Lou is New Toronto GM

William D'Aquila

I think it's very likely Toronto has interest for Elias.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

i wouldnt be surprised if he were to be traded from both parties perspectives it seems like it would make sense.. i dont know about toronto though, would be kind of funny to see him follow lou over there though

i wouldnt be surprised if he were to be traded from both parties perspectives it seems like it would make sense.. i dont know about toronto though, would be kind of funny to see him follow lou over there though

I feel like Lou will try to hose us for Patty.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

I will miss Lou,  

He started the rebuild (even if he didn't say it) with the trade for Cory.  Just look at the D and their age.  Maybe most people want a full rebuild, but how many fans are gonna sit though that.  When johnny mac had that disaster of a start they couldn't give away tickets.  How long have the isles been rebuilding (been hearing they are taking the next step for years),  Oilers? Rebuilds are crapshoot.  Other than detroit, we have been the model franchise for 20 or 30 years.  Rangers missed the playoffs for 7 straight seasons and for as much talk as their fans have had.  1 finals in how long?  We made the finals while Lou supposedly has had the game pass him by.

but new owners, they want their stamp.  will it work, hope so, but i would have more faith if Lou was still part of the devils.  Hell Nets went to the finals twice with lou on board, he has a yankees ring as well.  I think Lou and his philosophy would succeed in most business.  

My favorite Lou story.

1 of the years Scotty Nieds was holding out.  A fan waived a bill in the air (single, maybe a 5) at Lou and said, that his is to help sign Niedermayer,  Lou turned around, took the bill, said thank you, turned around to walk away with a sh!t eating grin that made me laugh for a good five minutes.  The fan just stood there with his mouth open and didn't know what to say

Stood near where the stairs to the devils offices where in brendan byrne so I interacted with him a bit.  couple words here,  couple words there, but always polite / pleasant to us as fans. Many fans, are fans of this team because of Lou weather they know(admit?) it or not. 

what a spoiled fanbase,  Last 20 years, Lou, Marty, Nieds, Stevens and doc.  Not even gonna mention the short term greats that we may not have seen at their prime but you can tell you grandkids about

i don't think it's a coincidence that Lou left a day after the trade offer was leaked.  Must have been the last straw.

I don't know, do I need a sacr tag on that last comment? I think it's pretty funny but I'm an old fart now

What trade offer, the Columbus thing at the draft?  I mean yeah it's not something Lou would do (it helps Columbus a lot more to get it out there than it does us anyway, they wanted to prove they really did want Wierenski) but obviously it was the Conte firing that was the flashpoint and probably other things like letting Stevens go, letting Gomez/Bernier go.

Edited by NJDevs26

What trade offer, the Columbus thing at the draft?  I mean yeah it's not something Lou would do (it helps Columbus a lot more to get it out there than it does us anyway, they wanted to prove they really did want Wierenski) but obviously it was the Conte firing that was the flashpoint.

was more the fact that a trade offer leaked than the offer itself.

No rumors of Lou to toronto today.  That is how Lou operates, 

so io guess I did need the sarc tag

was more the fact that a trade offer leaked than the offer itself.

No rumors of Lou to toronto today.  That is how Lou operates, 

so io guess I did need the sarc tag

sacr didn't register with me, sorry.

I don't disagree that it's something Lou would never allow - plus it doesn't really benefit us - but by the same token the Jackets had to allow it too.  And a lot of these other teams let stuff out there (though it usually isn't as blatant who they're talking to), like Chiarelli with some of the Seguin trade negotiations.

Edited by NJDevs26

For the first time EVER it feels like the Devils are rudderless. Even during this sh!tty run of 2012-now, I always felt deep down...Lou will figure it out, Lou will change with the times, everything is OK as long as Lou is here, the good times won't last forever, he can right the ship.

Now he's gone, new ownership has forced him out and all of a sudden...it's like I don't know these Devils anymore.

I suppose it might work. It did when Jerry Jones kicked Landry to the curb, it didn't when the Isles forced Torrey out.

I think this ownership group did show patience with Lou. 3 straight years of no playoffs and no forwards at all is patient enough. Still if you'd ask me who I have more faith in going forward Lou/Conte or Shero/?...I'd say Lou.

For the first time EVER it feels like the Devils are rudderless. Even during this sh!tty run of 2012-now, I always felt deep down...Lou will figure it out, Lou will change with the times, everything is OK as long as Lou is here, the good times won't last forever, he can right the ship.

Now he's gone, new ownership has forced him out and all of a sudden...it's like I don't know these Devils anymore.

I suppose it might work. It did when Jerry Jones kicked Landry to the curb, it didn't when the Isles forced Torrey out.

