So now that Lou is gone...

'7'

I don't mind changes, I just really hope there is no complete uniform redesign. If you want to change the piping or minor things like that fine, if you want to wear the green and reds more often fine, but don't sell out and go crazy with alternates or even God forbid new primaries.

I don't mind changes, I just really hope there is no complete uniform redesign. If you want to change the piping or minor things like that fine, if you want to wear the green and reds more often fine, but don't sell out and go crazy with alternates or even God forbid new primaries.

Exactly, give us something new, like a 3rd, but no changes to the current primaries.

And for fvck's sake don't do what carolina did and abandon the black on our shoulders to look like Phx/Arz

I hope with the number rule that they keep the no 13. Would also suck if Cammy then decides to change from 23 to 13 and now you have a ton of people who bought Cammy jerseys last year with 23. I would be pissed if I got one.

How many devils players wore different numbers through their time here because of the 30 limit? Same thing.

Edited by SterioDesign

How many devils players wore different numbers through their time here because of the 30 limit? Same thing.

if the player left the organization for a period of times I can understand.

But if it's a player that keeps getting put in and out of the lineup or bounce up and down between Albany and NJ then I always found that to be complete crap.

I think numbers should be issued like Lou did. There were only a few exceptions i remember (Mogilny, Jagr, Gilmore) maybe a couple more.  I personally like green pants (shells). 

I'm more interested in the changes that Lou is going to force on the Maple Leafs.  I'm just praying that Shero and these guys stay loyal to the jersey and the logo.  Let's not get too creative.  I can see a black-based 3rd jersey in our future, but hopefully they don't go too crazy.  

As for the numbers, Tri is right, we have to allowed number up to 50 now... :doh1: Give the players their right to express themselves and use whatever number they

want.  They're giving their loyalty, but we aren't paying them for loyalty.  I'm actually okay with it, and I don't think that we should be keeping players from number 13.  If they want to test luck that's their choice.  I for one don't believe in luck. 

As for beards and such during the regular season, I understand how it might be perceived as a matter of professionalism and I didn't mind it, but let them grow whatever they want.  Parise tried to grow a playoff beard and eventually just shaved it off anyway.  

The no high numbers rule has to go, only because the Devils are going to end up retiring 4 jersey numbers below 30.  With that and 13 out, that leaves them with only 23 numbers to use for skaters.  The idea of having the same player wearing a different jersey number in the same year is confusing for fans and distracting for stat trackers, but it's inevitable when you only have 23 numbers for 21 skaters and you insist on always having a number below 30 used before one above 30 can be used.

26 will probably be retired in the next few years as well.

Personally, I could not care less about this issue. Makes zero difference whether they do or don't "allow" high numbers or whether 13 is in play or not. And that's coming from someone who wore #13 himself for years and for multiple sports.

In terms of a third jersey, I fall into the category of people who want the current design left alone and add a new third. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the old red and green, but I don't like the idea of making either of them a regular third. It's cooler to see them once a year. I'd rather see a new, modern third.

Hell, even if it was as ugly as the Buffaslug, I'd be happy to have a new style in my collection.

I'm just praying that Shero and these guys stay loyal to the jersey and the logo.

The Devils logo is great. It's timeless even though it was designed in the early '80s. Changing it would be a travesty.

I could probably live with a sh!tty stylized version of the logo like the Flyers had for a few years, but completely changing it -- no way.

The Devils have a uniform that still looks great even though it was designed 20+ years ago. There's absolutely no reason to change it other than for the sake of change.

The Devils logo is great. It's timeless even though it was designed in the early '80s. Changing it would be a travesty.

I could probably live with a sh!tty stylized version of the logo like the Flyers had for a few years, but completely changing it -- no way.

The Devils have a uniform that still looks great even though it was designed 20+ years ago. There's absolutely no reason to change it other than for the sake of change.

Agree and it's a change we don't need.

Agreed. Wouldn't mind a third, but don't touch the primary style. You can only make it worse, there's no improving it. Lou had that right.

The first logo looks like the Beast from Krull and the second one is just bad.

LMAO, holy sh!t, the first one does look like that!  Krull is kind of a "classic", in a goofy, not-all-that-good, cheesy kind of way (also had Liam Neeson and some other semi-knowns and up-and-comers)...part of the 3D rebirth of the early 80s (a lot of not-good 3D movies came out around that time, and it was the quality of those movies that led to the 3D thing dying out again for a while). 

