Lou is New Toronto GM

William D'Aquila

Between that image, and this:

pi-nhl-blues-martin-brodeur-12292014.vad

What the fvck kind of alternate reality twilight zone bullsh!t did I enter?

The same universe where a 72 year old coming off some bad seasons and  on a downward trend gets a 3 year deal. Go figure.

Lou had only one real interesting point during the press conference as it relates to the Devils.

“Maybe it was a process of the way things have gone in the last five years in New Jersey,” Lamoriello said. “There's a lot of things that have transpired there. Some are public and some are not with references to changes in ownership and I would say things just weren't the way they were in the past and you weren't allowed to do some of the things for financial reasons, to be perfectly honest, and it really started to change a little. And I think that when Josh Harris and David Blitzer came in, they changed that and I just thought that maybe there was a change in a thought process as far as a transition and I decided to look that way.

I have a bit of trouble with this. We all know the Devils had issues the last few years before the new owners came in financially. I'm not sure what the NHL allowed Lou to do or not, but perhaps not giving the funds or the 'okay' to sign Parise during the 11-12 season was one of them? Where else was Lou hamstrung? He got to sign Jagr, and Brunner, and Zajac long-term. He signed Greene and Schneider long-term. Had funds to sign Cammalleri and Clowe to big free-agent deals?

We know about the changes that Harris and Blitzer were looking to make in terms of wanting to know their ROI for these signings, but other than Parise....which by the way was massive, where was Lou handcuffed and not sure what was the point of him saying all of that. The Devils could be a cap team this year, and it would do almost nothing to help this hockey team. 

Lou had only one real interesting point during the press conference as it relates to the Devils.

I have a bit of trouble with this. We all know the Devils had issues the last few years before the new owners came in financially. I'm not sure what the NHL allowed Lou to do or not, but perhaps not giving the funds or the 'okay' to sign Parise during the 11-12 season was one of them? Where else was Lou hamstrung? He got to sign Jagr, and Brunner, and Zajac long-term. He signed Greene and Schneider long-term. Had funds to sign Cammalleri and Clowe to big free-agent deals?

We know about the changes that Harris and Blitzer were looking to make in terms of wanting to know their ROI for these signings, but other than Parise....which by the way was massive, where was Lou handcuffed and not sure what was the point of him saying all of that. The Devils could be a cap team this year, and it would do almost nothing to help this hockey team. 

It's hard to know what all the referants are in this statement by Lou, there's a lot of pronouns and it's also in Lou speak.  My suspicion is that Lou wanted to do more in the offseason of 2012 but was not allowed to, not just with Parise, but with other stuff - he signed Bobby Butler and had Stefan Matteau on the 1st line at points.  I can't imagine that's how he wanted to go into the season coming off the Cup Final.

This is a little weird.  When I read second hand accounts of those comments, I thought it was a reference to Vanderbeek.  Since it appears he's referring to Harris and Blitzer, did Lou have throwing a ton of money at Stastny in mind?  Or maybe he had expressed a vision of throwing a lot of money at the most recent free agent crop, or trading for Kessel, which would explain the "two forwards away" comments? 

People also sometimes have a tendency to speak imprecisely, so it could be that. 

His time was over. I'm excited for the new era with the Devils.

Agreed, since the lock out he has had trouble putting a truly competitive team on the ice...

I am a Leafs fan now.

Peace out have fun with Harris and Blitzer.

Don;'the let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out!!

i just went over to SBnation on the Toronto site... surprisingly they were all thinking rather rationally.

a lot of, "this doesn't make any sense..." sort of comments. I just picture our boy WD getting started over there like, "hell yea guys awesome right?!" and everyone just being like, go away

Edited by Onddeck

It's hard to know what all the referants are in this statement by Lou, there's a lot of pronouns and it's also in Lou speak. My suspicion is that Lou wanted to do more in the offseason of 2012 but was not allowed to, not just with Parise, but with other stuff - he signed Bobby Butler and had Stefan Matteau on the 1st line at points. I can't imagine that's how he wanted to go into the season coming off the Cup Final.

Who else was out there? Semin? I don't think there were many more impact UFAs then

Two sides to the spend story, on one hand he's indicating he was working with a limited budget and then on the other he throws away 4.8M on Clowe for 5 years. Spend wisely and he may have had more to show for it. Not saying every deal was bad but he made his share of bad ones along the way in recent years when he was given less to spend.

Also interesting to see Shero say now is not the time to spend to the cap max. Wonder if that's based on his vision of the right players not being available or that he doesn't have it to spend if he wanted to. Probably a combination of the two?

I have so many thoughts on this Devils offseason (my head is still spinning), but I think it's probably for the best that Lou heads elsewhere at this point. I do think Lou's hands were tied in the whole Parise contract deal (although I think they should have started negotiations way earlier), I don't think Lou was completely on board with the Kovy contract, etc., ... but the fact remains, Lou had plenty of horrible to head-scratching signings over the past 8 years or so. I also find it interesting that Lou jumped on board with Toronto - that media market and Lou are going to be like oil and water. The Toronto Make-BelieLeafs are a terrible team and they're not going to be good for a few years at the very earliest. Lou bristled at the slight media coverage he received in Jersey (status quo) so how is he going to function in the meat grinder of the Ontario media markets? It's going to be fun to watch. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the changes for the Devils - time will tell if they were the right moves or not. But the Devils, at the very least, are heading into the 21st Century where the Leafs are jumping into a time machine heading back to the 1980s. And the Devils wind up with a nice 3rd round pick to boot. So while I'll miss the glory days of Lou, Conte and Marty, I think the Devils are wise to move on.

• Like 1

Conte is next, and expect Marty to follow.

And watch the Leafs draft forwards who score 6 goals a year or never make it to the NHL? Lol. They can have all three. I'm grateful for new ownership. They finally did what needed to be done, how could anyone be upset at them? I dont get it.

From what it seems from what I've read, Lou is going to be the mouthpiece that deals mainly with the media and such and weigh in on deals. It just seems very strange that Lou would be very excited about doing this.

I said it earlier, but it truly is like we're in some kind of an alternate universe or something. Seeing 'Lou Lamoriello, Toronto Maple Leafs General Manager' on the screen when Lou is being interviewed or speaking with the media is going to take some getting used to. It's fvcking weird.