played and then for whatever reason, Brodeur DECIDED to leave and work with St. Louis, so that isn't on "The new regime".  You can't believe that.  Lemaire does not have a huge role in this org. and is too old to contribute in any major capacity.  There is a huge difference between holding failure accountable and unshakable loyalty.  Do you even know Lemaire's position in the org without looking it up?  Come on man, Lemaire doesn't make any huge decisions in the org.

Stevens I have no idea, but let's be honest, he'll find work somewhere, who isn't looking to give a Hall of Fame player a chance to be a part of a coaching staff?  Yeah, it's nice to have former players from your organization come back and coach, but if your hypothesis is true, why is Sergei Brylin still a part of the AHL staff?  I think if you're looking to blame someone for "Penguin-izing" the team or something to that effect, you should blame Hynes, because Hynes probably played the biggest role in deciding his assistants.  

You can appreciate the loyalty shown by Lou and I know I sure as hell do appreciate the loyalty he showed some of the players, such as Elias and Brodeur.  I think that the Devils certainly had a specific set of values and traditions that helped define the team over the years, such as sometimes detrimental loyalty, but also really great things such as little trademarks and traditions of Lou's reign, and you have every right not to buy into it, but personally I'm finding it hard not to at least be excited for the new product and direction of the team.   

I know you're scared and that change is scary, but it'll be okay.   :thumbsup:

There is a distinct possibility that Lou was not able to offer Brodeur the position he deserved. You don't find it weird that he retired in St. Louis?

Lemaire is a special assignments coach, and scouts the Florida teams. 

you start off by saying he hasn't been good then go on to defend his picks, so clearly he did not "deserve" more time. He had ten years and hasn't produced quality at a decent rate. At best you could say we owed him another year out of loyalty and that is even a stretch.

The guys you named are a generally underwhelming body of work when compared to his peers around the league. Larson was a #4 pick and a no brainier, if anything he hasn't lived up to the pick so far. Gelinas looks to be questionable as a 3rd pairing D and Merrill and severson look solid but it's early. Josefson has been a disappointment.

You name these seven who are decent but nothing great and don't mention the dozens of other picks that haven't hit at all. We have one of the worst prospect pools in the league. This is not debatable and the fact that you are trying to defend this or twist it into something it isn't once again shows your bias.

The last few years Conte was nowhere near his peak, but his peak was all time. He has hit on almost every defenseman the Devils drafted since 2008. The forwards have been an issue, but it is not like he took risks, as far as going off the board. The Josefson, Teddy, and Bergfors picks were all universally praised. They didn't pan out, but it happens.

Zacha certainly helps. 

Maybe...because they have either done absolutely squat and/or have been doing poor jobs. Enough with the sentimental BS. This is a pro hockey club not a family reunion meet up.

Marty studied a lot of tape as a goaltender, it is how he remained effective for so long. The foundation is there for him to be a good executive and a possible GM in the future. 

That's like saying every student in the world would be an excellent teacher because they spent a lot of time in school.