Lou is New Toronto GM

William D'Aquila

As for the Leafs, I have no idea how this is going to work. Not that we'll know much for a while, but it will be fascinating to see if Lou can adapt as a manager. He's got a ton of smart people to learn from, and he's going to need to lean on them for a while. I know TG said that Lou didn't go to Toronto to be part of some committee, but the Leafs had to be looking as Lou as a mentor for Dubas.

This is all before you consider such a strong personality in Babcock as head coach.

On another note, Dreger made his name for having every Leafs scoop. He's completely useless now.

Edited by devilsrule33

As for the Leafs, I have no idea how this is going to work. Not that we'll know much for a while, but it will be fascinating to see if Lou can adapt as a manager. He's got a ton of smart people to learn from, and he's going to need to lean on them for a while. I know TG said that Lou didn't go to Toronto to be part of some committee, but the Leafs had to be looking as Lou as a mentor for Dubas.

This is all before you consider such a strong personality in Babcock as head coach.

On another note, Dreger made his name for having every Leafs scoop. He's completely useless now.

Lou has been fine with coaches with strong personalities, see Pat Burns and Jacques Lemaire.  Apparently he has a pretty good relationship with Babcock.

I guess Shanahan was quite serious about changing the culture. 

Well it's pretty clear Lou wanted nothing to do with being marginalized and kicked upstairs.

He has lost something off his fastball though. And at 73 this season...not sure how long he'll be at this post anyway. But Lou and the Devs likely had a pretty nasty divorce behind the scenes

New ownership really asserting themselves

As much as I've often defended Lou and appreciate everything he did in an insanely long GM run...nothing about this feels wrong or sad.  I'm not at all sorry to see him go...I'm definitely not gleeful about it, but we all knew this day would come, and between the rough recent seasons and Marty's Devils career ending and Shero coming aboard, something like this simply doesn't come as any great shock at this point. 

That being said, suffice it to say we're no longer entering a Brave New World...we're firmly in it.  Time will tell if Harris, Blitzer, and Shero can carve out a legacy approaching Lou's and McMullen's.  But admittedly, I actually like that the door has closed on Lou's era.  At least it's no longer a "kind of sort of" scenario. 

Why are people shocked??/ this was a classic case of an old man staying on too long and not letting go... its sad he needed to be forced out.

Because when people have success & repeated success at that, there is always hope that there is another chapter to be written.  so whether it is # 30 or LL, people find it hard to let go & some (like me) dread them having their next chapter somewhere other than in NJ

Thanks Lou for everything!  Funny how it all works out.  Lou hard balling Shanahan which led to strong words from Shanahan regarding Lou.  Shanahan gets all pissy signs with St. Louis(plus the Blues offered him really big bucks at the time .  Lou wins arbitration and gets the Devils Stevens.  Some twenty plus years later Shanahan hires Lou.

..... Oh I forgot one minor detail of 3 cups!    B )

Well it's pretty clear Lou wanted nothing to do with being marginalized and kicked upstairs.

He has lost something off his fastball though. And at 73 this season...not sure how long he'll be at this post anyway. But Lou and the Devs likely had a pretty nasty divorce behind the scenes

New ownership really asserting themselves

Supposedly this all started to materialize about two weeks ago, so I don't think Lou had already decided he was out the door once Shero was hired. 

And I think ownership would have been fine with having Lou still being a part of the franchise in some capacity, if for nothing more than PR.  Lou's name and reputation brought a certain amount of prestige to the brand, even if it doesn't necessarily translate directly into ticket sales.  I mean, over the past few years, the Devils, for all intents and purposes, were a crappy small-market team, like Carolina is now or Florida for most of the last decade up until last season.  But with Lou in charge you got a different vibe than teams like that get when they're bad. 

He was the best, but he's probably done. He was certainly no longer the right fit for us by the end, and I say that despite being a Lou defender. I don't think he's a huge loss now, but I don't know how I feel about the future. We had a long, great run with Lou in charge, and we may never experience something that good again, which doesn't mean he had to be here forever, but it's a good time to remember the run he gave us.

This is probably the best / cleanest break possible for the Devils with Lou who is unquestionably a legend and deserves the lion's share of the credit for the Devils success over the past 25 years (but had to go).  

I think Lou's not very good at free agency at this point but I do think he can still negotiate a great trade.  I wonder if one of the reasons the Leafs decided to ultimately bring him on was to facilitate the dumping of Lupul, Phaneuf, and Bozak.  That team organization is so convoluted at this point I can't really keep track of it, but I really don't think he's going to enjoy anywhere close to the control he got in NJ.