Second is just a mild mod of what we already know...I like that it has some heritage sprinkled in.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

LMAO, holy sh!t, the first one does look like that!  Krull is kind of a "classic", in a goofy, not-all-that-good, cheesy kind of way (also had Liam Neeson and some other semi-knowns and up-and-comers)...part of the 3D rebirth of the early 80s (a lot of not-good 3D movies came out around that time, and it was the quality of those movies that led to the 3D thing dying out again for a while). 

Second is just a mild mod of what we already know...I like that it has some heritage sprinkled in.

lol I still don't know exactly why Krull was not more of a hit when it came out.  I think I remember reading it was a moderate at best hit at the time.  I guess because it was a little goofy and cheesy, but Return of the Jedi with the Ewoks was not that much different.

However, what makes Krull for me is that it has possibly one of, if not the best musical scores ever.  That's early James Horner (RIP) at his finest.  I wish more movie scores would sound like that.  Even that prolonged scene near the beginning of the hero scaling the mountains in search of the Glaive is a treat because even though he really isn't doing much, the music just makes it seem a ton more exciting that it is.

Great, now I will have to dust off my Krull DVD sometime this week haha.

The problem with actually trying to put a real Devil face on the front of a jersey is that just about every design of it is either going to look cartoony or become dated within four or five years.  It's the relative simplicity of the NJ with horns (and the fact that it ties in with New Jersey) that's allowed that logo to remain relevant, without ever looking silly.  I can't think of a single actual Devil face (or full-bodied version) that will ever remain timeless, or come close to having universal appeal.  They'll all likely be a "love it or hate it thing", no matter how they're depicted. 

• Like 2

I agree.  The closest the actual Devils theme became cartoony was the Lowell Devils jersey with the skating Devil.  That, however, was not bad IMO but after a while it would look stale and has the "minor league" look to it.

Since it has been a style lately for current NHL teams to hijack the looks and design of former NHL and non-NHL teams that they are not even remotely related to (Vancouver for Millionaires, current Ottawa with the former Senators, etc), why not the Devils take on the look of the old EHL Devils jerseys circa 1964-66?  I think it looks pretty good and not too cartoony even though it has a Devil on it and the colors are already there

JerseyDevilsJersey6467.jpg

JerseyDevilsJersey6467.jpg

Unfortunately this is exactly what I'm talking about...some people will definitely like this, but along with the likes you'll get a lot of "WTF is that?" and "That looks like something I could've drawn when I was 10" and "Man that looks real ECHL/AHL", among other things.  That's the real bitch...finding that Devil that will appeal to a vast majority.

Regardless of what a potential redesign might entail, I just hope that if it ever happen, that the designer doesn't try to go over the top with Devil/Hell references...such as flames within the numbers on the back, pitchforks somewhere on the uniforms, etc.  

well first of all isnt it about the jersey devil legend which is some horse looking beast with wings and a devils tail and not about Satan or wtv? So any satan face wouldnt really work

Yeah, but the strong presence of red in the Devils' color scheme from Day 1 kind of pushes the whole "Devils" thing in into Satan Devil territory more than Jersey Devil.

The whole look of the Jersey Devil is kind of obscure anyway...click on the link, and you'll see it's kind of hard to make the general look of the Jersey Devil translate successfully to a hockey motif:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jersey+devil&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMI6p6R7sT7xgIVi7YeCh1sowb_&biw=1920&bih=1105

SD, what would you come up with for a design?  It's guys like you who will ultimately be tasked with this. 

Unfortunately this is exactly what I'm talking about...some people will definitely like this, but along with the likes you'll get a lot of "WTF is that?" and "That looks like something I could've drawn when I was 10" and "Man that looks real ECHL/AHL", among other things. That's the real bitch...finding that Devil that will appeal to a vast majority.

Regardless of what a potential redesign might entail, I just hope that if it ever happen, that the designer doesn't try to go over the top with Devil/Hell references...such as flames within the numbers on the back, pitchforks somewhere on the uniforms, etc.

I like the EHL jersey a lot. vintage jerseys are cool looking.

Edited by slasher72