Sheldon Souray in the Players' Tribune

Daniel

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/sheldon-souray-retirement-letter/

Some funny Devils' relevant lines:

Lou Lamoriello: Thank you for pulling me into your office when I was an out-of-shape 20-year-old kid at his second New Jersey Devils training camp and saying, “If you ever embarrass this organization again by coming in overweight, you will never pull on a Devils sweater.” That was just the ass-kicking that I needed, and the tone you set for the Devils organization is why it is one of the most respected in hockey.

Scott Stevens: Thank you for being the most professional player I’ve ever witnessed. I still can’t believe you jumped in and fought Eric Lindros for me in a freaking preseason game my rookie year. I just wanted to prove to you that I had your back.  When I was traded to Montreal in 2000, it was a complete shock. I will never forget that you came to my hotel room and sat and bullsh!tted with me for hours until I had to leave for my flight out. You are the definition of what a captain should be.

Jacques Lemaire: Thanks for being the best coach I ever played for, and for developing a system that was so simple and brutally effective. 29 teams fvcking hated the trap. But we won a lot of hockey games with it, and we didn’t have to go over it 100 times a day on the whiteboard. It was always black and white with you, which is the way it should be.

Ken Daneyko: What kind of guy gets called into the GM’s office and is told he’s being sent to down to the minors and replies, “No … No, I’m not.” Then goes out for practice and convinces the brass to send somebody else down instead. You’re a legend, King.

Stevens will be a great HC one day.

Then why isn't he a head coach?  Right, the big Penguinization of our once great organization.  :rolleyes: 

William asisde, this is an awesome article.  I love every single one of those quotes by Souray, a lot of little gems in that article from our history.  

This is exactly how I imagined Stevens, Lou, and Dano to be.  

Then why isn't he a head coach?  Right, the big Penguinization of our once great organization.  :rolleyes: 

William asisde, this is an awesome article.  I love every single one of those quotes by Souray, a lot of little gems in that article from our history.  

This is exactly how I imagined Stevens, Lou, and Dano to be.  

Needs experience, but he is already a leader of men.

Needs experience, but he is already a leader of men.

Messier was as much as a leader as you can get, but there's little indication he'd be a good coach or good executive.

And then of course you've had great coaches who never played professional hockey, one of whom happened to be the head coach that won the Cup in 2003.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn't this why beetlesh!t got suspended last time? He makes this forum practically unreadable. EVERY thread is him with a tin foil cap on and scratching his balls

Every single one. Literally every thread, he comes in a derails it..

Ignore function is totally useless when everyone replies to his nonsense.

Maybe he's DM's stupid little nephew or something and his hands are tied as a result.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by Devilsfan118

Seems like a very down-to-earth (and also funny) guy.

SSDD with beetle...just another troll.

The Dano story is a bit curious, unless predated Souray's tenure here and he heard it 2nd hand, and no point during Souray's time in NJ would Dano be in danger of being sent to the minors...unless it was a post injury conditioning stint.

Interesting little story on old hard-ass Lou.

What did I say to derail the thread?

As someone who's been an outsider for months (years?) now and coming back in - I don't see anything you did in this particular thread to derail it. Seems to be carryover from previous arguments and issues coming into this thread, of which I am unaware.

It wasn't exactly the most on-topic response in the eyes of many, but I don't think anyone would take offense to the statement, "Wow, Scott Stevens will be a great head coach one day."

That aside... I love getting anecdotes like this from players, coaches, GMs, refs, scouts... I can't get enough of legit insights like these that can add some extra spice and personality to the names and faces we already know. 

And The Players Tribune has had some great hockey articles this past year. Kevin Shattenkirk's take on elite defensemen springs to mind, and Logan Couture's article on elite centers. Fascinating stuff.

Thanks for sharing this!

Stevens will be a great HC one day.

They said the same thing about Bryan Trottier and Willie Randolph too. Stevens has never been in high demand as a HC candidate anywhere. And now he's 51 with only one brief co-coaching stint under his belt.