2 years - One way contract for Matteau

SterioDesign

Well i saw today that they signed him and all but didn't really looked into it thinking mehh wtv... but it's a one way deal... quite interesting, looks like he's gonna be with the big boys this year

$575 000 + $650 000

kind of surprised there wasn't already a post about this?

i assume the lineup could be something like this... my god we have a terrifyingly bad group of forwards lol I made the joke already but we're so fvcking bad it's sick kids with cancer who's gonna come see our boys in support now, not the other way around

Cammalleri - Zajac - Palmieri

Elias - Henrique - Boucher

Matteau - Josefson - Ruutu 

Zubrus - Gionta - Tootoo

Larsson Green

Severson Merril

Moore Gelinas

Schneider

Edited by SterioDesign

Well i saw today that they signed him and all but didn't really looked into it thinking mehh wtv... but it's a one way deal... quite interesting, looks like he's gonna be with the big boys this year

$575 000 + $650 000

i assume the lineup could be something like this... my god we have a terrifyingly bad group of forwards lol I made the joke already but we're so fvcking bad it's sick kids with cancer who's gonna come see our boys in support now, not the other way around

Zubrus - Gionta - Tootoo

Larsson Green

Severson Merril

Moore Gelinas

Schneider

Zubrus and Ruutu will have a difficult time staying in the lineup under Hynes, maybe even Elias or Zajac could see time as a healthy scratch if I'm being daring.  

$575 000 + $650 000

Zubrus - Gionta - Tootoo

Larsson Green

Severson Merril

Moore Gelinas

Schneider

Cammalleri-Zajac-Palmieri

Elias-Henrique-Boucher

Matteau-Josefson-Kalinin

Gionta-O'Brien-Tootoo

Edited by RizzMB30

$575 000 + $650 000

Zubrus - Gionta - Tootoo

Larsson Green

Severson Merril

Moore Gelinas

Schneider

Matteau has to be with the big boys this year- he's no longer waiver exempt.

Zubrus and Ruutu will have a difficult time staying in the lineup under Hynes, maybe even Elias or Zajac could see time as a healthy scratch if I'm being daring.

lol I will eat a hat if either Elias or zajac are healthy scratches this year.

And yes I remember distinctly Tri complaining how matteau played more than 17 games his rookie year and it would mess with his waivers in the future, so that is the reason he is not exempt.

In the grand scheme of things, I'm not sure he's good enough for it to really matter.

agreed. If he's not ready to be a 3rd liner now then that's a bit of an indication where his career is headed. And add to that the fact that he really won't be taking ice time away from other guys here. I mean are we really going to be disappointed if he displaces the likes of ruutu, zubrus, etc?

agreed. If he's not ready to be a 3rd liner now then that's a bit of an indication where his career is headed. And add to that the fact that he really won't be taking ice time away from other guys here. I mean are we really going to be disappointed if he displaces the likes of ruutu, zubrus, etc?

Exactly. If he's good enough, let him play. If he's not, who cares if we have him under control for one less year? I get that he's young and "needs to develop", but I also see the logic in a trial by fire.

Exactly. If he's good enough, let him play. If he's not, who cares if we have him under control for one less year? I get that he's young and "needs to develop", but I also see the logic in a trial by fire.

Another great logic would be to avoid drafting guys who are only projected to be 3rd-4th liners with first round picks

As I said in another thread Matteau and Severson will be the two best players selected after the 27th pick.

And why exactly do you believe that about Matteau? Not because I disagree at all, just curious to read your opinion about him.

Edited by Devs3cups

Another great logic would be to avoid drafting guys who are only projected to be 3rd-4th liners with first round picks

The problem with this logic (especially re: 3rd-liners) is that they're important too, and can help your team win.  If you are able to find a potentially terrific 3rd-liner-type in the first round (say more towards the middle-end of that round) who has a good chance to have a long and successful career doing the less glamorous work that doesn't show up in the pretty-numbers categories (but the guy's usefulness is undisputed), is taking a guy like that automatically a poor decision by default?

SD's drafting approach: draft 1st liners

Foolproof! How was everyone else so silly?

In fairness to SD, who does sound simplistic sometimes, that's not what he really said...he didn't say anything about drafting 1st-liners only in his post.  I'm guessing he meant draft higher-upside types (like offensive D-men, first/second line-types, potential franchise goalie).  Fair enough, but if those guys aren't there, or the ones who fit the "glamour" roles are iffy, and there's a player available who looks like he can help and has specific skill sets...I don't have a problem taking that guy in the first round. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Well, let's be honest, it was the 30th pick. It's not like they picked him 6th. I'm not sure who was drafted in the second round, but I imagine whomever it was was not projected to be first line talent.

Strong along the boards, can skate, good hands around the net. He will like never be a first line player, but he will play over 1000 games in the NHL. 

I agree.

And when he was drafted and people complained that his projection is to be a Zubrus replacement, I was actually happy with that assessment. Teams need Zubrus players. Zubrus was a super underrated and necessary cog in the Devils machine for YEARS before hitting a sharp decline the past couple years. When we're young and super fast and zipping and zooming around the ice, we'll still need that Zubrus type player. 

I'll go beyond that and say, I think his ceiling is going to be a Chris Kreider-type player if he can work on his speed. He has the body, and the skills, I think, and showed some of those qualities during those last few games he was brought up for in April. We'll see.

Edited by DJ Eco

The thing that's important about the Matteau's of the world is that while they're under team control (RFA years), they provide you with cheap labor. It sucks when you have to pay bottom 6 guys 2-3 million. Now, of course it doesnt matter because I dont anticipate NJ will be near the cap in the next couple of years, but it is something to remember when we bitch about "drafting third and fourth liners"

Strong along the boards, can skate, good hands around the net. He will like never be a first line player, but he will play over 1000 games in the NHL. 

That's a big declaration. Great Devils players that never played 1000 games: Madden, Pandolfo, Brylin, Mckay among others. Claiming any non top line player to play 1000 games is a gigantic-ask, especially one who has not shown he is an NHL player yet.

Yeesh.. from your lips to Gods ears, but that sounds a little optimistic to me at this point.

I'm obviously not a talent evaluator, but it sure seems like he hasn't shown much yet to warrant such a statement.  I sure hope I'm wrong, though.

Edited by Devilsfan118

At this point I have more faith in Matteau making more of an impact on the team (in a positive way) than I see Boucher making one.

I think the 1000+ games statement is overly positive, but who knows at this point.  All I basically want out of him is a 3rd line grinder and so far from what I have heard and the small amounts of playing I have seen from him, that's what he has given.  Can't complain about that.

At this point I have more faith in Matteau making more of an impact on the team (in a positive way) than I see Boucher making one.

I think the 1000+ games statement is overly positive, but who knows at this point.  All I basically want out of him is a 3rd line grinder and so far from what I have heard and the small amounts of playing I have seen from him, that's what he has given.  Can't complain about that.

I have this point of view about Matteau.  I can't imagine he is going to be a Lucic type of player or a poor man's version of him with more longevity.  He is just going to be a role player on this team for some amount of time.  I moreso see the team keeping him for the duration of his RFA and then dump him because they have more, younger options that will be cheaper when they are better.  I'd hate to see him become a Bickell type of player but I feel like Shero won't allow that.