I think this ownership group did show patience with Lou. 3 straight years of no playoffs and no forwards at all is patient enough. Still if you'd ask me who I have more faith in going forward Lou/Conte or Shero/?...I'd say Lou.

and all this time we always thought you hated lou

and all this time we always thought you hated lou

I never hated him. Some of his old school views he needed to cast aside but he's still a great hockey mind and a true organizational builder, even if he's clearly lost something off his fastball at 72.

Good riddance if that's his position.

Why "good riddance?" It would be a completely fair POV on Elias's part. He's spent his entire career on the Devils under one GM. At the end of his career, with a rebuilding team, he already serves to be a trade asset and to benefit from a trade. Now one of the only people still tying him to the team is gone and it only makes more sense for him to want to move on. I am not saying that's how he feels, but for you to say "good riddance" well...that's just dumb.

Did it feel in complete control with Lou over the last few years? Come on now. Some people are getting a bit too nostalgic. The Devils got the very best of Lou, Brodeur, Stevens etc. Organizations fall off a cliff with blind loyalty. It was time to move on from all of them. Lamoriello did not want to take a step back with this team. Furthermore, he didn't allow to the owners market the team properly. Is Shero a better GM than Lou? Maybe not, but he understands that the team they had last year was garbage and not a few forwards away. He was detached from that group, and can see that. The exact same way Lou is detached from the Leafs team in a way Nonis was not. Lou today said this team was far away. The previous GM thought otherwise.

To me this isn't a sad day at all. It's a great day for the Devils, and a great day for Lou. It was time for both of them to move on. The same way it was time for the Devils to move on from everyone else in the past. What made the Devils great in 95 and 2003 doesn't make the Devils great in 2015. 

• Like 1

Why "good riddance?" It would be a completely fair POV on Elias's part. He's spent his entire career on the Devils under one GM. At the end of his career, with a rebuilding team, he already serves to be a trade asset and to benefit from a trade. Now one of the only people still tying him to the team is gone and it only makes more sense for him to want to move on. I am not saying that's how he feels, but for you to say "good riddance" well...that's just dumb.

Thanks, well put, I agree

Did it feel in complete control with Lou over the last few years? Come on now. Some people are getting a bit too nostalgic. The Devils got the very best of Lou, Brodeur, Stevens etc. Organizations fall off a cliff with blind loyalty. It was time to move on from all of them. Lamoriello did not want to take a step back with this team. Furthermore, he didn't allow to the owners market the team properly. Is Shero a better GM than Lou? Maybe not, but he understands that the team they had last year was garbage and not a few forwards away. He was detached from that group, and can see that. The exact same way Lou is detached from the Leafs team in a way Nonis was not. Lou today said this team was far away. The previous GM thought otherwise.

To me this isn't a sad day at all. It's a great day for the Devils, and a great day for Lou. It was time for both of them to move on. The same way it was time for the Devils to move on from everyone else in the past. What made the Devils great in 95 and 2003 doesn't make the Devils great in 2015.

Exactly, lets move foward, we have lived in the past enough.

Lou taking out a full page ad in the Record was his usual class act.

Just seen Lou's full page letter in the record. Class act till the end. This is something I really hope Shero retains and tries to maintain.

Yeah, I'm glad to have TG reporting on this.  Maybe other people don't believe a lot of what they're reading from Lou, but I'm jumping on the "Shanahan and Toronto lured Lou away, and Lou still wanted to be making some decisions" boat, train, etc.  I trust Lou, but it makes me question him a little when he says, "After I decided to perform a transition".  Kind of like Marty going to Toronto, if he thinks he can still perform and make a difference somewhere, all the power too him.  I hope he succeeds, but not too much.  Best of luck to him and I'm looking forward to trashing Toronto whenever possible.  :cheers:

http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire-ice-1.174987/persistent-shanahan-convinced-lamoriello-to-leave-devils-for-leafs-spending-cuts-in-n-j-a-factor-1.1379721

“After I decided to maybe perform a transition and bring in Ray Shero and maybe take life a little easier and become president – it's something that (Devils' co-owners) Josh Harris and David Blitzer and I talked about a couple years ago – and become a lifetime Devil, Brendan, when he had the conversation with me says, 'I know you too well. This is not going to last long. So, I want you to think about something, just think about it and every time you eel that you're not in the fire or in the line, think about this conversation,'” Lamoriello recalled. “And it wasn't once he said that and eventually he got to me.”

we've all heard about mid-life crisis but is a "8/10 life crisis" a thing?

This made me laugh, although I do think you are being a bit unfair here.

He clearly feels he still has something to give, and let's be honest the man has probably forgotten more about hockey than the knowledge of the posters on this board combined.

He is a huge asset to any team. Considering the mantra from Toronto has been one of installing discipline and values to the team whilst acknowledging tradition is there a better man than Lou?

Clearly his time here was up, but there is nothing to say that his values and work ethic won't massively improve a team who have been piss poor for some time.