NJDevils re-sign defenseman Adam Larsson to a six-year contract.

MrBreeze

Zajac's deal is frustrating, but it's not really a big deal unless you think the Devils will be contending and need the cap space for a better player.

Which doesn't seem to be the case..at all.  At least for a few years.

And who knows, Zajac might have talent to work with by then that better complements him and leads to an increase in his glamour numbers...and suddenly no one's complaining about his cap hit anymore.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's a great deal, it's an average deal at best for a player who has yet to prove himself for a full NHL season, has a career -2, and who had one strong season after many people were calling for his head a season prior. On the plus side, he's young and has lots of potential. But I don't think it's a "great" deal because you don't know what you are gonna get.

I was wondering if I was the only one who felt this way.  Glad to see I'm not.

Don't get me wrong, I agree he has a ton of potential, and I think at this point it's looking like he can/might/should reach it, BUT, it's definitely an uncertainty.  I think locking him up for 6 years is a bit of a risk if he doesn't pan out.  I'm not gonna call it a bad deal by any means, but I don't think it's a "steal" just yet. 

I was wondering if I was the only one who felt this way.  Glad to see I'm not.

Don't get me wrong, I agree he has a ton of potential, and I think at this point it's looking like he can/might/should reach it, BUT, it's definitely an uncertainty.  I think locking him up for 6 years is a bit of a risk if he doesn't pan out.  I'm not gonna call it a bad deal by any means, but I don't think it's a "steal" just yet. 

The bolded:  definitely not a steal yet, but the good thing is that at least it has the potential to be.  UFAs tend to be overpayments from Day 1 by default. 

When was the last time we lost a RFA? We literally had 0% chance of losing him here. And didn't we do a similar deal for Henrique a few years ago? Let's not go overboard with the subtle knocks on Lou..

Sorry I missed this - you're right, I phrased that poorly.  I didn't intend for that to come across as a shot at Lou.  Should've said something more along the lines of "I'm excited that we're building our foundation here by locking up our core long term".

Zajac's deal is frustrating, but it's not really a big deal unless you think the Devils will be contending and need the cap space for a better player.

Which doesn't seem to be the case..at all.  At least for a few years.

I didn't intend to de-rail the thread when I asked my question.  I read on NHL.com mailbag article with Dan Rosen.  He argued that the first thing for the Devils need to do is acquire a no.1 center.  I wouldn't have disagreed completely, but Zajac has the ability to play in the top 6 and perform.  Zajac is our number one center on a "bad" day or our 2nd or 3rd center on a "good" day I guess would be the best way to classify him.  All of that being said, moving on now.  

Funny thing is.... one guy asked a little side question the other day adding "i dont want to derail this discussion" and he got jumped on for it eventhough it was basically on topic and a really small question.

And now this Larsson contract turned into a few pages of is Zajac a good or bad deal and the same people who jumped on that other guy for slightly derailing another discussion just join that discussion like there's no problem doing it lol

is it kind of like cops are off duties just wearing regular clothing? They don't really have to do anything unless they want to or? How does that work?

Funny thing is.... one guy asked a little side question the other day adding "i dont want to derail this discussion" and he got jumped on for it eventhough it was basically on topic and a really small question.

And now this Larsson contract turned into a few pages of is Zajac a good or bad deal and the same people who jumped on that other guy for slightly derailing another discussion just join that discussion like there's no problem doing it lol

is it kind of like cops are off duties just wearing regular clothing? They don't really have to do anything unless they want to or? How does that work?

We do drift off topic lately but then it is summer. I did get your point and I know the reference you referred to.

Actually, though Zajac has been brought up a lot, the better comparison (as far as the kind of contract Larsson signed) would be Henrique.  A deal where both sides take a risk, based on the player getting some fairly big money right away, and the team hoping he'll be playing below his market value roughly halfway into the deal. 

As the breakdown is 2015-16: $2.5 million. 2016-17: $3 million. 2017-18: $4.5 million. 2018-19: $4.85 million. 2019-20: $5.05 million. 2020-21: $5.1 million that's a pretty reasonable deal imo. Especially when you compare his $2.5 mil next year to what the likes of Clowe, Ruutu & Zubrus will be earning.

Yep, $11+ million down the drain each year for 3 players that don't even belong in the NHL anymore.

Good for Adam Larson... easily an excellent contract and amicale for both sides and the Devils future is looking brighter.

personally i dont care at all even if discussions are derailed a bit lol thats how discussions usually go in real life anyway. 

