What are the positive you're gonna look at next season?

SterioDesign

Edit:  this was originaly a Conte post but realized there was another one already so i flipped this one into something else lol

So... we all know next season will likely suck just as much as the last one but what are the positive or stuff you will still be looking forward to?

for me i'm curious to see if schneider can continue his great work. Then obviously see what the new coach / philosophie will bring. And then see if the new management can fill the place and have better interaction with the fans (sure we dont have a great product to attract new fans now but still)

Edited by SterioDesign

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The big positive is, good or bad, we're going to finally figure out what some of these guys are capable of. Can Gelinas good outweigh the bad? Can Josefson produce on a line with better linemates? Can Boucher be a scoring threat in the NHL? Even if the answer to ALL of these is no, at least we'll know and the Devils will be able to adjust accordingly. Even if we suck, at least we're moving forward and building towards the future.

Edited by PWW

I'm hoping that prospects like Zacha, Quenneville, Speers and Jacobs crush it in the CHL.  If the Devils are going to return to relevance anytime soon, probably all of those players need to at least have the appearance of being above-average NHLers.  Zacha really needs to be dominant if he goes back to junior. 

That, and enough to keep hope alive that the defensemen the Devils have could turn into one of the best bluelines in the league in the foreseeable future.

Defense and goaltending. Which is why I'm so glad the "Devils-shoot-once" side is the cheapest price bracket for season tickets haha... It was a treat watching Schneider do his thing from that vantage point every game (really, the only positive aspect of our games last season).

Paying close attention to our young D this year will be a bigger treat.

Im looking forward to seeing which of the young defensemen take the next step. I'm also very interested to see how Palmieri does.

I actually like going into this season with no expectations. Im just going to watch Shero's plan come together

Same here.

Nothing against the remaining oldsters (especially Elias), but it will be a good thing when they've moved on.  I could see Lou signing up Elias for one more year if he was still the GM.     

I've been saying lately, I don't expect us to be very good, but I am very excited to watch this team play. I'm excited to see a younger, most likely faster team and I'm really curious to see what Hynes can do for our young defense. His philosophy of the defense activating more in the play I think is going to be excellent for Severson, expect a big season out of him.

I'm looking forward to the fast paced, attacking style they're promoting. Good or bad I also think we're going to start to see a lot of the changes to the franchise as a whole. I think that in itself is kind of exciting. We've been used to "status quo" for long.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

I'm looking forward to the fast paced, attacking style they're promoting. Good or bad I also think we're going to start to see a lot of the changes to the franchise as a whole. I think that in itself is kind of exciting. We've been used to "status quo" for long.

This is true.  It's also nice that the people that were predicting that Shero would get at least one "clear the crease" type defenseman in free agency appear to have been wrong. 

I'll go a bit against the grain since playing time for the younger guys and the defense in general has been said a couple of times. I'm looking forward to being able to go to the Rock for a Devils game as often as I please now that I'm back in NJ full time, I think I've been at 3-4 Devils home games over the last 5 years

i have no doubts that schneider will be standing on his head again for us next season, i think the D for the most part will look on point as long as the young guys continue to step up and fill in their roles.. i think like most of everyone else iam a bit sketched out with the forwards.. it could end up not looking so bad and then being quite ugly on the ice as the last couple seasons seemed to have been. I would really like for the team to trade something some how for a young skilled forward to help out a bit..with one more guy i think it could change the team a good amount.

i have no doubts that schneider will be standing on his head again for us next season, i think the D for the most part will look on point as long as the young guys continue to step up and fill in their roles.. i think like most of everyone else iam a bit sketched out with the forwards.. it could end up not looking so bad and then being quite ugly on the ice as the last couple seasons seemed to have been. I would really like for the team to trade something some how for a young skilled forward to help out a bit..with one more guy i think it could change the team a good amount.

I always keep hearing this magical trade that everyone has been waiting for and I don't think it will come.  We wait patiently every summer for and and yet it never happens.  The bolded has defined this team for the last 4 losing seasons and that's why changes are being made.  Every year as a board we've looked at our forward group and said, "Not great, but good enough to make playoffs.", especially last year  In contrast, every year we've looked at the defense group as, "Bad, but getting better every year."  

The defense has already made its emergence in terms of showing us some potential so I would simply point that the young forwards either A) Didn't get much of an opportunity or B) Did not succeed in their limited time 

I'll go a bit against the grain since playing time for the younger guys and the defense in general has been said a couple of times. I'm looking forward to being able to go to the Rock for a Devils game as often as I please now that I'm back in NJ full time, I think I've been at 3-4 Devils home games over the last 5 years

Oh! And another positive! I took a better job offer in Manhattan so I'm moving back from Miami, aka I'll be able to go to most of the home games!

Yup same here. Graduated and have a job in the Princeton area which is an easy train ride to Newark. Sucks that when I have disposable income, they suck, but oh well!

I'm hoping to see the offense get younger, and see how the D continues to develop. I'm basically all positive for the new season - we've had big changes in coaching and management so there is a 'new' vibe that should be good to see. I thought that about J Mac too but still positive :)