But wow. Arguably the best coach in the NHL, and now one of the best GMs ever at the helm.. the Leafs might actually turn things around now.

If DM or MSweet has any intention of keeping this forum running, he won't be here - via Beetlebum, WD'A, or any other account he tries to make.

He was probably happier than a pig in sh!t when he got to break the news here. Beetle is one of the main culprits as to why I barely post anymore. We've lost a lot of good people from this forum because we for some reason like to tolerate trolls and give them a fair shake. People criticized me last time I called for his IP to be banned, but its so painfully obvious his endgame is only to troll.

We will lose more regular members again this year and eventually this forum will just be Triumph and CR yelling at each other in every thread while PK cries in a cob-web covered corner with her Stevens bobblehead.

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil
  • Like 1

Who said our summer had to be boring this year?  LMAO  :headless chicken: 

This is definitely a shocker.  While I never expected this from Lou, he still thinks that he can compete at the GM level and turn around what has been a joke of a franchise for years, and all the power to him.  I'm thinking he just is still looking for the challenge to compete.  I wonder how much of this was Lou being pushed out or fired; maybe we'll find out some day.  Wow.  I'm going to go digest this and wonder about a few things.  

1. Fired or looking for more of a challenge? Just why Lou?
2. Can he turn Toronto into a respectable winning franchise? 

3. What kind of Lou-isms and traditions(no number 13, Numbers remaining under 40, no ELC bonuses) will he impose on Toronto and how is he going to deal with that media hype?  There's going to be plenty of pissed off reporters and analysts that will be watching and sharply criticized.  
4.  Who is Lou going to bring with him to Toronto?  Conte? Stevens?
5.  I hope they don't change the Devils jersey or logo.  Attempting to put the Shero/Owner stamp on our franchise.  Don't want this, don't need this, and the Devils should stick behind this logo the same way as, say Detroit or Toronto.

This is kind of a sad day in Devils history, but it was bound to happen when you miss playoffs with this much consistency.  I'm happy that Lou gets another chance to prove himself, but he's going from a bad situation to another bad situation.  I suppose he just needs that control and wants to remain at the center of the on-ice personnel decisions.  Just like Patrik Elias, Marty Brodeur, Scott Stevens, and Daneyko, Lou will forever be remembered as someone who built this franchise into what it is today.  I look forward to the future with Shero, happy to look back with great fan-pride on what Lou and other honorable mentions have accomplished, and look forward to facing off against Lou and whatever he can ice against the New Jersey Devils.  

EDIT: Haven't read a few pages yet of the thread, but doing so now, just figured it seemed like a bunch of "ooh-ahh" comments.

Edited by RizzMB30

Although its tough to once and for all close the door, I'm genuinely happy for him...NO ONE has meant more to this organization than Lou, and anyone who has a clue knows that. I truly, truly hope that he gets a statue one day because if he doesn't deserve it nobody does. We as fans owe this man so much.

Man it will be hard for me to root for the Leafs but I'll have to try. Shero and Co have a tough act to follow.

Thank you for everything Lou, hope to see you back in the Rock for a ceremony eventually.

This doesn't really affect the Devils as an organization, as many people have sort of realized so far.  Lou was a puppet this offseason and he just left. 

I'm happy for Lou as a person.  He feels like he still has it in him to rebuild a team and he took an opportunity to show that he can.  I hope the 2nd best for him.

• Like 1

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!  :evilcry:

On the bright side this puts all kinds of my theories to the test!  I always think it's geographic - or  a karma of the specific location.  It will fascinating to see what Lou does there.  oh and ....BYE SCOTTY  :angry:  have fun back home  <_<

:giggle:

Oh I am absolutely thrilled for him.  I think it's a perfect change of scenery and he's got a great situation where he can see how to fix this kind of thing.  I mean -- I often go on about coaches learning in one pace hitting  a wall and then moving on - starting fresh with the same problem - except now you can move forward -  you can actually achieve the growth you need that you just couldn't get past in the previous position.  Pat Burns is such a great example of that -- always he grew with each team.  So it's horrific it's Toronto -- my LIFELONG -- life... it is in fact a multi-generational hatred for the Leaves. 

so... can we start a Toronto board here at NJdevs?  :unsure:

Edited by Pepperkorn