I know what you are referencing and I whole-heartedly agree. But the difference is that we want to include others in the discussion.  Some random new poster could click on this thread about Larsson and want to make a comment, but then reads more than half of it is about Zajac.  They could 1) think we are a bunch of crazy people or 2) not feel comfortable trying to bring the conversation back to what it should be about and doesn't post at all.  I have contribute to derailing just as much as everyone, but then everyone complains about extra threads that aren't "worthy" of being threads.  No one is going to be pleased, I would personally rather have no derailings and more threads that aren't that interesting me some people.

Sterio:  I'll address this because you are going to spend the rest of your time on this board sniping at me, apparently, though I fully welcome the obsession you have, and it's cool and good that you like making posts to someone who has you on ignore and doesn't really engage with you at all.  The Zajac discussion grew out of the Larsson discussion.  I don't like that it happened, but it's the summer and that's going to happen - that's the nature of threads.  If this board had stricter moderation, I wouldn't do it, or else the mod would pull out this discussion and stick it somewhere else.  If I were a moderator I would've kicked this thread back on topic, but since I'm not and there are 3 guys here who disagree with anything non-hockey I feel the temerity to express, why would I do that?  Regardless, it's not some poster asking 'What are the details of Zajac's contract?' in this thread - that is purposefully derailing the thread because he's too dumb and impolite to search the Internet for it.  This came out of the idea of long-term contracts.

Since you obviously realize from your follow up post that you don't mind derails, and you have derailed a million threads before this with the 3 things you like to talk about, it's exceptionally weird that you are taking this position.  But it's not weird considering that I took a contrary position.  Try having your own opinions on things.

Edited by Triumph

Well that thread got further derailed by people discussing behavior of other members in relation to the thread policing. You can pretend to be watching from afar, but in many ways isn't your comment just as detrimental to staying on topic as the "off duty cops"?

:)

lol i get what you're saying. But bottom line what i mean is... it's no big deal lol this place is awesome and sure its better when things are all organized and all but it's just a message board and people comes here to be entertained. We're not the front page of a huge news site where everything has to be flawless and serious lol

and of course im a part of it too and that's the point. I know i can derail threads sometimes. So im not gonna go and bash people for doing it.

Edited by SterioDesign

Anyway, back on topic.

Larsson's production last year was a bit flukey. He was in on a extraordinary amount of Devils goals while he was on the ice. I think he generates a higher shooting percentage, due to his vision, but not to the extent that we saw last year.

Will be interesting to see if he gets PP time. Gelinas, Severson, Merrill and Moore appear have the inside track and I suspect Larsson and Greene will do most of the heavy lifting on the PK

Anyway, back on topic.

Larsson's production last year was a bit flukey. He was in on a extraordinary amount of Devils goals while he was on the ice. I think he generates a higher shooting percentage, due to his vision, but not to the extent that we saw last year.

Will be interesting to see if he gets PP time. Gelinas, Severson, Merrill and Moore appear have the inside track and I suspect Larsson and Greene will do most of the heavy lifting on the PK

Sterio:  I'll address this because you are going to spend the rest of your time on this board sniping at me, apparently, though I fully welcome the obsession you have, and it's cool and good that you like making posts to someone who has you on ignore and doesn't really engage with you at all.  The Zajac discussion grew out of the Larsson discussion.  I don't like that it happened, but it's the summer and that's going to happen - that's the nature of threads.  If this board had stricter moderation, I wouldn't do it, or else the mod would pull out this discussion and stick it somewhere else.  If I were a moderator I would've kicked this thread back on topic, but since I'm not and there are 3 guys here who disagree with anything non-hockey I feel the temerity to express, why would I do that?  Regardless, it's not some poster asking 'What are the details of Zajac's contract?' in this thread - that is purposefully derailing the thread because he's too dumb and impolite to search the Internet for it.  This came out of the idea of long-term contracts.

Since you obviously realize from your follow up post that you don't mind derails, and you have derailed a million threads before this with the 3 things you like to talk about, it's exceptionally weird that you are taking this position.  But it's not weird considering that I took a contrary position.  Try having your own opinions on things.

I hope you guys don't mind I go a little more off topic.  But I just found it interesting of how Tri is so critical of moding but is also at very least a contributor and at most a perpetrator of thread derailment:  when and why was he no longer a mod?  I see him say things like he just said and then SM finally jumps in to get the thread on track (again, I apologize for not getting it on track) but it is an interest for those who weren't specifically enveloped in the forum for so long.

I will try to make a point to make it a little on topic.  I do feel like Larsson can easily make this contract tolerable, but Larsson seems to be a little soft for me.  He is more of a Jack Johnson than a Victor Hedman.  Although, I will say he can still be either one of those two, I just personally the feeling that he is the former.

