Lou is New Toronto GM

William D'Aquila

Well for all the guys Lou let walk and never even got a pick for them. Getting one for him is better than nothing lol

Isn't that sweet sweet irony?  I could grill it up in some spices and just go off.  

EDIT:  Oh yeah, cya later Beetlebum/William, even if he's not banned, I'm /ignoring regardless.  Give up your hard-on for Lou.  You're a joke and you contradict Lou's own team-first values in everything you write.  Lou built that value and tradition while here.  NO ONE IS ABOVE THE TEAM.  There's something wrong with you and you're a fraud.  

Edited by RizzMB30

Now both Devils on-ice and off-ice operations can truly be running in the 21st century.

Thats a nice plus

Devils are going to get a 3rd round pick out of this, so that's nice.  

So is this

Do they even have Panera Bread in Canada?

Thread winner

As much as I've often defended Lou and appreciate everything he did in an insanely long GM run...nothing about this feels wrong or sad. 

I just hope it was an amicable split. Would be very shameful if Lou was booted out/disrespected by the new owners.

5.  I hope they don't change the Devils jersey or logo.  Attempting to put the Shero/Owner stamp on our franchise.  Don't want this, don't need this, and the Devils should stick behind this logo the same way as, say Detroit or Toronto.

Agreed

Ok i'll stop multi-quoting now....

Edited by devlman

This is a classic sign of a man who was "ousted symbolically" and "downgraded" to a lesser position on his own turf and him getting revenge by feeling "wanted" somewhere else and uprooting and going that direction.  

It's funny that Lou didn't do what he kinda asked Marty to do...go off into the sunset on top.  Instead, he is still not calling it quits and this can taint his legacy much like Marty's curtain call was kinda tainted...

• Like 1

Pretty shocking. Lou was the Devils. He defined greatness and was old school. At the end, he lost something off his fastball. New ownership and bringing Shero in was the last straw. The Devils will be a much different team for media to cover and for their fans. More public and better PR. I'm surprised the Leafs hired Lou. But I guess his ties with Shanahan was too good to pass up. They're working together. Although I'm curious to see how it goes with Babcock. The Leafs just became more interesting. 

I wonder how Lou will deal with the media up there... You know how he is. I mean there couldn't be a bigger difference in the way a team is covered than between here and Toronto.

That's the only thing that amuses me about all of this, watching the Toronto media run for cover

Of course god forbid we have another couple of bad years and the Leafs make the playoffs this place and HF will both look like post a-bomb Japan

That's the only thing that amuses me about all of this, watching the Toronto media run for cover

Of course god forbid we have another couple of bad years and the Leafs make the playoffs this place and HF will both look like post a-bomb Japan

Well, it could be that way even if the Leafs are bad....I mean things are really bad when fans were crying that Scott Gomez and Steve Bernier weren't offered contracts. 29 other teams later said no thanks for now.

The Leafs and Devils will both be pretty bad for a while, so that angle won't happen. I'm pretty sure most people here have come to terms with this team being bad and are okay with it.

I agree with the sentiment that Toronto will be very much on my radar, however when Triumph has been consistently correct about Toronto sucking every year, I've been pretty quick to just brush them off as you would a fly or any other pest. I still very highly doubt that Toronto turns it around, even with Shanahan, Dubas, and Lou at the helm.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

EDIT:  Didn't need to post another reply, but some quotes from Daneyko are pretty awesome.  

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=775410&navid=DL|NHL|home&cmpid=nhl-fb

"It's like you lose your mentor, your friend," said Daneyko, now a broadcaster for Devils games on MSG Network. "He was like a father figure for me, for sure. But I'm realistic in understanding that things evolve, and I don't want this taken the wrong way, but we needed a different direction as well in New Jersey, as sad as that is."
 "I think Toronto is getting one of the greats of all time, that goes without saying," he continued. "It's bittersweet, I'll bet you, for Lou too. I wear the Devils tattoo on my heart and I know Lou did. I selfishly say there is nobody that cared more about the organization than 1 and 1A, me and Lou. I believe that in my heart."

"I'm definitely not shocked," Daneyko said. "Lou, with his personality, if the opportunity came, he wasn't done. He obviously didn't have a lot of input [with the Devils anymore] and that's just not Lou. So for me to say shocked? No." -Kenny Daneyko

One of the greats talking about another great.
Edited by RizzMB30

This is a classic sign of a man who was "ousted symbolically" and "downgraded" to a lesser position on his own turf and him getting revenge by feeling "wanted" somewhere else and uprooting and going that direction.  

It's funny that Lou didn't do what he kinda asked Marty to do...go off into the sunset on top.  Instead, he is still not calling it quits and this can taint his legacy much like Marty's curtain call was kinda tainted...

Honestly I don't think this is any sort of pettiness or hurt feelings on Lou's behalf, I mean let's be real I'm sure Toronto is paying him double what he was making here. I would also guess that Toronto was the one to reach out to Lou and not vice versa. 

For Lou, this is an opportunity to close the book completely on his tenure in NJ and leave no doubt in fans and media minds who is calling the shots here. It also let him keep doing what he loves.

Sure it would be a lot cleaner and nicer if he just rode off into the sunset but he loves the sport and wants to keep at it just like Marty did. I don't think he begrudged Marty for going to the Blues and I don't think we as fans should begrudge him for going to Toronto. I mean if you love your job and someone is willing to pay you good money for it would you retire?

And this does not in any way taint his legacy in NJ. Anyone who thinks that is lost.

Edited by dmann422

I don't wish Lou any ill will but I sure as hell am not going to root for the Leafs or follow them any closer just cause he's there. I hate their fans, they are the Rangers fans of Canada. Hate em.

Yeah I can't stand the Leafs, going back to the Domi/Sundin/Roberts/Joseph teams that we skullfvcked in the playoffs. Best to Lou, but fvck Toronto.

Pretty sure we have four 3rd round picks for next year now.

Nah, we have Detroit's 3rd and that's it.  We don't have our own third - that went to Pittsburgh - and I believe so did the pick that the Devils are getting from Florida for Jagr - that went to Anaheim for Palmieri.  I doubt Toronto lets us have next year's 3rd - they will probably wait until 2018.  And we got a 4th for moving down in the 2nd round this year, not a 3rd (as was previously reported)

Really never expected this to happen but good for Lou. If he still has the drive and passion then I'm happy for him to get another opportunity. It will be interesting to see how things go in Toronto with the mix of new and old school voices in management. I think this was a nice clean break for Lou and the Devils. I'm happy for both parties.

Nah, we have Detroit's 3rd and that's it. We don't have our own third - that went to Pittsburgh - and I believe so did the pick that the Devils are getting from Florida for Jagr - that went to Anaheim for Palmieri. I doubt Toronto lets us have next year's 3rd - they will probably wait until 2018. And we got a 4th for moving down in the 2nd round this year, not a 3rd (as was previously reported)

oh ok, I still thought that the trade with Ottawa gave us a 3rd. I knew we didn't have ours, but I thought we still had the one from Florida.