Triumph and a few others were made Mods of the chat feature here on this site.  To be honest I am not sure if the chat room here is still active or if it even exists anymore.  Regardless him and a few others have "Mod" in their title but do not have Mod rights in the general forums.

Right now the only three posters that I know that have Mod rights here are DM, msweet and Rowdy.

I hope you guys don't mind I go a little more off topic.  But I just found it interesting of how Tri is so critical of moding but is also at very least a contributor and at most a perpetrator of thread derailment:  when and why was he no longer a mod?  I see him say things like he just said and then SM finally jumps in to get the thread on track (again, I apologize for not getting it on track) but it is an interest for those who weren't specifically enveloped in the forum for so long.

I will try to make a point to make it a little on topic.  I do feel like Larsson can easily make this contract tolerable, but Larsson seems to be a little soft for me.  He is more of a Jack Johnson than a Victor Hedman.  Although, I will say he can still be either one of those two, I just personally the feeling that he is the former.

If you're referring to Larsson being soft regarding physicality, I thought he actually made a big jump this past season in the physical part of the game, he played a lot meaner and more physical against opposing forwards. And also Jack Johnson is a much more physical player than Hedman, again if that's what you're referring to, Johnson had 157 Hits last season compared to Hedman's 51 Hits.

for me Larsson is still young and so far to me until further notice... he'll be a slightly above average NHLer. He did show he could be more at time but he also showed he could be less so im still not decided but at that price and for that long. No problem at all with that contract

If you're referring to Larsson being soft regarding physicality, I thought he actually made a big jump this past season in the physical part of the game, he played a lot meaner and more physical against opposing forwards. And also Jack Johnson is a much more physical player than Hedman, again if that's what you're referring to, Johnson had 157 Hits last season compared to Hedman's 51 Hits.

I totally agree.  I think this last season especially, he's become tougher to play against.  Whether or not that was the influence of Stevens is yet to be seen, however, imagine a more physical Hedman as our number 1 defender.  A Johnson-Hedman hybrid if you will.  

Anyway, back on topic.

I think Larsson could see PP team over Merrill, I think he's a better offensive player than Merrill.  I think the Devils envision him as a 23-24 minute a game guy.  I wish they had 4 PK D and 4 PP D, we'll see if that's how they go about - last year they tended to use 3 on the PK until the coaching change when I think they switched to 4.

I was never a mod.  I was the moderator of the chat room once upon a time, as were several other posters whose names appear in gold.  That room no longer operates the same way.  That title has never been removed, which creates confusion like this.  

As for derailments, I also am not perfect, and never claimed to be. I respond when I see something I want to talk about, and that will often lead me astray.  Sometimes I'll derail the thread by bringing something tiny up and someone will respond to that and a new discussion will come of that.  It's bound to happen.  On other boards these threads are either removed, merged into other threads, spun out into new threads, or people are told to stop.   Here, they lead to boring discussions like this and posters sniping at each other.

Edited by Triumph

I think Larsson could see PP team over Merrill, I think he's a better offensive player than Merrill.  I think the Devils envision him as a 23-24 minute a game guy.  I wish they had 4 PK D and 4 PP D, we'll see if that's how they go about - last year they tended to use 3 on the PK until the coaching change when I think they switched to 4.

If you arent using Merrill on the PP, then you have to use him on the PK. I dont recall him being particularly strong shorthanded

If you arent using Merrill on the PP, then you have to use him on the PK. I dont recall him being particularly strong shorthanded

Who would you use otherwise? I've said it before when we signed Moore, but the PK is a concern for me. Honestly I don't fully trust any of our D there other than Greene. 

My guess would be

Greene-Larsson

Merrill-Severson

I'd also think Hynes goes with 4 forwards on the PP with some rotation of Severson, Gelinas and Moore as the fifth.

Who would you use otherwise? I've said it before when we signed Moore, but the PK is a concern for me. Honestly I don't fully trust any of our D there other than Greene. 

My guess would be

Greene-Larsson

Merrill-Severson

I'd also think Hynes goes with 4 forwards on the PP with some rotation of Severson, Gelinas and Moore as the fifth.

Hmm, I think we could see some Hrabarenka or Helgeson on the PK with Greener, especially if Larsson/Merril/Severson is going to see more PP time.  So I'd say Moore or whoever that is that 6th dman is going to catch some PK time.  I don't think Moore is known for being a solid PK'er,but his defensive play is apparently very very good.  I remember thinking that he sucked something terribly when he was a Rangers. lol

Johnson is also a garbage defenseman who never has the puck. Not to mention how garbage of a stat hits is. 

Larsson just seemed less soft because he was more in position to make better defensive plays and didn't get laid out like in years past.